Gransnet forums

Chat

So tired!

(64 Posts)
sunseeker Sun 20-Oct-19 13:22:59

I suffer with insomnia, most nights I get around 3/4 hours but last night I was awake all night - no sleep at all. I tried all my usual tricks, relaxation CD, hypnosis CD, audio book - nothing worked then to make matters worse the RLS kicked in.

I have tried sleeping pills in the past but they didn't work and left me feeling as if I had a head full of cotton wool the next day

Has anyone got any remedies they find work for them that I could try?

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 18:09:45

I see it is available in the UK from H&B, Boots and other firms

susieq3 Tue 22-Oct-19 18:36:18

Lavender oil dabbed just inside the nostrils and on the pulse points of my wrist works every time for me Sunseeker.

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 18:41:34

I have a lavender pillow spray which I haven't tried yet.

petra Tue 22-Oct-19 19:04:44

I paid for this information and it works for me.

First of all, don't keep switching from one 'idea' to the next night after night.

Choose a thought/picture/counting etc which your happy with. Stick to that thought/picture etc. Do not deviate.

The theory is: most people will fall asleep while visualising whichever you choose. The brain starts to get the message ah, this is where I go to sleep

Mine is walking round my garden. I've been doing it for so long now that when I close my eyes I automatically go into 'my walk' I very rarely last more than a minute.

CrazyGranny60 Tue 22-Oct-19 19:07:01

I had the same problem and my GP got me to sign up to the NHS Sleepio programme. It really helped me and I'm sleeping so much better now. I can't recommend it highly enough. you do it at home at your own leisure. It's very clever how it's tailored to your own personal problems. Please give it a go. (PS it's not the app with the same name, it's the online NHS recommended one.)

teifi Tue 22-Oct-19 20:58:06

Think of six (or more, whatever you decide) girls' names beginning with A, then six boys' names beginning with A. Then six beginning with B, C and so on. This is effective even if very buzzy at night. You can refine it if you start remembering the names too easily...posh names and not-posh names, American or Australian sounding names and so on. But you must be disciplined, keep at it and not think of anything else.

humptydumpty Tue 22-Oct-19 21:23:47

petra I was interested in your post - I have a memory from my past, which unfolds a bit like a story, and is my 'go to' thought if I want to switch off at night - and I rarely get to the end of it!

DotMH1901 Tue 22-Oct-19 21:29:26

Have you spoken to your GP? My grandson has Circadin tablets to help regulate his sleep pattern (a side effect of his epilepsy tablets). Worth asking - otherwise have you tried setting yourself a regular bedtime routine? Works for some people, no technology or tv at least an hour before bed, a warm drink before you go, lavender sachet under your pillow (if you like the scent), make sure your feet are warm (fluffy socks!).

Socornish Wed 23-Oct-19 08:21:03

Try a weighted blanket

Nanna58 Wed 23-Oct-19 13:28:00

I bought melatonin online from a reputable company and it is working, after calm meditation apps, magnesium, nytol both herbal and other, sleep sprays and prescription sleeping pills all failed! Good luck

granbabies123 Wed 23-Oct-19 14:04:41

I use a kindle with built in light and just read till my body passes out. If I switch it off in the 8 seconds that takes I'm wide awake again so I don't.

EmilyHarburn Fri 22-Nov-19 14:14:45

It may be helpful to have an adjustable electric blanket with a timer. I find getting into a warm bed helpful.

LadyGracie Fri 22-Nov-19 15:53:08

My GP told me to try piriton.

Unfortunately when I can’t sleep I itch. It works for me. Strange but true.