Gransnet forums

Chat

What I did today No.2

(433 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Nov-19 10:28:33

I so much enjoyed hearing about everyone's daily happenings but the thread seems to have withered and died, so I'm reviving it.

Please don't think your day to day tasks sound mundane, they're not to me. smile

BradfordLass72 Tue 17-Dec-19 19:05:58

fatgran57 Lovley, heartwarmich story, thanks you, I can just imagine his joy grin
SalsaQueen I hope those workmen repaired the elderly people sucessfully smile
GrannySomerset Phew indeed. My fridge is the same. Only a tiny freezer on top but packed to the gun'ales.
Ampney Crucis -what a lovely name Marmight

The weather here did break and it's been wild, wet and very windy ever since but ideally cool for making pork pies.
As my eyes get worse I realise, as I do things I've loved, that this will probably be the last time.
It is with my Yorkshire Pork Pies.
Dicing 2 kilos of pork off the bone (I didn't cut myself, wonder of wonders) and ham and smoky bacon seemed to take an age.
The hot water pastry isn't difficult but getting it an even thickness is when you can hardly see and to my chagrin, one small part stuck to the tin and pulled away as I lifted the pie out. sad

This doesn't affect the taste of the pie but pouring in the hot, gelatinous stock once the pies are cooked, is hard when there's a hole waiting to let it all out! Usually stock goes into the top vents and sets around the pork mixture, keeping in the succulence.

I tipped the pie so the holey side was uppermost and added stock teaspoon by teaspoon and not much ran out onto the plate, so not a complete disaster.

I was too weary to write last night after getting through all the other stuff so it's about 8am now and I'm going swimming soon. Hoping to increase my 90 mins but I fear it is a vain hope today.

Callistemon Tue 17-Dec-19 18:52:27

I've had a lovely day, went to a big Carol concert in Devon, a wander around the Christmas market in lovely company.

DH has cooked dinner and just given me a glass of wine

Marmight Tue 17-Dec-19 17:19:28

This morning I actually got some housework done - doesn’t happen often - then up into the garage attic to sort out a few Christmas decorations. Minimalist this year. Out for lunch with DD1. It poured with rain so abandoned our wander round Cirencester and headed for Dobbies to keep dry. Gave up there as the Q for food was ridiculous and landed up at a lovely pub in Ampney Crucis where the food was delicious. Home to phone calls from the solicitor dealing with my Aunt’s estate. The saga continues. I’m now ensconced in front of the TV watching Miss Marple while scoffing mince pies, freebies from Dobbies.

GrannySomerset Tue 17-Dec-19 17:12:05

Coffee with friends, collected prescriptions to see us through to the new year, supermarket shop in preparation for guests for lunch on Thursday and London family for the weekend. Difficult at this time of year to find homes for the everything, but fridge and freezer now packed full. Made sausage rolls to take to WI party tonight, put out recycling, now about to organise DH’s supper before I get changed and go out. Phew!

SalsaQueen Tue 17-Dec-19 16:37:13

Today, Tuesday............

The usual faff of getting ready then went to work. Sorted out a few queries with the elderly people, directed a couple of workmen to repairs that needed doing there.

Went to son no. 2's house - whilst he was at work, I vacuumed through his downstairs rooms, cleaned the bathroom, wiped the kitchen surfaces, mopped the floor.

Got home, had a snack, made a couple of 'phone calls, replied to a couple of e-mails, vacuumed the downstairs rooms, mopped the floors (a cat plus husband traipsing in the wet footprints on laminate flooring), put the washer on.

Done online grocery shopping. It's a quick dinner tonight, of pie and mash, then I'll be off to Zumba with my friend.

BBbevan Tue 17-Dec-19 15:15:05

I went to my local school today where I volunteer. Helped with the childrens' Christmas lunches. Then buffet lunch for staff plus Secret Santa. I have been there 3 years and this is the first time I have been asked. ! Loved it and hope this continues . DH collected Holly , Ivy and hawthorn berries while I was out. So we will make our front door wreath tomorrow.

fatgran57 Tue 17-Dec-19 02:39:10

BradfordLass 72 Just went into local supermarket where my daughter works and she said that the young fellow had nearly worn her out thanking her for the santa hat!

We could see him in the distance wearing said hat, and as she had told him it was her mum who had given it to him and he wanted to know who we were, we went up to him and introduced ourselves.

Well the button on the hat was pressed and the (very loud) singing hat started up[smile}

We said that soon he would need new batteries for the thing!

So pleased we gave it to him and very pleased we don't have to listen to it at home any more!!!!

Grammaretto Mon 16-Dec-19 22:51:27

Just come home from a concert in Edinburgh of Handel's Messiah. The Hallelujah Chorus is still in my head. It was terrific. A real treat.

I'm starving now because I didn't have time for tea before setting out. You're right Nfk D food is never far from our minds. it's part of your GN name wink

BradfordLass72 Mon 16-Dec-19 22:34:48

Luckygirl get yourself some Bonjela. Sometimes I bite the side of my tongue quite hard when I'm asleep and Bonjela, after the initial sting, is soothig.

BBbevan Mon 16-Dec-19 19:40:01

We slept late as we were exhausted from our mini Christmas with the DGDs. Which was just wonderful.
Went to the Christmas concert of the school where I volunteer. It was so good, and the singing absolutely perfect. DH came too and he said he was very touched. Now relaxing, warm and a bit sleepy.
Have a good evening everyone. Where ever you may be

NfkDumpling Mon 16-Dec-19 18:45:53

Just skimmed down all your posts and food seems to be quite prominent! I hadn’t realised how much time it takes up in our lives.

I spent a lot of today trying to get on-line visas for our approaching holiday in Uganda. Lots of hiccups and failures including the form changing quite a bit during one of the crashes. Don’t know if it its our internet which keeps dropping out or their incompetent site. Now have both of us registered - but it won’t take our money so still not done. Will try again really early tomorrow.

In between I ate. And helped DH rehang a kitchen cupboard door from us having to take it off when the sink blocked last Friday. Plumber came with a large plunger which resulted in the pipes coming apart and flooding the kitchen floor. Our local hardware shop came to the rescue in the end with a large bottle of 98% hydrochloric acid which DH carefully used yesterday. It seems to be clear now!

SalsaQueen Mon 16-Dec-19 17:35:37

Today, Monday - the usual faffing about to get ready, then went to work, which was rather good - I called in on a few of the residents, chatted with them.

I took quite a few brand-new (still in packaging and with labels on) clothes, toys and books for boys, to the Salvation Army church, for their Christmas Present Appeal. I took 5 bin-liners full of clothes, toys and clothes (all used but no longer needed) to 2 charity shops. Went home.

Once home, I hoovered the stairs, and through all downstairs rooms. I sprayed all the bathroom tiles with mould remover stuff, then I went to B7 M. I bought bird food, nuts for the squirrels, and a few other things. Then I went to Aldi, bought some fruit and vegetables. Went home.

Once home, I cleaned the bathroom, then prepared chicken and vegetables, ready for dinner later. I folded loads of clean, dry washing, put it all away upstairs. Just going to make some Yorkshire puddings and get the potatoes in the oven to roast. After dinner, I'll load the dishwasher, have a couple of Vodkas, then shower and bed by 10.30

Menopaws Mon 16-Dec-19 14:43:08

Thanks lemon, yea took a break for a while, lots going on then I fractured my back six months ago so dealing with that but this hols an absolute godsend, feel like a new person, mentally and physically, hope you are well. The argy seems to have disappeared, did the cops finally find it?!!

Luckygirl Mon 16-Dec-19 11:00:13

Gosh - you are a busy lot!! I am impressed.

On Friday I went to the dentist for an emergency appointment and was in the chair for an hour! - and 4 more appointments to come. Unfortunately he nicked the side of my tongue and when the anaesthetic wore off it was very sore - and it hurts to speak as it is on the side of my tongue and rubs on my back teeth.

So I missed the concert I was meant to sing in on Saturday, but managed yesterday's sing with my choir in a local village carol service.

In the morning my sister dropped in briefly on her way to visit her MIL, and we roped BIL in with the SILs to help me reconstitute the bedroom with its rightful furniture (it had been a sort of hospital ward for OH before he went to NH) so that the estate agent can come and take pics for the brochure. DD also did lots of tidying - she is appalled by what she sees as the chaos I live in - but I know where everything is!!

I did not visit OH yesterday as so busy, but two of the DDs did. They said he seemed a little less paranoid now he is on a new drug regime; but he rang me this morning to ask me to come and save him from the people who are trying to kill him. I think it is just a question of timing the meds right - it is work in progress.

Happy day to all.

lemongrove Mon 16-Dec-19 07:01:56

Congratulations Menopaws how lovely for you, and I wondered where you had vanished to.?
Marmight we had been meaning to get to the Ash for that exhibition this week ( but life always has other ideas!)
Spent all yesterday ( and will today) visiting ill DH in hospital.My back is now shaped like a hospital plastic chair.
So much rain last night here, the river is seriously high,it’s a worry for those who live near it.
BradfordL you have more energy than me!

BradfordLass72 Mon 16-Dec-19 06:06:03

fatgran57 If you ever get a photo of the boy in the singing-dancing hat, I'd love to see it.

Awake and lively at 3am, so decided to get up and
prepare the vegetables for today's dinner (chicken breasts in a tomato, onion, capsicum garlicky sauce) but decided to actually cook the sauce and set the table for breakfast.

Back to bed at 5:30, slept until 7am. Made a cup of strong decaf.

After the family breakfast, the adults went off to work and my grandson made an Xmas card for his Mum and my son.

He said, "I saw this picture on Google and it just reminds me of you Grandma, shall I downloaded it for you?"
I quaked to think what his vision of me was like grin
I need not have worried.

Friends dropped by for coffee, homemade goodies and to deliver gifts, so that was a nice chance to relax for a while.

Grandson and I made a gluten free pizza base, simmered tomatoes with onion, basil and garlic and the boy spread that mix on the dough, added chopped up chorizo and milder sausage and grated cheese.
That was lunch for him. I had a bit of avocado and tomato left from breakfast - and a cuppa.
Weather is too hot and heavy to feel like eating - I wish it would break. sunshine sunshine sunshine sunshine

When my homecare lady arrived we first delivered a batch of Christmas-tree-shaped shortbread to my friend, the Anglican priest; then went to pick up 2 bags of audio books from the library.

To the veg shop for fruits, veg, milk and eggs and on to supermarket #1 for a small order of things needed for Xmas
and to pick up some klic-klac boxes for the pantry.

To the factory-bakery for my dil's Paleo bread and finally to supermarket#2 to pick up a larger order which should easily last me until the end of January.

From start to finish, this trip took 3 hours and I was totally done when I got home and wanted nothing but a cold shower.
The very-well-wrapped lemon cookies I'd left, reluctantly, on the wheelie bin for the heroic rubbish collectors had gone and I wondered if it had been pinched but no, the bin was empty so they got their wee Xmas gift. smile

The adults arrived far earlier than anticipated and whilst I was still lolling in my chair like a damp rag but my son took over and served the chicken dish (it had been cooked along with the pizza) prepared the salad and chopped strawberries and bananas for dessert.

There is so much food in the fridge now, I could have my pick of several yummy things but I just don't have an appetite.

Unlike you fatgran57 I did no laundry as despite the heat, it has sprinkled on and off all day - but I was too enervated anyway.

I hope for a quieter day tomorow as I'll be slicing pork off the bone (you watch, I'll cut myslf on that sharp knife) dicing it, ham and bacon; making hot water pastry for the traditional Yorkshire Pork Pies.

grin

fatgran57 Mon 16-Dec-19 01:15:57

BradfordLass72 you certainly amaze me also with all that you do!

Apart from the usual chores OH and I took grandson to school, OH drives him out 3 days a week, grandson comes here at 7.30 these 3 days as both parents go to work. School holdiays next week and we look forward to time off!

Then I went for a walk, OH made a coffee on machine, he does this everyday as he is the best at this.

Did three loads of washing as nice sunny day, got OH his morning tea, made a large egg and bacon pie and roasted a tray of chopped pumpkin for a pumpkin and fetta salad, DD2 called in on her break to pick up a singing dancing santa hat I said she could give a young special needs chap at her work. He loves to dress up at Christmas and this hat drove us mad as it was very LOUD when switched on so was glad to see the back of it!

Got OH his lunch, he is cleaning some old bricks for garden edging, will wash up shortly then do some ironing.

Hope I get outside sometime today as I have things to plant in garden.

SIL birthday but declined invite for dinner as we were out for DGD birthday a few days ago.

Have to space the meals out or it gets too expensive. They didn't mind.

Had to shoo the cat out or he would have jumped on my cooling cooking. He is a HUGE eater, has first second and third breakfast, then lunch, afternoon food, dinner and supper. If we don't feed him he becomes very aggressive. He was a stray from several years ago and probably had to go without food a lot then. He isn't overweight though.

Grammaretto Sun 15-Dec-19 20:46:12

Lovely news Menopaws enjoy your sunny Christmas.

You amaze me BradfordLass and others with your energy and drive.

After a weekend with the family and the long dark drive home, I'm already in bed!
DGD aged four asked "why do you have boobies granny?" and other interesing questions. She also gave me a lecture on the problem of plastic waste killing sealife. Her information comes from The Octonauts, a TV animation series.
I know we grans like to say how intelligent our DGC are. Well they are! wink

BBbevan Sun 15-Dec-19 19:08:35

Reverse of Friday Drove M25 and then M4, Tired now

BradfordLass72 Sun 15-Dec-19 19:03:25

Phew! Marmight hope you're not sick for Christmas.

Marmight Sun 15-Dec-19 10:45:07

Many congratulations Menopaws have a wonderful time with your family.
Busy week for me hence no What-I-Did-Todays! I had 2 days in Oxford, meeting up with a GN pal at the Ashmolean where we marvelled at the Last Supper in Pompei exhibition and over lunch (thank you K) chatted non stop. We have both lost our husbands, although I am a few years on from her, and it helps enormously to talk & listen & encourage. Home in the dark in atrocious weather on unfamiliar roads. Next morning up bright & not ver breezy to go to a mini wreath workshop & then on to the W.I. Christmas meeting/party. Hilarious! Everything has to be repeated at least x3. I think I must be one of the youngest members. They've all known each other for ever & I certainly feel the Outsider. Cliquey hardly covers it. Next day up early as grandsons for brekkie/school, eye test and last Art Group session before boys returned for a sleepover. By Friday I felt I was going down with something so planned a duvet day until a call from school asking me to pick up the unwell 9 year old. He proceeded to talk football nonstop and eat beans on toast so not a lot wrong with him! Another sleepover (it must be Christmas party time) leading to saturday. Concert rehearsal all afternoon and a very successful concert in the candlelit Church. Another tonight. I am actually beginning to feel almost Christmassy but just missing that one special person

BradfordLass72 Sun 15-Dec-19 04:43:13

welbeck Glad you're feeling better. smile

I am quite definitely squiffy and can't remember when I last had several glasses of wine, as I have today. Excuse me if I giggle a lot. I may even burp. grin

Callistemon I would decorate an Xmas cake with almonds, cherries and walnuts, covered with a marmalade glaze, very easy.

Started the day by baking (by hand not machine) 2 loaves of sunflower seed bread and making a batch of lemon curd for my guests at tomorrow's breakfast.

My grandson is coming tomorrow, so I made a Christmas card template, with gold braid and stars down the side and downloaded several Xmassy pictures for him to stick on, if he chooses.

This afternoon, was conveyed by taxi to the home of the Minister for Social Development and Disability Issues where a wonderful repast and a house full of lovely people were waiting to force offer me strong drink and stronger cheeses, ham, salads and desserts.

She's a truly lovely lassie and long-time friend, who made sure I had food, drink a comfy chair, good company and transport home at the end of the evening.

Now, if I can stop laughing and stand up straight, I'm going to make gluten free brownies which will be decorated with fresh strawberries for tomorrow evening's dinner (same 4 guests coming back).

However I very much suspect that what will actually happen is that I'll fall on my bed and sleep off the booze grin.

welbeck Sat 14-Dec-19 23:16:50

BradfordLass72, thank you for your concern.
yes, I did eventually go over road to check neighbour.
head snoring so crept away before I was involved in any more drama.
actually felt good, and understood the phrase, don't let him her yank your chain. not that she does it deliberately but I can get stuck in patterns of behaviour, end up doing too much, eventually resent and blame the other person for it.
I think that's what's meant by co-dependency.
anyway today managed to see the careworker going by and arranged to go shopping together later. just groceries. but useful. and she is excellent company, a real symbiotic relationship, that one. she is a real blessing, and to the neighbour.
back from shopping I munched cold fish burger n chips from mcdonalds. then a whole tub of low calorie ice cream, no have freezer, so had to eat it. as you see I have an excellent healthy life=style. not surprisingly after my feast, fell asleep while internetting.
sustained again by angel radio. anyone like music 1920s-1960s find it on DAB or online. run by group volunteers, no politicking. anyone got any old gramophone records unwanted, they'd love them. lost some of their store in recent fire.
the other night amid much bewailing I was moved to laughter by in the dark middle of night, max miller at the hackney empire ?1959. inimitable. i could almost see his florid suit with wide culotte-style trousers.
thank you all on here for being somewhere i can say how trying to get through keep going.

BBbevan Sat 14-Dec-19 15:44:14

Having a mini Christmas today at DS's house. They are going away for Christmas, so we have had presents and full Christmas lunch. We all keep forgetting it is not the real day. Good fun though.

dragonfly46 Sat 14-Dec-19 13:02:34

Congratulations menopaws how wonderful for you - enjoy Christmas.