Gransnet forums

Chat

Who would you like to give a little cheer to - and why?

(53 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 05-Oct-19 00:35:35

Oldtimers on here will already know that my husband (aka The Wonderful Man) is really pretty special. As a husband and father we think he's exceptional (our children and grandchildren adore him), but I'd just like to give a little cheer for his work ethic.

He's a mid-level civil servant in a fairly unique role so I can't say too much because he could be easily identified. At work (as at home) he is a byword for integrity, honesty, kindliness and sheer hard work - I know this because I see it myself in his commitment to the job and I've also met a lot of his colleagues who can't wait to tell me anecdotes to this effect.

He could have continued a very lucrative career in the private sector, but instead he made a deliberate decision to work for the public good and has now been in the same sector for more than 25 years. Recently he was asked to give a talk to a great number of workers in the organisation. He was very nervous about doing so because he's a genuinely modest man, but today I asked him to show me some of the (many) emails and texts he received after giving his speech and I'm so proud of him. The feedback was unsolicited and most people included the word 'inspirational' to describe him and shared how they were deeply impacted by what he had to say.

Who would you like to give a little cheer to - and why?

BradfordLass72 Sat 05-Oct-19 04:10:43

How lovely. What a real treasure your husband is and so sweet of you to stand up and praise him - he deserves it.

He sounds a lot like my son who, all his life has had, "a heart for others".

He has the same attitude of honesty and integrity as your DH and, like you, I have received numerous comments over the years from colleagues and friends.

Even as a little boy he would bring friends home because, "Mum, he didn't have any dinner and I gave him mine but he's still hungry." smile

When he worked in security in London, he would take piles of sandwiches and flasks of hot tea for the homeless who came to the site for shelter (they weren't supposed to!).

He once gave his winter coat to a man in shirt-sleeves, sleeping in an alleyway in February and later walked the 5 miles home at 3am, in bitter weather in just his shirt sleeves smile.

Now, at 40, he is just the same and recently spent all his considerable savings on legal counsel to try and prevent a little boy being taken, unjustly, from his mother.

I am immensely proud of him and feel it a real privilege to be his Mum.

We need more quiet heroes like this.

sodapop Sat 05-Oct-19 07:50:41

I would like to offer help and cheer to all those family members who are caring at home for their loved ones. Parents of children with disabilities, husbands and wives caring for a partner with dementia, young children caring for parents. The list goes on. They do everything from love and are so often unappreciated. Thanks to them all thanks

Pantglas2 Sat 05-Oct-19 08:03:57

My grandson has recently been given a 2year apprenticeship with the emergency services following on from a twelve month work experience course with them, coordinated through college.

He was one of a group of 10 who started the WE course a year ago and he had the furthest to travel to college twice a week but he never missed a day even when trains were delayed or cancelled. Only two completed the year and he is the only one to be offered the apprenticeship.

Just so proud that he is hard working, polite and pleasant enough to be valued at such a young age.

BradfordLass72 Sat 05-Oct-19 09:00:19

annsixty and Luckygirl for how they battled on, for the sheer, devoted love of their husbands, against unfeeling and inhumane beaurocracy which sometimes brought them to the very edge of despair.

flowers flowers flowers flowers flowers flowers
flowers flowers flowers flowers flowers flowers

I don't know that I could have done half what they did.

lemongrove Sat 05-Oct-19 09:39:06

sodapop well said, and that’s who I would give a cheer to as well.??

Auntieflo Sat 05-Oct-19 09:49:23

GA, what a lovely tribute to your husband, he is a treasure indeed.
My own DH, is my rock. He is unfailingly honest and kind, with deep core values that he tries always to live by.
What I can say, without going into too much detail, is that he save our son's sanity, when he was faced with a very difficult situation.
He would give his all for family and for anyone in need.
I love him very much, but I am such a pain, that I don't know how he puts up with me. But he does!

KatyK Sat 05-Oct-19 10:04:32

My husband. He is kind, caring, never ever criticises me, although I am a whingeing pain in the doodahs. He has diabetes, prostate cancer and a few other health problems but is always upbeat and cheerful. He went through 37 days of radiotherapy, scans and all sorts without a word of complaint. We are now in the position where there may or may not be a problem with the cancer and still he is upbeat and cheerful.

Namsnanny Sat 05-Oct-19 18:29:56

KatyK...I hope things turn out for the best. Will you be able to let us know how he gets on? flowers

Susan56 Sat 05-Oct-19 18:50:45

Bradfordlass totally agree re Ann and lucky.They have both been such amazing advocates for their husbands and have taught us all so much.?

KatyK Sat 05-Oct-19 19:13:21

Thank you Namsnanny how kind. They are leaving him until January to have another blood test. Fingers crossed.

SirChenjin Sat 05-Oct-19 19:21:04

Amazing, heart warming stories, and what a lovely thread - you must all be immensely proud of your loved ones smile

I’m going to give a little cheer to my daughter. She had struggled with very severe IBS (if indeed it is that) for many years which means she’s in pain a lot of the time, severely restricts what she can do because she needs to be close to a loo, and limits what she can eat and drink. Coping with that and moving to university was a huge challenge, especially as her course involves 12 hour shifts, and on several occasions she was very close to throwing in the towel and moving home. She’s quite shy and found it hard to make friends so life was quite tough for her. She’s now in third year, has made friends, has a lovely boyfriend, has learned to cope with her IBS/whatever it is, gets amazing feedback from her placements, does well in her studies, volunteers for a helpline and has applied for part time work which she hopes to start soon. I’m immensely proud of her and everything she’s achieved as it really hasn’t been easy for her smile

Greenfinch Sat 05-Oct-19 20:18:35

My husband for all the care and support he gives me even though his health is not good. He has COPD, diabetes and macular degeneration in one eye but never complains about any of it. We are having a difficult time at the moment because my daughter is unwell and we have her two children living with us.Last week someone drove into his car and he is having to sort that out as well but his main concern is that I don't overdo it and so he cooks several times a week and goes out to buy a takeaway once a week. He always has time for others and even puts up with my snoring !grin

annsixty Sat 05-Oct-19 21:08:17

I am very humbled that some of you consider me as being special.
I can only say I cared for my H as I felt appropriate after a marriage of 60 years.
It wasn't always perfect, what marriage after so many years is?
It wasn't always
But we loved each other very much and I felt I wanted to care for him as long as I could.
To my eternal dismay, I had to give in 4 months before he died , I will live with that but I did what I could.
Both my A.C. are not with their spouses, that is a huge regret to me.

crazyH Sat 05-Oct-19 21:22:22

To all the Parents and Grandparents who are estranged from their children and grandchildren through no fault of their own, or even through a perceived fault. To all of them, whose hearts are aching and breaking flowers

EllanVannin Sat 05-Oct-19 21:42:13

Very well done to those who are battling illness but carry on regardless. You have my greatest respect. Kudos to you.

It has to be my younger daughter who, through years of being married to a controlling husband ( now ex ) managed to keep her sanity through adversity and get a " job for life " in her mid 40's , a 10 year mortgage after she'd been in her job a few years, was given a supervisor position after her hard work and being appreciated by the staff she works with as well as being popular with a " big boss " in the establishment.

Her son ( my GS ) still lives at home, whose father was never a support to him could have gone down the wrong road and nearly did at one time but he too managed to turn his life around and has been working for a few years now, he's in his early 30's and helps with the mortgage and cooks his mum meals if he's not doing shifts. He's amazing too if slightly sensitive but a loving chap.

D has also been there and still is, for her 7 GC should she be needed, and the kids love her. She's now in her late 50's and has no worries whatsoever with her life which satisfies me no end. There's no better feeling than seeing the family settled and happy. I don't wish for anything else.

grannyqueenie Sun 06-Oct-19 00:00:59

My lovely son in law whose sister died today. He has supported her, his parents and the whole family magnificently. I could not be prouder of him, my daughter and our grandchildren this weekend.

BradfordLass72 Sun 06-Oct-19 00:28:58

How many wonderful people there are in the world.

flowers Thanks grannyactivist for such an amazingly heartwarming thread. It's cheered me up no end smile

KatyK Sun 06-Oct-19 09:50:35

Just to add about my husband, he once donated his bone marrow to a complete stranger to try to save her life.smile

Gonegirl Sun 06-Oct-19 10:11:36

BradfordLass72. Wow! Just wow. You have a son to be proud of.

Rosina Sun 06-Oct-19 10:12:14

I often think about the young man who donated bone marrow and the young woman in our family has lived on because of his kindness to a complete stranger.
This thread is marvelous; what a heart lifting set of posts to read. It restores faith and confirms what we all know in truth - this world is driven by love and not by hate.

hilz Sun 06-Oct-19 10:14:52

Every one of us that shows any human kindness to another today gets my vote.

gillybob Sun 06-Oct-19 10:17:16

We need more quiet heroes like this

We do indeed Bradfordlass those people who just go about their usual business doing good things for others along the way, but rarely get any praise or recognition for what they do. Well done your son you should be proud of him.

KatyK Sun 06-Oct-19 10:28:54

Brings back your faith in human nature. You son is a gem Bradfordlass

maryhoffman37 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:33:33

There's a difference between "cheer" and " a cheer." I would like to bring cheer to all those poor souls who have to use food banks, who have been shafted by austerity and universal credit woes, while watching the rich get even richer (as they will after Brexit).

But the cheers are for my husband, the handsome, intelligent, encyclopaedically knowledgeable about music, literature and science, man I met 50 years ago this Halloween. Still loving, kind and imaginative. I have no idea how he puts up with me but am grateful every day. He is retired now but has been Director of Social Services in a big London Borough, Chair of three Safeguarding boards, Chair of adoption panels and had to deal with sensitive and confidential issues which, like the OP's husband, he has always done with integrity. His last job was also in Safeguarding and I think he has saved many people.