Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone ever fallen asleep holding something in their hand?

(58 Posts)
AS97 Sat 26-Oct-19 17:43:47

We're all tired, I think that's a given. I just thought it be funny to share in lifes awkward moments. Having recently done this myself with a drink resulting in a very brief thought of "did I pee myself blush".

So,
Where were you at the time?
What were you holding?
How did it end?

AS

crazyH Sat 26-Oct-19 19:53:42

Yes, cup of tea, on my lap , front of telly .

MissAdventure Sat 26-Oct-19 21:35:39

I fell asleep with a mouthful of chewing gum.
When I get out of bed the next morning, my erm, hair was stuck to my leg with it.

Cherrytree59 Sat 26-Oct-19 21:37:22

Slight Deja vu, just read the same question on mumsnet.

AllotmentLil Sat 26-Oct-19 22:12:41

Thirsty in the middle of the night I reached out for my glass of water and was wakened up later by a cold shower!

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:14:47

Nothing I could type on here ????

harrigran Sun 27-Oct-19 08:34:15

A mug of coffee while I was sitting on the sofa in the second week after major surgery.
I wasn't even aware that I felt tired until I was rudely awakened by coffee down my legs and soaking into the sofa cushions.
DH yanked me off the sofa and ran for water and cleaning cloths, I crept off to my bedroom and stayed there for the rest of the day as I felt like a naughty child.

SallyB392 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:40:45

Yup! Most nights! Ranges from food (choc biscuits is a favourite and OMG they make a mess), books, kindle, tablet, sewing, drinks, you name it I've done it!

Teetime Sun 27-Oct-19 08:57:26

Me too - the Kindle clunck.

I have also quite often dropped a glass of something.

B9exchange Sun 27-Oct-19 09:02:09

The steering wheel! I fell asleep driving down the motorway and only woke up after drifting into the fast lane! Fortunately I am still here!

BlueSapphire Sun 27-Oct-19 22:04:16

Me too Cherrytree, thread is also on MN Chat, same user name......

BlueSapphire Sun 27-Oct-19 22:06:53

Sorry, similar user name.

BradfordLass72 Mon 28-Oct-19 08:59:44

Perhaps my post would be better on Mumsnet.

My son was about 6 weeks old and he slept approximately 20 minutes out of every 12 hours and kept me awake most of the night. I had a very tiring volunteer job, a paid cleaning job and was trying to finish my last year of a 4 year course to qualify.

To say I was exhausted was a massive understatment.

I was kneeling at the toilet, scraping pooh off a nappy, prior to washing it (very eco-friendly, no disposables for us) and I fell forward over the bowl and hit my head on the upturned seat.

And the consequences were....I dropped the nappy into the mucky water, the baby began yelling, I girded up me loins and carried on - as you do.

JackyB Mon 28-Oct-19 09:18:16

I don't think I have ever dropped anything whilst asleep although occasionally my Kindle has turned itself off in frustration when I've not turned a page for a while because of dropping off

DH though, stays and watches telly long after I've gone to bed and I often hear a clatter followed by loud swearing. Sometimes I'll find a shard of glass under the settee a few days later.

emmasnan Mon 28-Oct-19 09:32:58

I was browsing books to buy on my Kindle, fell asleep and accidently bought a book I had no interest in.

shysal Mon 28-Oct-19 10:27:24

I often dip my book into the water when reading in the bath. I once dropped a library book right in, so had to confess and pay up!

geekesse Mon 28-Oct-19 10:42:41

The Guardian crossword. If you sleep on it all night, you end up with the whole crossword printed on to your face.

Jane10 Mon 28-Oct-19 10:53:55

Its not the same, the opposite really, but once, when DGS was very little he was staying with me and sleeping in my big bed- I woke up to find he was holding my hand. It was lovely.
He's a big lad now and would be mortified to hear that!

OldTart Tue 29-Oct-19 16:22:04

Usually do it with a book. I did it with a cup of coffee once, spilled it in my lap.

DoraMarr Tue 29-Oct-19 18:09:35

My grandson loves jumping on my bed. He also likes hiding things, which is why I woke up yesterday with a wooden toy banana in my hand.
At least, I think so.....

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 29-Oct-19 18:17:17

All these in bed:

Doing handwritten version of Sudoku. Woke up with most of the ink from the pen now in my duvet with blobs on me too.

Putting nail varnish on. Sleepless night - well it was ! Didn't do that one again.

Book - frequently.

TerriBull Tue 29-Oct-19 18:27:54

I drop a book, usually mid chapeter off the side of the bed quite often .

timetogo2016 Wed 30-Oct-19 10:41:11

Eating cereal in the evening.
What a bluming mess yet I still haven`t learnt my lesson.

annodomini Wed 30-Oct-19 11:12:20

A mug of tea that spilt all over my laptop which then cost me an arm and a leg to have it fixed.
Frequently drop off holding my Kindle, then wake up in the small hours with my glasses on and the Kindle somewhere under the duvet.

annodomini Wed 30-Oct-19 11:14:51

shysal's post just reminded me of the occasion when I was doing my Latin homework in the bath and dropped off still holding it. It was a little embarrassing to explain the condition of the Aeneid to my Latin teacher.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Oct-19 11:44:06

Regularly. My kindle. Sometimes my husband removes it and puts it on the bedside table. Sometimes I drop it on my head, wake up, and start all over again grin