Gransnet forums

Chat

causing offense?

(230 Posts)
Fennel Fri 04-Oct-19 12:00:16

I was in the lift going up to Tesco yesterday, with a Gran and her grandson in a push chair.
The little boy had beautiful auburn hair so I said "He's a real gingernut!" At first I thought the Gran didn't look too pleased, so I said "My hair used to be that colour". After a pause, she said "So was mine".
Do some people take offense at being called Ginger? I got called many teasing names.

GrannySomerset Tue 08-Oct-19 13:44:19

DGD1 has the most amazing dark red hair but got teased by older boys at primary school. I taught her to stare very slowly at her tormentors, starting at their feet; when she reached their faces she said “better than mouse” and walked away. It worked really well and in the last ten years has had no trouble. Always best to teach a riposte if possible!

Annaram1 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:28:35

I had lovely red hair in my younger days and always loved it. I liked being called Ginger. Can remember admiring it as a curtain across my eyes and the sun catching it and it was beautiful. I think anyone who is rude about red hair is just jealous.

Bridgeit Wed 09-Oct-19 20:56:47

My hair colour was referred to as ‘ mousey ‘ as were many others, along with shorty, etc ,etc, I have always admired red, ginger, auburn hair.
The thing is that’s how humans are to each other, mostly they are terms of endearment, & friendliness. BUT sadly these same endearing words when used in a derogatory way, become nasty & hurtful and become the tools of the bully.
Why do people become bullies ? Well that’s another topic.

Doodledog Thu 10-Oct-19 19:11:23

FWIW, Prince Harry and Ed Sheeran have just been on The One Show talking about something to do with 'gingers' and mental health.

I missed a lot of it, but it is mental health day today, and they were definitely talking about that, and probably bullying,