Gransnet forums

Chat

So many appliances...

(67 Posts)
MiniMoon Thu 31-Oct-19 09:54:04

So little space.

I have just received an Ninja Foodie. It's one of those instant pot, multi cooker things. It is fairly large.
On my worktops are:-
Blender and stick blender,
Weighing scales,
Kettle,
Microwave oven,
Tea and sugar canisters,
Kettle and toaster.
Instant water boiler (this was an experiment, but now I'm not sure)
Knife stand,
Echo show.

What do I put away?

I'm thinking that the microwave could go as the new Ninja Foodie will
probably end up doing its job.

Aargh, I need a bigger kitchen!

crazyH Fri 01-Nov-19 11:27:31

Kettle
Toaster
Mug tree (unnecessary really)
Kitchen Roll
Small bowl with cooking salt near hob
Everything else in cupboard

Jillybird Fri 01-Nov-19 11:30:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 01-Nov-19 11:30:44

Thanks cornergran - you know I'm so short of space I put an old newspaper on top of the ceramic hob for the peelings and use a small chopping board at the side.

Shandy3 Fri 01-Nov-19 11:36:06

Check out storage on pinterest. Life changing! smile

Witzend Fri 01-Nov-19 11:36:28

Our ancient microwave is built in. I don't have at all a big kitchen but blender, stick blender, ancient Kenwood Chef and slow cooker all live in the cupboards. I don't have enough worktop space to have them out.
Just kettle and toaster, and tea/coffee canisters obv.

Oh, and a ceramic chicken for keeping eggs in, though TBH they're usually in the fridge unless I need them at room temp for something. And two mug 'trees' plus usually other sundry odds and sods, I'm not the tidiest person in the world.

LondonGranny Fri 01-Nov-19 11:44:08

I have deliberately cluttered worktops. Deters the cat from jumping up onto them. I have a small food processor (used almost daily) a stick blender in the drawer (great for soups). I have old fashioned weighing scales used often (I make my own bread) and the weighing bowl is a perfect size for pouring flour into the breadmaker. I also have a microwave which is not used that much but is brilliant for big meals like Christmas for doing peas and so on when the hobs are are in use.
I don't buy appliances often but when I do I research them carefully first.

arosebyanyothername Fri 01-Nov-19 11:44:23

Kettle & microwave are the only appliances I have out permanently. The rest live in cupboards.
My radio is the only other thing on the worktop apart from a big pot of cooking utensils by the cooker.

kittylester Fri 01-Nov-19 11:52:30

From the left

Counter one
Alexa
Bowl of lemons
Dish of grapes
Jade plant
Banana tree
Phone

Counter 2

Bread boards
Bread bin
Kenwood chef
Toaster
Utensils in pot
Spoon rest
Small tray with salt an pepper bowls and various oils.

Counter 3

Caddies containing tea, tea bags, coffee, sugar
Massimo
Tea pot
Tea strainer
2x biscuit caddies (1 normal, 1 gf)

Very small counter 4

Eggs in a wire basket
Dish of cherry tomatoes
Kitchen towel

Butchers block

Basket for recipes
Tablet
Family diary
Pen pot
Lists too numerous to mention
Tissues
Baby wipes

Coolgran65 Fri 01-Nov-19 12:05:32

On my worktops at the moment:
Several matching glass worktop protectors.
Microwave and fruit bowl on one bench.
On the second bench there is the kettle, a container holding olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice etc. two plants. Above them, on the wall, a metal shelf holds a container with kitchen utensils, tea/coffee,

In the kitchen cupboards/drawers there is sandwich maker, scales that are flat and sit up sideways, toaster, bread basket, hand mixer, stick mixer, electric knife, wooden chopping boards.

When we got our kitchen 10 years ago we put 5 floor cupboards and 5 wall cupboards into the garage. In those cupboards is the slow cooker, air fryer, overflow tinned foods/store cupboard stuff/veg, etc/baking tins.
Big one-off saucepans, wok, hang from nails in the rafters.

Blossomsmum Fri 01-Nov-19 12:06:55

I have two kitchens , one at home and one in my static. The one at home is big and the one in the static small but tend to have the same items on worktop in both .

Halaogen ovens , kettle tea coffee sugar toaster , mugs full of utensils . In both places microwaves are up on shelves . Slow cookers , mixers , toasty makers etc are in cupboards in both places .
Funnily enough I prefer my little kitchen as I only need to stretch out my arm to get things while at home I seem to be constantly trotting back and forward to the fridge , cooker etc .

sodapop Fri 01-Nov-19 12:11:55

I don't know what the Ninja thing is either, would someone explain please.

BusterTank Fri 01-Nov-19 12:57:56

I have way to many appliances and my husband keeps on buying new gadgets . Most of the items used only a few times but my husband refuses to get rid of anything . We are now having to redesign our kitchen to find homes for all the things .

grandtanteJE65 Fri 01-Nov-19 14:18:40

An induction hob, electric oven, microwave, electric kettle, hand mixer, stick blender with mincer, old fashioned mincer, toaster, electric pan for making Danish doughnuts and a toaster for making croques messieurs. I am hoping for a waffle iron for Christmas.

We have a pressure cooker for making juice or preserving fruit in, that spends most of the year in the attic.
All of the other smaller appliances are kept in cupboards in the kitchen.

I have an old set of scales with weights and DH a digital scale.

lizzypopbottle Fri 01-Nov-19 14:56:39

I had a small dining room that we rarely used for eating and a reasonably sized kitchen which a visitor once described as 'compact'! Cheek! Anyway, two years ago I had them knocked into one then pinched a very small area off the new, bigger room for a utility room. The back door is in there so the comings and goings of three dogs no longer brings all the muddy footprints into the kitchen.

The point is, I had a row of six, under bench, extra deep drawers fitted where my cooking pans, baking trays and kitchen machines all live. However, the worktops are still home to:
toaster
air fryer
knife blocks (yes, two, but one was a gift)
IKEA trivet
four utensil pots (I could probably streamline these)
two spice racks
breadboard
teapots
coffee machine
coffee grinder
filter jug
a big bowl I keep for onions and garlic
a little, free-standing shelf unit that houses the tea and coffee canisters.

I have a boiling water tap (best, most convenient thing ever) so the kettle is hardly used and lives in the utility room. Phew!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 01-Nov-19 15:19:30

Oh kitty - four counters - four! I'm green envy with envy. I think I'll go and have a little cry - just joking.

sharon103 Fri 01-Nov-19 15:40:29

My kitchen isn't very big. On my worktops I have my microwave, which I use a lot. Tea, coffee, sugar jars, a kettle, a magnified mirror on a stand, kitchen towel holder. All the rest are in the cupboards.

Callistemon Fri 01-Nov-19 15:45:19

Oh dear, looking around my kitchen I need to tidy up or get rid of some things in cupboards to make space for everything littering the work surfaces!

Washing up liquid
Mugs on mug holders x 2
Kettle
Mixer (will be put away)
Diary, pens in pot
Steamer
Microwave
Small trays for phones, specs, odds and ends
Fruit in bowl
A magazine (DH's)
Utensil holder
Wooden spoon holder
Toasters x 2
Breadbin
Knife block

Don't let me start on the utility room!

What is an Echo thingy?
Or a Ninja wotsit?

I am going to tidy up.

Callistemon Fri 01-Nov-19 15:47:39

I forgot the glass worktop protectors

Callistemon Fri 01-Nov-19 15:48:54

And the kitchen roll on its stand

Right, definitely tidy-up time

sharon103 Fri 01-Nov-19 16:02:19

I need to tidy my kitchen up too Callistemon . The floor's littered with bags, my hand bag, bags of things I've had delivered, 2 bags that need sending back, 2 tins of paint, the ironing basket and a bag of cat litter.
I'm not clearing up today though, I've got a Morrisons grocery delivery within the next hour. More bags. lol

Callistemon Fri 01-Nov-19 16:09:56

I didn't count anything in the other end of the kitchen, sharon103, where the table is blush

Right, that's it, I have been shamed into tidying up.

(We have been out today)

Bijou Fri 01-Nov-19 17:13:35

Being unsteady on my feet and walking painful I have to have everything to hand. On my work surface I have microwave with a small shelf over for tea, sugar, coffee etc. A dish with condiments, boiling ring, mini oven, kettle, bread maker, slow cooker and container for utensils. Sharp knives on a magnetic thing on the wall. (My son once cut himself when sharp knives were kept in a drawer.). I have in the past had a multi cooker thing and an Ainsley grill. More trouble than they are worth because of washing them up. Toaster and scales on top of fridge.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 01-Nov-19 17:55:53

I have 3 counters on first long one is kitchen block kettle mug rack canisters bread bin air fryer number two counter is kitchen toll holder, number 3 is fruit bowl toaster

Carbonated Fri 01-Nov-19 18:56:07

OP, you LUCKY girl-Id LOVE one of those does it all gadgets. I'm too scared to buy one incase its too complicated to use, or over promises its capabilities and there goes £200 and more landfill. I'm hoping St Nic and a good instruction book happen for me this Christmas.

LuckyFour Fri 01-Nov-19 19:58:54

what's an ECHO Show?