Gransnet forums

Chat

True or False

(58 Posts)
annsixty Mon 30-Sep-19 10:48:12

That vast numbers of posters on GN, including me I add, are motivated by jealousy?
I had always thought of myself as a caring and compassionate person.
How wrongly we see ourselves.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 01-Oct-19 11:04:08

Jealous of anything in particular? I've not noticed it but maybe I'm a bit thick.

It's only human nature to feel envy if others are cleverer, richer, more successful, younger, prettier, etc, etc.

On the whole I expect people on GN are a bit older, more experienced in life and have a better perspective on things due and are full of sage advice with a sense of humour thrown in. We've been there, done that, been sick down the t-shirt.

There's good and bad in all.

Sara65 Tue 01-Oct-19 11:18:28

Ellan

Oddly enough this was our breakfast conversation, we were discussing some old friends who constantly strove to have the biggest and flashiest of everything, they were never happy unless they thought we were all madly envious of them, we weren’t!

Judy54 Tue 01-Oct-19 14:56:52

As I said earlier I don't so much detect jealousy as judgment from some users. Most people on GN do not do this and understand what GN is all about. As GN tells us this forum is for debate, support and sharing a laugh. We are asked to use the same courtesy we would show when speaking face to face. Personally I find the majority of people do just that. There is absolutely no need for the minority to use bad manners and impoliteness. They spoil the enjoyment of this forum for those who want to discuss important issues in a balanced and logical way without getting out of their pram!

crazyH Tue 01-Oct-19 15:35:45

The only person I am jealous of is my friend, whose 2 of 3 sons are unbelievably devoted to her - they take her on holidays , they are at her beck and call. She only has to sneeze and they are there with a bottle of Vick - half the time she exaggerates her illnesses - our cold is her flu. There you go - I have exhibited all the signs of a very jealous person.?

Luckygirl Tue 01-Oct-19 15:46:40

Nope - jealousy has not jumped out at me as a theme on Gransnet; and very definitely not from your post ann.

If someone on here has made you feel bad, then you need to completely ignore them. As others have said, it is easy to be unkind from behind the shelter of the internet. On the occasions when this happens, I tell myself that I cannot know what is going on in that person's life that makes them hit out inappropriately.

On the other hand, I have been on the receiving end of some wonderful kindness during recent troubles and am very thankful indeed for that. On the whole these acts of kindness far outway the occasional bit of flak.

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 15:49:15

Not. a. clue.

and

C.b.a.

dogsmother Tue 01-Oct-19 16:01:44

Nobody should judge.
Nor should anyone begrudge another.
You never ever know when things change for others or moreover for yourself.