Gransnet forums

Chat

Rude guests. Or is it me?

(104 Posts)
Shizam Thu 10-Oct-19 23:15:58

Two separate friends invited themselves to my house this week, needing a place to stay on the same night. Just because of my house location. So me vacuuming, bed changing etc. Parking permits, wine given etc.
Neither gave any gesture in return, apart from thanks on WhatsApp. One went to Paris from here. Even a croissant might have been nice!
I always take something when invited somewhere. Even if just a pot of herbs. And they invited themselves!
Still feeling vexed about it! Next time, I will be mysteriously away....Or maybe I’m just being crabby.

Evie64 Sun 13-Oct-19 02:23:04

Outrageous behaviour. I wouldn't dream of turning up a friends house, even for an evening, without bringing a gift of some sort, flowers, wine etc. If we ever stay with friends, I always make a point of doing all the washing up without being asked and also strip the bed in the morning. Some people don't deserve to be friends.

Witzend Sun 13-Oct-19 07:51:21

Thank goodness, although we have many visitors, we've only had one CF guest in the past few years - a Canadian cousin I'd never met before. He brought nothing, stayed 10 nights, I took him round London to see the sights, he never once put his hand in his pocket.

Dd was more assertive. He was over 20 years older than her, but when he wanted to visit a few pubs, she agreed to go with him - and he sat there while she paid for the first 2 rounds. For the 3rd she said, 'Come on - it's your turn.'

After he left there was not so much as an email to say thank you.
Never again - it will def. be 'not convenient' if he ever asks again.

mokryna Sun 13-Oct-19 10:02:09

Oh, Yes the pub round. If you are single and you are out with a couple, why is it I pay alternately and not every third?