Gransnet forums

Chat

Who would you like to give a little cheer to - and why?

(53 Posts)
sodapop Sat 05-Oct-19 07:50:41

I would like to offer help and cheer to all those family members who are caring at home for their loved ones. Parents of children with disabilities, husbands and wives caring for a partner with dementia, young children caring for parents. The list goes on. They do everything from love and are so often unappreciated. Thanks to them all thanks

BradfordLass72 Sat 05-Oct-19 04:10:43

How lovely. What a real treasure your husband is and so sweet of you to stand up and praise him - he deserves it.

He sounds a lot like my son who, all his life has had, "a heart for others".

He has the same attitude of honesty and integrity as your DH and, like you, I have received numerous comments over the years from colleagues and friends.

Even as a little boy he would bring friends home because, "Mum, he didn't have any dinner and I gave him mine but he's still hungry." smile

When he worked in security in London, he would take piles of sandwiches and flasks of hot tea for the homeless who came to the site for shelter (they weren't supposed to!).

He once gave his winter coat to a man in shirt-sleeves, sleeping in an alleyway in February and later walked the 5 miles home at 3am, in bitter weather in just his shirt sleeves smile.

Now, at 40, he is just the same and recently spent all his considerable savings on legal counsel to try and prevent a little boy being taken, unjustly, from his mother.

I am immensely proud of him and feel it a real privilege to be his Mum.

We need more quiet heroes like this.

grannyactivist Sat 05-Oct-19 00:35:35

Oldtimers on here will already know that my husband (aka The Wonderful Man) is really pretty special. As a husband and father we think he's exceptional (our children and grandchildren adore him), but I'd just like to give a little cheer for his work ethic.

He's a mid-level civil servant in a fairly unique role so I can't say too much because he could be easily identified. At work (as at home) he is a byword for integrity, honesty, kindliness and sheer hard work - I know this because I see it myself in his commitment to the job and I've also met a lot of his colleagues who can't wait to tell me anecdotes to this effect.

He could have continued a very lucrative career in the private sector, but instead he made a deliberate decision to work for the public good and has now been in the same sector for more than 25 years. Recently he was asked to give a talk to a great number of workers in the organisation. He was very nervous about doing so because he's a genuinely modest man, but today I asked him to show me some of the (many) emails and texts he received after giving his speech and I'm so proud of him. The feedback was unsolicited and most people included the word 'inspirational' to describe him and shared how they were deeply impacted by what he had to say.

Who would you like to give a little cheer to - and why?