Gransnet forums

Chat

Challenging thinking

(54 Posts)
grannyactivist Sun 20-Oct-19 15:16:51

I may have to put on my tin hat and hide behind the sofa, but I sincerely hope not as this is a genuine question.

Would you say that you actually challenge your thinking and if so, would say that your views are evolving because of it?

Let me give you an example: in my much younger days, I was married to a member of the armed forces, I read only the newspaper that he bought and listened to people (primarily his friends) whose views mainly mirrored his. I didn't expose myself very much, certainly not deliberately, to contrary views and yet at the time I could have given a rationale for what I 'believed'.

Later I went to college and was exposed to a range of different views and I tried to teach myself to really 'listen' to others rather than react by 'defending' my own opinions and in doing so I found that my own thinking not only changed quite radically, but continued to evolve.

Now I read widely, I try very hard not to demonize others' points of view, I seek out the opinions of people who hold views that are antithetical to my own - and I try (not always with success) to find points of commonality or mutuality.

grannyactivist Wed 23-Oct-19 17:13:17

Sorry not to come back and discuss further, but very poorly just now and not able.

Thank you all for the tone of the thread - appreciated.

Callistemon Wed 23-Oct-19 17:51:59

Can minds be too open? Serious question. Could that lead to apathy?
I don't know, but I wonder if it could cause anxiety?

I hope you feel better soon, grannya, take care and I hope you are having lots of tlc.
flowers

crazyH Wed 23-Oct-19 22:24:50

hope you feel better GrannyA flowers