Gransnet forums

Chat

Park home...

(37 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 08-Oct-19 13:18:10

.......anyone ever lived one?

Auntieflo Wed 09-Oct-19 10:13:14

Lucky, I hope you are feeling as though you will be able to get through this nightmare minefield.
There must be an organisation that is expert in helping with the situation you find yourself in. You probably have explored all sorts of avenues, but we live in hope that you may find a solution.
We have followed your nail-biting path, with always the thought that a miracle will happen.
I am so sorry that we cannot help, but please keep us up to date with how things pan out. Exhausting as it may be.
Thought, and love and prayers for your journey.

kittylester Wed 09-Oct-19 10:37:15

I think Ageuk is a good first port of call. Their website has lots of good downloads.

JenniferEccles Wed 09-Oct-19 10:56:39

I would definitely advise waiting. The government has promised (yes I know all about every government’s broken promises) it will end the gross unfairness of folk having to sell their home to pay care fees.

Obviously it won’t happen quickly but it would be a huge shame if you sold just before the new legislation came into force.

SueDonim Wed 09-Oct-19 11:03:48

Thank you for explaining your situation, Luckygirl. I understand now, though am spitting tacks with rage at the unfairness of it all. angry I also understand now that you feel you want a safety net in your mind - I'd be like that too.

What happens to residents whose ability to pay runs out? That can't be an uncommon situation.

Riverwalk Wed 09-Oct-19 12:01:11

If you do go down the route of selling, instead of buying a park home what about selling-up completely and renting?

I'm surprised to read on other threads that you can sell a property then rent a housing association flat, one for the over 55s presumably.

With a park home, private flat whatever, you would have maintenance, service charge etc., which would eat into your capital, if you have any left that is.

When eventually you are bled-dry by your husband's NH fees and your own living expenses you would get pension credit and housing benefit.

I'm just thinking out loud here!

humptydumpty Wed 09-Oct-19 13:08:42

Lucky in your OP you mention the possibility of mortgaging - I see there are now a number of building societies offering a lifetime mortgage, is that something you could consider?

travelsafar Wed 09-Oct-19 13:10:36

Just a thought, but have you been given info about getting an advocate to help you and speak on your behalf. Pohwer is one name that springs to mind and i believe your local council should be able to help you obtain one. You are wading through a minefield and someone who could take some of the load may be helpful.

Luckygirl Wed 09-Oct-19 17:23:59

Thank you for advice and for the useful link.

I have been registered with AgeUK for financial advice and given the relevant phone number - but I cannot get through. There are probably millions of us in this situation. I have a fairly free day tomorrow so I will try again.

I spent this afternoon at the NH where a SW took me, a nurse and my OH through a gruelling 1.5 hours filling in a form with silly rigid questions concentrating on what he can't do - well that cheered us all up!

She is however hopeful that we will get the SSD contribution towards the NH, although the decision will not be made till Thursday of next week - about £300 a week is what will come from them - so that only leaves me with £900 a week to find!!!

sodapop Wed 09-Oct-19 18:05:00

Absolutely disgraceful Luckygirl You should not have this extra stress on top of everything else. Maw is right don't do anything in a hurry, look at your options. There have been several good suggestions on here.
Park Homes are much improved now and can be quite luxurious. However there can be additional expenses attached to owning one which can mount up so beware.

Time for the country and the Government to look at ways of funding care for older and other vulnerable people.

NfkDumpling Wed 09-Oct-19 19:12:03

I understand you need to have a back up plan and, if it’s any help, my DS came very close to purchasing some land with the idea of putting a new park home on it. The park homes he (we - I’m nosey!) looked at were lush! Very nice, well insulated and nice layouts. Very liveable. But little or no storage if you’re a bit of a hoarder.

How would it pan out for benefits though? Surely you’ll put yourself over the savings limit and you’ll have to pay the full whack which will rather negate the benefits of selling up?

52bright Wed 09-Oct-19 19:33:15

Lots of wise advice here Luckygirl. When a neighbour's mother went into a very good care home because of advanced dementia, her husband was allowed to remain in his home until he died. When the house was eventually sold to release the owed money it did not provide the full amount. As my neighbour said ...they can't get blood out of a stone'. Obviously I don't know the whole story...only what my neighbour said but as I understand it, the amount raised by the house was released to the local authority and the LA had to write off the rest. Quite reasonable. Those without any funds are usually fully funded so when the neighbour's parents' funds ran out they were then in the same position.

Please don't rush into anything ...whatever they say. Of course every situation is different. Hope the meeting goes well. We are all rooting for you. flowers