Gransnet forums

Chat

Family Greetings cards

(105 Posts)
DanniRae Sat 05-Oct-19 17:52:29

Running out of storage space I have spent all afternoon sorting through and getting rid of all my Adult children's greeting cards to me through the years - Birthday Cards......Christmas Cards......Mother's Day Cards.
It was a difficult decision but, realistically, whose going to interested in them when I am gone?
Has anyone else saved all their children's cards to them?

EthelJ Mon 07-Oct-19 15:50:08

I find it hard to bin them, especially if they have personal messages in them. But then I have kept all my 21st birthday cards too. I suppose I should get rid of them bit I can't, especially ones from people who have now died

Tigertooth Mon 07-Oct-19 16:12:22

My firstborn (son) -I kept all of his congrats on birth And first BD cards.
Didn’t keep any for next 3DC.
Now DD at 19 is deeply miffed that I didn’t keep hers. DS’s - I have - he couldn’t care less!

callgirl1 Mon 07-Oct-19 16:27:51

I`ve always kept all cards from my hubby, but the others are on display for one week from my birthday, then go in the recycling bin. When I kick the bucket, my kids will probably bin the lot.
My husband played in a brass band for many years, so I also have a collection of programmes and tickets from concerts that he played in, something else my kids will gleefully chuck in the bin!

Calendargirl Tue 08-Oct-19 13:03:11

After reading this post days ago, I have spent this morning sorting ‘stuff’, including going through my already ‘sorted’ cards, determined to chuck even more away.
Well, I have outed more, but some I have still hung onto- DM’s last Christmas card, in shaky writing, but thanking me and DH for all we did for her, our DD’s Thanksgiving card, sent while working as a rather homesick au pair in the USA when just 19, (now45), the first Mother and Father’s Day cards from our own children back in the 70’s, obviously from our other halves etc. etc.
I shed a few sentimental tears, and put a much reduced pile back in the box, no doubt to be sorted again some other time!