Gransnet forums

Chat

things from the past you dont see now

(155 Posts)
paddyann Sun 06-Oct-19 01:39:45

Today I found an ANKH in a drawer ..remember them ? This one was made of Siamese silver which was really fashionable when I was in my mid teens .I think it was a gift from a boyfriend ...I haven't come across it for decades . I dont think I've seen Siamese silver since 1972. It just appeared out of nowhere.Do you have anything that isn't seen nowadays ?

annodomini Fri 11-Oct-19 15:25:50

chestnut. You've reminded me of the school wireless. If there was a broadcast our teacher wanted us to hear, she (they were all women) had to send two strong boys to fetch it. It really was immense! The day of George VI's funeral, we trooped into the school hall and listened to the service on the wireless. And also in the hall, we bounced or swayed around to Music and Movement for Infants and, later, Music and Movement for Juniors.

Auntieflo Fri 11-Oct-19 17:16:27

DanniRae as well as the tea caddy, we also had a wall mounted can opener.
When we were at infant school, we had little camp beds to nap on in the afternoon. The radio was put on and we had a sleep. Can't imagine that theses days.

pensionpat Fri 11-Oct-19 18:54:55

We had a kitchen cabinet with a drop-down door to give a surface to work on. But not to roll pastry as I found when the whole think tipped over me.

Scribbles Fri 11-Oct-19 19:06:17

When did you last see a Telex machine in an office?