Gransnet forums

Chat

Ladies who like to be driven to places - why?

(139 Posts)
mrsnonsmoker Fri 25-Oct-19 13:11:37

If you can drive, are you happy to? I love driving, I don't mind giving lifts at all, but I have some friends various ages 50s to late 60s who will do anything to get out of driving.

In fact one - let call her Margaret - goes even further and chooses her friends based on their willingness to drive her to places. I don't mean places she needs to go, she's not after a lift to the doctors - recently she befriended a woman as the lady offered to give her a lift home once and now she goes everywhere with her. Its not a friendship, once they arrive Margaret abandons her and goes shopping on her own. (Margaret can drive and has a car).

Is this a thing? I'm 60, should I now start saying ooh I wish I had a lift?! Sometimes my husband drives and Margaret literally explodes, she told me recently that I only stay with him as he gives me "lifts"!! She is widowed, but her late husband didn't drive so nothing has changed. She constantly talks about getting people to take her out for a "nice drive". She often arranges things, cancels last minute citing traffic and then sits back and waits for people to offer to come and get her.

Am I being unkind not understanding this?

Pantglas2 Sat 26-Oct-19 20:30:30

Monica is so right ladies. - my dad (who is 85 and still doing everything himself) told me when I retired to keep doing everything I’d always done or I wouldn’t be able to do things I’d always done!

marionk Sat 26-Oct-19 20:35:10

I drive as my DH lost confidence after his heart attack, I do all the towing of our caravan too.

bingo12 Sat 26-Oct-19 22:31:35

You could tell her you are not sure if your insurance covers taking her as passenger.

naheed Sun 27-Oct-19 10:58:30

I detest 'Margarets' of this world and stay well away from them. They're not nice people so why waste my time with them! I don't mind taking turns with members of my groups in driving but only around our town and no further because I rely on my sat nav because I wouldn't like them to judge me on the basis of having driven there several times and should be able to find my way easily. Some of the ones I've given a lift to, behaved entitled so I dropped them. Some wouldn't want taking turns so I dropped them too. Some of these started to walk or use others for a lift which is fine with me but they started picking on me for not using my legs. I told them that I have my reasons for not offering lift to everyone and would appreciate it if they didn't give such 'advices' as I'm an adult and understand what's good or bad for me like everyone else. I found it very nasty when they picked on me in front of the rest of which ever group we happened to be with. I will not be manipulated, used, abused or shamed by such individuals and I'm not afraid of the consequences at all. I only ask for a lift from people who've I've given a lift to. I don't befriend anyone just because they can be my taxi, fix my computer, etc. and smell it if someone to befriend me on those basis.

notanan2 Sun 27-Oct-19 12:03:37

* I don’t understand some women’s need to restrict themselves which is what refusing to drive does.*

hmm

Yeah okay!

I love the freedom of NOT having a car

M0nica Sun 27-Oct-19 13:50:23

During my membership of GN I have been amazed by the number of people who have admitted to being nervous drivers, some will not drive if it is wet or windy or avoid motorways. I discovered one friend usually brashly self confident whose driving was limited by all kinds of fears and who would only drive on a motorway at night if she stayed in the middle lane and had someone elses red lights to follow.

I always thought you just learnt to drive and did it. I do not think I am over confident or a rash driver, certainly not a fast driver, but if I have to get somewhere I get in my car and drive.

In the last three weeks I have twice had to make really difficult hourneys. Both were long journeys made in torrential rain one was from the north Wales Coast back across the mountains to England, The roads were narrow, windy, unfamiliar and often covered by water or had huge puddles half across the road just after blind bends. The other a journey home from France, nearly all on motorways, but I was driving on the right in a righthand drive car and couldn't easily see overtaking traffic. Also my boot lock had broken during my visit so the boot was tied down with rope that went across my rear windscreen and stopped me using mr rear windscreen wipers.

I wouldn't willing have made either of those journeys but I had to so I did and did not waste time or mind on being nervous. I just gritted my teeth and drove.

I think there are still too many women, in particular, who would rather batten on other people than take themselves in hand and accept that if they choose not to drive when they can, then they must just use a bus, taxi or train or stay at home.

allule Sun 27-Oct-19 13:52:38

My husband always loved driving, and I was happy to leave it to him most of the time. When he had to give up, and I took over, he could not understand my reluctance when he missed it so much.
Apart from the driving, I had no confidence in myself to deal with any emergency, and was always relieved to get home.
I finally decided....late seventies...to stop forcing myself to drive; sold the car and think of the money saved as my taxi fund.
Such a relief!

Cabbie21 Sun 27-Oct-19 15:43:54

When we moved here we made a point of choosing somewhere with facilities within walking distance, with a good bus service, and easy access to major routes.
So far we are both able to drive and each have a car, but I also use the bus a lot too.
There are far too many older people who ought to give up driving, or maybe restrict themselves to local routes and daytime only. Occasionally I have had a lift from someone who ought not to be driving as they are far too dangerous,
My father kept on driving far too long, but did eventually give up and used the money saved to get taxis, if the bus wasn’t convenient.
I think we should have to be retested from time to time, but I am not sure what age it should start.

notanan2 Sun 27-Oct-19 15:54:02

I think we should have to be retested from time to time, but I am not sure what age it should start.

I dont think an age limit would do. E.g. someone who passes at 17 then never drives until 28 isnt, IMO, fit to drive without a refresher.

There should be a declaration every 5 years that you have driven X hours and if not you must do a refresher lesson.
Every 5 years everyone should re-do the theory and hazard computer test, with any failed referred for full re-testing.

Professionals arent allowed to practice without declaring paractice hours and CPD. Driving should have similar rules, IMO

kircubbin2000 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:15:17

Because of my eyesight I can't see at night. Some people may have valid reasons.

Pantglas2 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:21:52

I’ve always loved driving since I was 17 and actually got my last job with emergency services on the basis that I had D1 classification on my licence which was the case if you passed your test before 1997.

It meant I could drive the 16 seater minibus from the day I started rather than my employers putting me through a course and test months later. Over the ten years until I retired I hopped into so many different cars and vans without a second thought and when I was tested by the service driving instructor, sailed through effortlessly.

I still pull my weight on long journeys and my DH appreciates it now that he’s getting older - we swap over every 90mins. Buses, trains @nd taxis have their place but the 2min-I’m-on-my-way convenience can’t be beaten - in my opinion, of course!

Evie64 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:44:19

Minimoon, I'm like you. I still drive every day but no longer like driving at night due to growing cataracts. If a car is coming towards me with their headlights on I have to slow right down as I can't see much. I hate driving my husband anywhere. He was a professional driver for years and thinks he is the only person who knows how to drive. His constant nagging when I'm behind the wheel makes me so nervous I make silly mistakes. I've told him that I won't drive him anywhere now. Besides, you don't don't buy a dog and bark yourself do you? grin

Daisyboots Mon 28-Oct-19 15:08:18

I have always loved driving and the independence it has given me. At the age of 69 I drove from Portugal to England and back again by myself and really enjoyed it. My DH and I have always had our own cars but this year, because of my ill health and consequently not needing to both go in separate directions at the same time, we have sold the two cars bought a new one. Neither of our cars was suitable if I should need a wheelchair. I have only driven a few times since then due to chemo and being on strong painkillers but there is no way, at the age of 75 am I giving up driving.
Yes I have had 'friends' like Margaret and it's surprising how quickly you are dropped you cant take them where ever they want to go. I think with Margaret it is not only wanting lifts but she wants someone to organise her social life for her as she was annoyed you didnt take her for a meal when you took your relative.