Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you...

(65 Posts)
annsixty Wed 06-Nov-19 10:15:42

Self partnering.?
I think that is the phrase Emma ? Someone is calling herself.
With conscious uncoupling by another actor, where will it all and I ask myself

Callistemon Thu 07-Nov-19 10:53:56

I don't think it was tongue-in-cheek - I think many of today's luvvies use language incomprehensible to the rest of us.

Whatever happened to the Campaign for Plain English?

rem1997 Thu 07-Nov-19 10:51:32

Janet Street Porter has stated what she thinks the phrase "self partnering" sounds like in today's Daily Mail!

Theoddbird Thu 07-Nov-19 10:38:50

I am happily single. I am happy taking myself to lunch or dinner or visiting places. Happy with my own company....yes happy on my own. I am a free spirit definitely.

Yorksherlass Thu 07-Nov-19 10:22:51

I’m not self partnering , just feels like it sometimes ( joke, I think ) ?

DoraMarr Thu 07-Nov-19 10:16:13

I think Emma Watson used the term tongue in cheek ( possibly knowing it would outrage some people?) but the point the article makes is that even today being married with children is the expectation- for men as well as women. This article is apposite:
www.theguardian.com/film/2019/nov/06/self-partnered-emma-watson-is-right-we-need-more-ways-to-be-single
I hate ticking the box “divorced” on forms, and usually put “single”, and sometimes “widowed” ( sorry ex) because “divorced” is such a limiting term, smacking of failure, whereas I see myself as someone who is successful. What do others think?

4allweknow Thu 07-Nov-19 10:14:29

When self partnering and going out eg for a meal or to cinema does one book one or two seats?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 07-Nov-19 10:08:48

It does sound daft, doesn't it? I suppose I could use the same term for myself as a widow - I don't consider myself single.
I expect as a millionaire she has to be careful or some young men would be after her for her money. Not a problem that need worry many of us.

M0nica Thu 07-Nov-19 09:26:48

DD decided that a single life was for her in her late teens, or possibly earlier. She decided against having children before she was five.

She is now in her mid 40s and has never doubted that her choice was the right one. She has a good career, owns her home, has a large social circle and dotes on her niece and nephew.

As my mother used to say' Better happily single than unhappily married.' (and she was happily married)

annsixty Thu 07-Nov-19 08:52:02

She? That popped in unbidden.

annsixty Thu 07-Nov-19 08:50:39

What could those of us widowed ( I hate that word) be called?
Matrimonially disconnected sounds more like divorce so ,matrimonially bereft? No that is not right except that is how it feels. She

sodapop Thu 07-Nov-19 08:33:44

I like that term SalsaQueen grin

crazyH Wed 06-Nov-19 22:06:06

Merlotgran, I think it was the comedian Joe Longthorne.

SalsaQueen Wed 06-Nov-19 22:01:24

What a very silly term she used. She's single and apparently enjoying her life, so why couldn't she just say that? I'm happily married (or perhaps some would say "matrimonially connected")

sassenach512 Wed 06-Nov-19 17:19:45

EllanVannin you really don't think that "schizo" comment is acceptable do you?

Callistemon Wed 06-Nov-19 17:18:22

This was apparently Emma Watson who has had numerous boyfriends but perhaps none come up to her standards (and nothing wrong with that, you have to kiss a lot of frogs).

However, 'single and happy' is what most people who are not self-obsessed would say.

It's probably luvvie-speak.

BlueBelle Wed 06-Nov-19 17:16:37

Happily single suits me fine no need for a new title

Gonegirl Wed 06-Nov-19 16:51:59

Yes, there are too many schizo's around.

And what exactly do you suggest we do with schizophrenic people?

Your post EV is reportable, but I cba.

sodapop Wed 06-Nov-19 16:49:27

Unfortunate comment EllanVannin I thought you would at least empathise with people who have a mental illness.

merlotgran Wed 06-Nov-19 14:51:32

Who was the comedian who used to parody Charles Aznavour's 'Dance in the old fashioned way?' He used to wrap his arms around himself with his back to the camera.

Definitely self-partnering. grin

annep1 Wed 06-Nov-19 14:39:53

Just read the article Anniebach. What nonsense, the world gets weirder...

Callistemon Wed 06-Nov-19 14:32:36

There was also the woman who married a rock.

Callistemon Wed 06-Nov-19 14:32:09

At least I don't think I know them
(A bit worried now)

Wheniwasyourage Wed 06-Nov-19 14:31:41

Yes you can, Anniebach. There was an article in the Guardian a few years back about some woman who married herself. And no, it wasn't April the 1st!

Callistemon Wed 06-Nov-19 14:31:08

But she's not on her own

"Me and my shadow"

I think I have a doppelganger; at least three people have come up to me recently and greeted me like a friend, one even insisted she'd been out for coffee with me only the previous week!

I didn't know any of them.

Anniebach Wed 06-Nov-19 14:28:37

If you self partner can you self marry ?