Gransnet forums

Chat

What does 'a teacher' look like?

(82 Posts)
MamaCaz Mon 11-Nov-19 09:29:28

I've been told on several occasions that I "look like a teacher", twice by total strangers on public transport (though one was drunk and the other clearly had learning difficulties.

I don't think it's meant as a compliment, but it always makes me wonder what a teacher supposedly looks like and what bit of me ticks that box!

Have any of you ever been told that you look like you have a particular job/profession?

lemongrove Tue 12-Nov-19 16:55:06

eazybee ah! That’s why Mr Lemongrove is recognised as a former teacher then! ?

NanKate Tue 12-Nov-19 17:18:26

When I see someone struggling to buy a parking ticket or trying to work out the self service machine in Sainsbury’s I go in all guns blazing to instruct them. I often say ‘I used to be a teacher’ and the usually reply ‘I could tell that’ ! I am rather on the bossy side. ?

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 17:27:07

You're needed in our nearest Asda hypermarket, NanKate

ALL the tills are self-service, people were having a struggle, it took twice as long and I vowed never to go there again.

NanKate Tue 12-Nov-19 20:11:10

This could be my new calling Call ?

I helped a chap on Saturday who had got two self service machines going at once! He was in a right pickle. He was trying to buy 2 bottles of whisky amongst other things and I only just stopped one of the bottles falling on the floor, which he had put on the edge of the place you stack your goods. He told the supervisor he was no good and turned to me to finish off.

DH often says to me ‘you are not taking over again aren’t you ?’

Mirren Sat 16-Nov-19 17:16:18

I was often told looked like a teacher. I wasn't ... I was a doctor . I dont think I look like anything in particular !

Gonegirl Sat 16-Nov-19 17:18:00

Strained and tired usually.