Gransnet forums

Chat

What is the age range of your friends ?

(64 Posts)
NanKate Fri 01-Nov-19 07:27:45

I have always seemed to be the youngest within my different friend groups such as WI, friends from my teens etc. However with friends I have made in the last year or so I appear to be the oldest.

With friends I have made on GN I am the oldest at 73.

In our cul de sac we are by far the oldest and I suppose we are thought of as the oldies. They are always coming to ask DH for advice or for us to take in their parcels. We have lived here over 40+ years.

What is the age range with your friends or acquaintances?

Tangerine Fri 01-Nov-19 22:29:39

My friends are in their late fifties, sixties, seventies up to eighty. They're all different and I don't think they'd all get on with each other!

I'm in my sixties.

lovingit Fri 01-Nov-19 23:03:21

I,m in my late sixties and most of my friends are in their fifties we've all holidayed together and in February I,m going to Cambodia with my close friend who is early fifties.
My friends at the yard where I keep my horse are in their teens and twenties and we've gone on horse holidays together
It's only my dog walking friends who are a similar age but we are a naughty group of pensioners who all have difficulty acting the way our kids seem to think we should.

grannyactivist Sat 02-Nov-19 00:01:29

I have friends of all ages and both sexes.

My male friends, are aged from 30 to 61.
My female friends are aged from 29 to 96.

I would say that most of my local friends are between 5 and 15 years younger than me on average, but many (especially those that have lived with me) are under 40.

nannyYvie Sat 02-Nov-19 08:24:50

I am 53 and while I do have friends my own age, my 3 closest friends are in their early thirties. I met 2 when I was working in 2 separate jobs and the other at an evening university. I used to remark that it was weird, but they each told me not to be silly. I am now godmother to 2 toddlers plus my own grandson who is soon to be 2 years old. In short, I couldn't be happier.

timetogo2016 Sat 02-Nov-19 10:52:30

I`ve never really given it a thought until now.
I`m 59 and my friends age`s range from 30 to early 70`s.
We all get on really well.

Willow500 Sun 03-Nov-19 05:48:27

Most of mine are the same or similar ages (65) - one I have known since we were 8 another since we both moved onto a new estate in our late 20's although we lost touch for over 30 years and only found each other again quite by chance 3 years ago. When we moved into our present house we were one of the youngest couples in the road - 33 years later neighbours have come and gone and now we're the oldest sad

Daisyboots Sun 03-Nov-19 16:12:34

My closest friend , who I met on an online group about 12 years ago is, at 63, is 12 years younger than me. But we are very close and consider that we are sisters that we chose for ourselves. She has been wonderful since my diagnosis and even came to stay and filled up my freezer with meals she had cooked before I started chemotherapy. She has also be very kind to my husband and has talked to him when he has had problems about my health so he considers her a good friend of his too. I still have a lot of online friends from that same group some of whom I have met and some not. They keep in touch by messenger to see how I am which is lovely. The friends I have locally are mainly around my age with a few younger ones. But since my diagnosis I have come to realise that they are not really friends but acquaintances who have since faded away. I think what an ealier poster said about friends needing to have similar values and core principles is true. When living abroad the people you are "friends" with you might not have as friends if you were living in your home country.

Bellanonna Sun 03-Nov-19 16:53:44

44 - 86, actual friends

natasha1 Sun 03-Nov-19 19:37:35

Friends at work range from 26 and one of closest friends is 73 just 3 years younger than my mum, but years different in most ways, quite a few in 50s like I am.x

kangaroo73 Fri 17-Apr-20 15:05:38

Anyone over 70 walking or shopping during lockdown? I’d really like to take a walk but it bothers me. I’m almost 74 and my 22 year old granddaughter lives with me

GabriellaG54 Fri 17-Apr-20 15:29:09

Mine closer friends (I have no really close friends - my choice) are from mid 30s to around 70ish. I am probably the oldest at 75 but some are less able. Some seem much older in outlook. My OH is 52.

oscaro11 Fri 17-Apr-20 15:35:19

Most of mine are between 64-69. I’m 64. I’d actually like to meet a few more of different ages so plan to try new activities once lockdown is finished.

moggie57 Fri 17-Apr-20 15:40:30

think my oldest friend did work at salvation army charity shop and she was 93. but friends mid 70's ...aunty who is 86 and another who is 90....both in full health//lots of friends at church who are in their 80's. and jesus who is ancient but never changes...