Gransnet forums

Chat

Las Vegas

(37 Posts)
dogsmother Sun 29-Sep-19 11:13:18

Anyone give me some advice please.
We are starting a holiday with two or three days in Vegas in November, having never been inclined before is there anything I should not miss. We are staying in one of the non gambling hotels although not averse.... and will be seeing the Grand Canyon....
Thanks in anticipation x

Riverwalk Mon 30-Sep-19 11:10:46

It's great fun with so much to do and see and as others have said a visit to the Hoover Dam is a must - quite a spectacular feat of engineering.

The Grand Canyon is beyond words - except to say I did it the hard way, down to the base and back on the back of a mule!

The OP asked for advice - I don't know why po-faced people come on and sniff when they've never been!

Lewie Mon 30-Sep-19 11:35:09

I've never fancied Las Vegas (sleazy?) but my DH has always wanted to go. After reading all your positive comments, I'm all fired up for going!!
I visited the Grand Canyon many years ago whilst touring California, and have made the helicopter trip AND the mule ride (hairy!) but again DH has never been, so maybe 2020 is the year to do it.

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Sep-19 11:41:37

Oh, I’m sure you’ll have fun, dogmother, I’ve only met one person who didn’t. All my favourites have been mentioned, apart from cocktails at the Stratosphere, which work out cheaper than just paying to go up for the view. I leant on the glass up there, Ferris Bueller style, and had to be physically hauled back by two friends. grin We stayed at the Paris, and I’d recommend their breakfast buffet, but time the Bellagio one with unlimited champagne right and you can segue from breakfast to lunch (they put different food out - there’s lots of lovely seafood if you like it). We saw Rod Stewart, who fills in regularly at Caesar’s Palace. He was fab and even encouraged people to go up on stage for photos while he was singing. Grab yourself a massive cocktail in a souvenir cup (I’ve still got my Paris balloon) and have a flutter for goodness’ sake. I lost a fair bit on the roulette tables but made it all up and more on the last night. I put 5 dollars in a fruit machine, played for 30 exciting minutes and won over 200. ? Oh, and do the sky walk at the Grand Canyon. The Hoover Dam wasn’t a highlight for me. Have fun!

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Sep-19 12:00:58

I forgot to say, the Stratosphere’s Sky Lounge has two for one on both cocktails and lovely food platters from 4 till 7. Another recommendation, especially if you like seafood, is the Bubba Gump restaurant, which has a great view over the strip.

Oh, I really want to go again now!

BillShiphr Tue 15-Sep-20 21:14:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

J52 Tue 15-Sep-20 21:46:51

I can only agree with the positive comments, it’s a great fun place. A bit like Disney Land for adults!
We went for New Year, so extra special.
Weather wise it’s warm during the day, but as it’s a desert climate it can be chilly at night and wandering along The Strip in the dark is a must. It’s the city that never sleeps.
Have a great time.

Esspee Tue 15-Sep-20 22:08:56

As this thread is a year old the OP will have been and made up her own mind.
We visited there on the way to the Grand Canyon which is awesome (in the true meaning of the word).
As for Vegas, wild horses couldn’t get me back there.
Tacky, tacky, tacky!.

JenniferEccles Tue 15-Sep-20 22:29:10

What an exciting sounding holiday! I haven’t been but everyone I know who has been raves about the Grand Canyon.

It will all be a wonderful distraction from all the goings on here.

Please tell everyone here how you got on upon your return!

MerylStreep Tue 15-Sep-20 22:39:50

Make sure you take a coat when you visit the canyon. Snow starts in November.

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-Sep-20 23:05:53

For goodness’ sake, I’ve just read through this whole thread, and only realised it was from 2019 when I got to my own post! grin

I’m not sure what this says about my memory, but it’d be interesting to know what dogsmother made of Vegas.

Callistemon Tue 15-Sep-20 23:21:11

Revived by a spammer!