Gransnet forums

Chat

Rat in the garden!

(58 Posts)
notnecessarilywiser Sat 02-Nov-19 17:32:35

Neighbour A used to feed the local foxes, and since she's a good friend I'd always expressed my disagreement with the practice. A couple of years ago, neighbour B was disturbed to see a rat in her garden - I half-jokingly suggested to A that was her fault. Because I didn't want to be visited by rodents, I didn't fill my bird feeders for the last two winters.

Having heard from friend A earlier this year that she no longer feeds the foxes, I thought I'd be safe to resume putting nuts and seeds in the bird feeders. Did so earlier this week, and was delighted to see the feathered visitors congregate as they had done in the past.

But ... this morning, I'm pretty sure I saw a rat trotting along the garden and behind my shed! (Added info : we live backing onto a woorland area, there's nothing in the shed that would constitute food for a rat or a family of them , I have no pets, Neighbour A has a dog and three cats, Neighbour B has a couple of dogs).

I'm not phobic about rats, but would really prefer not to provide accommodation to them. Equally, I'd be very disappointed to have to stop feeding the birds. Any advice for me?

Phoebes Mon 04-Nov-19 22:32:42

Saetana-I agree with you so much. All creatures have a right to exist and we shouldn’t kill them in horrible ways just because we don’t like having them around. That is just cruel. Don’t leave food lying around where they can get at it and they will move on.

LondonGranny Mon 04-Nov-19 22:38:20

Chilli powder isn't poison. I wouldn't put poison out because it kills more than rats which is why the RSPB recommend extra hot chilli powder as it doesn't bother birds, just makes the rats move on.

LondonGranny Mon 04-Nov-19 22:44:07

Also my niece had rats that ended up moving into her house in her house. She was anti-harming until she found rat droppings in her toddler's bedroom. She went nuclear after that. Really unneccessary as if she'd dealt with it properly to begin with it wouldn't have happened. I'd mentioned chilli powder to her but she thought it was cruel to deal with them at all.

ClareAB Tue 05-Nov-19 01:07:42

Rats need cover, water and food to thrive. As we live in the country, in a wooded area, next to a large pond, we always have a few rats at the bottom of the garden.
It helps that we have a Labrador and a Jack Russell who love picking up a trail and frightening the be-Jesus out of any small furry thing.
Like someone said, feed the birds small amounts regularly to deter rats from having an all you can eat 24hr banquet. Hopefully that should sort it.

QuaintIrene Tue 05-Nov-19 01:40:22

One of my cats was very badly mauled by a rat. Unless it’s a big young cat you need a terrier to take them out. There are so many around here , there are so many takeaways . Waste is just left everywhere.

SalsaQueen Tue 05-Nov-19 22:32:45

A rat in the garden - it could be worse.....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwPYze5M9s

craftyone Wed 06-Nov-19 06:27:46

The one time I saw a cheeky rat was when I had bird feeders close to the house and a rat went back and orth from under a bench to the feeder. I went out and made a noise but the rat appeared again and again. That night there were very loud fierce cat squeals and I never saw the rat again, I never chase cats out of my garden now, would rather have cats than a rat

A friend got rats in her house insulation in her walls, warm-cell walls ie paper insulation. Imagine the damage those rats did. I stopped feeding birds and will not feed them again in my new home. Birdfood attracts rats and where there is one then there are many. Her neighbour fed birds and all in all it led to a big falling out