Gransnet forums

Chat

Help! I need menopause advice....

(56 Posts)
hellsbells148 Fri 11-Oct-19 13:20:08

I'm 55 and have been tested recently for rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia etc and all my blood tests have come back clear. I think I'm practically over the menopause, I haven't had a period for well over 3 years and I have no more sweats/flushes. I have low thyroid, folate deficiency, restless legs and a lovely range of autoimmune conditions, all under control through medication. I had an emergency appendectomy a year ago, but in the past 2 years I've felt increasingly weak, clumsy, and in tremendous pain in my joints and bones. I'm exhausted a lot of the time, and feel absolutely crap. I can just about manage to go to work and come home, even housework is getting too much. In this time I've changed my diet to a practically vegetarian, much healthier diet, and tried to go swimming as regularly as my depleted energy levels will allow. Given that my blood tests are clear, can anyone tell me - is this the menopause?? I'm terrified because my Grandma died at 63 of multiple myeloma that was undiagnosed until 3 weeks before her death and she was feeling awful for ages but got fobbed off by doctors. Advice please.....(sad)

Merryweather Sun 13-Oct-19 01:33:02

I have Fibro and ME, there's no blood test for either. I'm afraid they are usually diagnosed on the basis of a lack of diagonsable condition ie they can't find any other explanation for the symptoms.

My symptoms are similar to yours, exhaustion, pain, restless legs etc. There are drugs available to help elevate but not cure I'm afraid.

I was diagnosed with ME in my 20's after a bout of pneumonia and pleurisy. I never recovered. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in my early 30's.
It's a life altering life limiting condition that affects different people differently, and is changeable hour to hour. One minute I'm having an OK day the next I'm slurring my words and can't keep my eves open. Don't get me started on the pain! It never goes away.

Feel free to pm me anytime. There are a few support groups and therapies and I've found a few things that help.

Good luck and rest rest rest. Xx

Evie64 Sun 13-Oct-19 02:40:21

I also have a lot of those symptoms and rue the day that the GP told me I should probably stop my HRT. I did and my god, what a mistake that was. Not only do I feel like crap most of the time, but I've put on so much belly weight that I look pregnant (male pattern fatness). GN's out there on HRT, refuse to stop taking it unless there is a strong family history of breast cancer on your family.

Caro57 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:42:02

It does sound as if you are having a really big struggle. Go back to GP with a detailed list of all your symptoms. Makes out of 10 for pain, energy levels etc. Are useful for GP. E.g. 10/10 pain / energy is unbearable / can’t move and 1/10 is no pain / full of energy. Keep a note if what you were doing and the scores. Also ask GP to get your bowel checked, fatigue can be an indicator of possible problems. Above all be persistent

Shropshirelass Tue 15-Oct-19 09:04:44

Have the doctors considered testing you for ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as it was previously called. My husband has it and sounds very similar to you, it is very debilitating. Also, although you have gone vegetarian, have you considered the Keto diet. My daughter is on it and is fitter, slimmer and has more energy than she had before. So much so that I am now eating this way. It is exactly opposite to your present diet, but it is known to help Fibromyalgia. It might be worth looking into.

pinkquartz Tue 15-Oct-19 11:39:49

There is no test for Chronic Fatigue...part of the problem. It is a very neglected area.