Gransnet forums

Chat

Sunday tea

(115 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 19:58:43

What did you have on a Sunday (or maybe Saturday) evening, to eat?

If we had company on a Saturday, my mum would make big crusty bread sandwiches, with pickled onions and tomato quarters.

We were allowed to eat in the front room (living room) and that was unheard of, usually.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 20:07:38

Sunday tea, usually with family visiting, was bread and butter (none of your sliced bread in those days, and that was always my job) luncheon meat or tinned ham, tomatoes and lettuce from the garden if in season, cucumber and onion sliced and in vinegar, tinned fruit and evaporated milk. Followed by a Victoria sponge or fruit cake, always home-made.
And pots of tea of course.

The dining table was opened up in the sitting room, so there was always a rearrangement of furniture

MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 20:21:26

Oh yes! I forgot Spanish onion in vinegar.

Sara65 Mon 04-Nov-19 20:27:00

Always had to start with a bowl of rice pudding, loathed it, then a slice of bread and butter, after which, if you had any room left, a slice of cake, either home made Victoria sponge, or slab cake from the bakery. My friends family always had, without fail, tinned salmon and cucumber.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 20:32:07

Oh yes, tinned salmon for a change, I forgot that

But always bread and butter and whoever sliced and buttered the bread (me when I was old enough) got the crust with extra butter.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 20:33:53

Yes, we sometimes had salmon and cucumber sandwiches.
Not very often (I think it was too expensive)

Grannyboots1 Mon 04-Nov-19 20:40:11

Sardines on toast, and tinned peaches ( one tin between 5) ! With evaporated milk for afters.

annep1 Mon 04-Nov-19 20:42:11

Egg salad sandwiches and tea. We never had supoer ?

Pantglas2 Mon 04-Nov-19 20:52:37

My mam made jelly and blancmange, tinned fruit cocktail (we took turns on who got the single cherry), tinned red salmon and egg & cress sandwiches and bara brith or scones....happy days!

Oopsminty Mon 04-Nov-19 20:53:19

Oh it's been lovely reading this thread!

So many memories of what appears to be a gentler time.

Buffybee Mon 04-Nov-19 20:57:33

Sunday Morning my Dad always made a fry up for the family and for Dinner Mum always cooked Roast Lamb with all the trimmings.
Never varied apart from Christmas Day when we had a Capon, whatever that was.
Saturday's always went to my Grandmas house, for lunch we always had frying steak, chips and mushy peas. Teatime we had Lancashire cheese sliced, beetroot in vinegar and maybe one slice of tomato, lots of crusty bread and butter and a sliced orange for 'afters'.
Never varied for over 10 years until I got to my teens and stopped going.
Happy days......

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 20:58:38

Salad ( just lettuce leaves, cucumber and radishes ) with a plate of large sliced tomatoes, salad cream, bread and butter
( sliced thinly) a plate with ham, and tongue on it.
Tinned fruit cocktail with Nestles tinned cream or ‘evap’.
Cake, rarely home made, (and always fruitcake.)

PamelaJ1 Mon 04-Nov-19 21:00:16

Always trifle.

Desdemona Mon 04-Nov-19 21:03:23

Sunday tea was blackcurrant jam sandwiches and cold Yorkshire puddings left over from sunday lunch (also spread with jam usually! smile

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 21:05:23

Jelly and blancmange was for birthday parties!

Radishes too of course, whatever Dad grew in the garden or greenhouse.

BBbevan Mon 04-Nov-19 21:13:26

Sunday tea at our house always included an Apple tart. Mostly we went to my Grandma's though. We always had a boiled egg , with bread and butter. Tinned peaches with evaporated milk, and bread and butter . Followed by Angel cake and weak tea. Never varied, but we never minded.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 21:15:47

Oh yes, we had radishes too.
Little firey hot slices with salt on them. Lovely!

BlueSapphire Mon 04-Nov-19 21:25:44

Our Sunday tea never varied. Plain bread and butter first (or you couldn't have anything else). Then jelly and fruit, mum's homemade chocolate sponge (which was stodgy and dry) and perhaps jam tarts. and weak tea. All to the accompaniment on the radio of Welsh hymn singing. Had the same tea for years and years. Have never had it since thank goodness.

Lins1066 Mon 04-Nov-19 21:25:55

On Saturdays we had fish bought from MacFisheries ( there was always a queue). A pair of kippers for my father and haddock for mum and me.
On Sunday's my mother usually made a tart from whatever was in season, blackberries, rhubarb, blackcurrants or apple.
Tinned fruit, mandarin oranges, pears, fruit cocktail with evaporated milk or tinned Nestle cream. If we had sandwiches they were usually salmon or cheese and tomato.
Mum made the lightest Victoria sponge and sponge traybakes with either green or pink food colouring and white icing, with silver balls sprinkled on top ( these were usually for my birthday parties). I have since replicated these for my own children.

AllotmentLil Mon 04-Nov-19 21:32:07

Lovely memories.
We had salad with tinned salmon and bread and butter followed by apple tart or tinned fruit salad and Nestle tinned cream or “evorapated” milk. My mother made beautiful apple tarts ...

SueDonim Mon 04-Nov-19 21:46:10

Most of these were also at our Sunday teatimes. Sometimes there were scones, too. The tinned fruit & evap is so odd now - whoever thought that up? It was lovely to dip bread & butter into it. I also remember my mum getting excited when Birds Trifle and Dream Topping made their debut! We also had pilchards on toast sometimes.

Mum used to stagger up the stairs (our sitting room was upstairs) with a laden tea tray for six of us, I don't know how she did it. We younger kids would eat while sitting on the floor, the bigger two on the sofas with mum and dad.

Then it would be cleared away and the TV would go on for Songs of Praise. After that, it was the radio and I would start feeling sad when Sing Something Simple came on, as it meant I'd soon have to go to bed and it would be school again tomorrow.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 21:50:44

Oh yes, I can remember the top 40, or maybe 20, then the dreaded Sing Something Simple, too.

Gonegirl Mon 04-Nov-19 22:05:39

I can't remember what we had for Sunday tea in the forties. Probably bread and jam, same as other days. The teas described on this thread are more like we had when my children were young in the seventies.

You must all have been very comfortably off.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 22:07:24

My teas were in the 70s. smile

Gonegirl Mon 04-Nov-19 22:12:47

Sing Something Simple was lovely. Used to sing along to it sometimes with my mum-in-law while we did the washing up.