Gransnet forums

Chat

What I did today No.2

(433 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Nov-19 10:28:33

I so much enjoyed hearing about everyone's daily happenings but the thread seems to have withered and died, so I'm reviving it.

Please don't think your day to day tasks sound mundane, they're not to me. smile

BBbevan Sun 29-Dec-19 15:21:41

Thanks Marmight, a lovely quiet Christmas.
Weather forecast said mild and overcast. Well we decided on a walk. Just to the sea and back. It was overcast but perishing cold.
Got home glowing. I feel we have been indoors forever, what with the rain and cold. DH made cheese omelette for lunch. ( masses of cheese in fridge) Last of the turkey for dinner, with roast potatoes and veg.
Quiet evening in store.

Marmight Sun 29-Dec-19 15:12:32

Good heavens! Where has the last week gone? I’m just surfacing from a week at DD3’s plus DD1 and their families plus the in-laws. 22 of us including 18 month old twins, a 10 month old and 8 others under 11. Too much food, too much alcohol and, despite the Secret Santa rule, too many presents. On Christmas Day the boiler broke down so no hot water/heating until the plumber comes next week. My allocated position was twixt the hob, heating saucepans full of water and the sink, washing up the dishwasher having collapsed under the strain. You can imagine the rest ?. I drove home yesterday feeling distinctly jaded, took to my bed and slept for 12 hours. Much as I enjoyed it, I am pleased to be home, albeit alone, in relative comfort & peace. All over until next time!
I hope you all had a good time too...,

BBbevan Mon 23-Dec-19 10:42:09

We got up early and went to Tesco for some last minute things We got there at 7:15 along with the world and his wife . "How can gin and sherry be last minute?" I asked DH as he merrily added them to an already full basket. Anyway back home now and getting out the Christmas plates and table cloths. Spot of ironing and then lunch. I love this time when everything is ready. A bit sad that DS, DiL and the 2 DGDs will not be here but they are abroad with their other GPs and having a great adventure.

BradfordLass72 Mon 23-Dec-19 08:01:23

Luckygirl Glad you had a lovely, bright spot in what has been such a long and trying time for you.
And that wretched weather doesn't help sad

Have been on the go all day. Nothing exciting, just last-minute shopping and preparation and cleaning.
To be truthful, I didn't know it was 23rd today, thought I had two more days to play with.

Mended a picture frame which fell off the wall and which contained my grandson's art work.

Went out to put a net over the fig tree; not one fig on it, possibly due to the drought, so a futile exercise.
Pruned both roses and the pittisporum. Watered the tomatoes and added fertiliser.

My homecare lady gave me a gorgeous bunch of flowers.

Invented a new dessert [smile} I had made mille feuille and there were some flaky pastry crumbs on the tray after trimming.
Also made strawberry tarts, with melted dark (sugar-free) chocolate in the base.
So on a whim, stirred the flakes into the left-over chocolate and let it set, then sprinkled it onto the 2tbs of creme pattiserie left over and added a few strawberries. e Voila! a new dessert. Yummy.

Only disappointing note today is that I've lost even more sight in my right eye (which was the better of the two). Felt like saying a very naughty word grin

Luckygirl Sun 22-Dec-19 09:32:26

sown??? - down

Luckygirl Sun 22-Dec-19 09:32:11

Eldest DD is sown from up north and it was lovely to see her.

We all spent quite a while with OH in NH - he was pleased to see her, but quite "out of it."

Spent lovely evening at DD2's where visiting DD is staying - had a lovely salmon meal and watched Murder on the The Orient Express by the lovely warm woodburner. DD1 then drove me home in more floods and pouring rain.

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Dec-19 08:38:33

Cooking, GN and laundry all day.
smile

Short and welcome visit from the lady for whom I make shortbread; she brought a shiny package for under the tree.

Lovely neighbour opposite came over with a bouquet of silver beet as 'thanks' for the cake. His daughter has just a glimmer of hope that she may rise up the list for housing.
Fingers crossed.

Ate a tin of sardines for tea. Now off to bed. moon If anyone is still reading this thread, Night-night.

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Dec-19 22:27:21

Went for the last swim of the year. Felt as vigorou as Alice Tai - pity I can't swim like her smile

Came home and made ham & vegetable soup and a big chocolate cake for Sia, my homecare lady. Later, decorated it with choc and fresh strawberies.

Still battling Sia's apparent confusion. Her spoken English is perfect but not her comprehension.
"Sia, do you pass a post box on your way home?"
'Yes'
'Could you put this in for me? It has a stamp already on it.'
'Sure'
She looked at the name and address.
'That's a long way, I might not be able to go today.'

Why did she think I wanted her to go to the home of the recipient and put it personally into the mail box? What am I doing wrong?
At least she remembered to take the old sheets off my bed before making it up with clean ones. So we are getting there grin

Amazingly, we have also had torrential rain leading to floods plus wild winds but it settled down enough in the afternoon to launder the bedding and hang it out.

SalsaQueen Fri 20-Dec-19 20:59:09

Today, Friday..... the faff to get ready, then went to work. I called in to see 3 of the elderly people. One gave me a Christmas present. My supervisor turned up, with a bottle of Prosecco and some chocolates for me, so that was nice too.

Home, changed my clothes quickly, went to meet a couple of friends in the pub. We had had lunch and exchanged presents.

Home again, helped Him Indoors to put up the Christmas tree and some trimmings. Fell asleep for 40 minutes! (I'd had ONE small glass of wine)

Son no.2 rang, asked if I could give him a lift into the city centre, for his work'd do. I picked him up at 6.30, took him. I met my husband and son no. 1 in the local (they had a drink, I didn't) then drove home, made a curry, just going to eat that and then have a bath.

BBbevan Fri 20-Dec-19 20:52:00

Be good if we could send some of our rain to Australia. They need it more than us, poor souls

Marmight Fri 20-Dec-19 20:51:19

Love the idea of a beanie with a light Lucky. The floods are bad here too. All the fields round the village are well under water. The infant Thames flows through the village and its about to hit the roads.
This morning up early for GSs brekkie then to school. My PT came to put me through my paces then off to the Church to help prepare for the entire school to arrive for end of term service/assembly. Standing room only for the parents. Bit of play acting telling the story of Joseph. I was the Inn Keeper; quick change and metamorphised as a Wise Man with 2 diddy WM under my wing. The children love it. Home. 40 winks then spent nearly 2 hours prepping veg for shepherds pies which I’ll do tomorrow. How can it take so long to peel potatoes, carrots and chop onions & leeks.? Maybe I nodded off on the job! I now stink of onions. Legs up & now watching Vera with one eye (it’s a repeat but I can never remember who dunnit!).

Luckygirl Fri 20-Dec-19 20:11:10

Woke up in middle of night because I was so hot and found I had left the convector heater on by mistake. I have been trying to be very careful about fuel use and usually just pop it on as I get ready for bed. But I popped it on and left it on!!!

Pottered with chores before setting off to see OH in NH - something is amiss - he is grumpy, confused and miserable and a sixth sense tells me that that the carers are struggling with him a bit. I am not sure what this is about. My DDs have sensed something too - I will see what happens.

Drove from NH to DGC's school through the most hair-raising floods I thought I might not make it there - massive long queues waiting to get through and the fields around the main bridge have turned into a huge lake. The river has completely burst its banks.

Picked up the children and took them to DDs to celebrate another GD's birthday. He loved my gift - a black beanie with a light on the front to wear under his cycle helmet - so chalk that up as a success for grandma!

Third DD arrived there for a visit from the frozen north, so all 3 girls together. I will see them all again tomorrow.

Back home through more floods in the pitch dark - why do people drive so fast in such conditions? - beats me.

Auntieflo Fri 20-Dec-19 19:44:18

Phoned my brother and wished him happy birthday.
Showered and then gave DH a lift to town.
Popped into "my" charity shop for a few moments.
Came home and had a coffee.
Decided to make another dozen mince pies. I had a little bit of pastry left over, and didn't fancy a jam turn over, which is what I used to make when the children were small. So I made a cheese and onion turnover, and had it for my lunch. It was delicious.
Also made a pot of leek and potato soup, and prepared supper.
While DH was out, I ventured into the loft (don't tell DH), to get the wreath for the front door down.
He hasn't noticed it, yet!
It has been very wet again here today, and huge amounts of water laying at the roadsides.
Am going to have a lazy evening, catching up on recorded TV.

BBbevan Thu 19-Dec-19 05:15:05

Love the fairy Marmight. A family heirloom to be, I think.
Getting up soon. Picking up DD at 8 to go shopping. Also the library. Then home to make the door wreath. We were going to do it yesterday but heavy rain and high wind was forecast. We didn't want the wreath banging about on the front door.

We had a Christmas letter from a friend whose wife has been suffering from dementia for a while and has now been moved to a nursing home. He says she is "fully funded". I was thinking of Luckygirl , her OH and all her problems. Why might this be ? Seems rather unfair to me.
Have a good day everyone . Still wet and windy here .

BradfordLass72 Thu 19-Dec-19 05:06:29

BBbevan Indeed, the lull before the storm smile
Marmight LOVE the bonkers fairy, what a brilliant idea.
SalsaQueen The Victorian carollers sound lovely. When I lived in Cornwall we did something similar.
Luckygirl Do you sing to your DH? When my friend's husband was in exactly the same situation, we recorded Scottish songs. He didn't know his wife but he responded to the music of his youth.

A quiet day for me. Did some laundry and hung that out in the sun.
Made and decorate two cakes and walked across the road to my neighbour with an iced, strawberry vanilla cake.
His daughter and her two girls are still looking for a home and live with him in his pensioner cottage, so I hoped the cake might cheer them.

My appetite was better today: a bit of quiche and salad for lunch and cauliflower for tea with a bit of ham. Ate it but didn't really enjoy it...and me a foodie as well!
Can't even blame it on the weather as it's cool today.

Put all the clean laundrty away this afternoon, cleaned the kitchen, listened to an audio book, 'The Mexican Saddle' (a western) and wrote up my diary. So not a particularly interesting day.

Swimming first thing tomorrow, the last session this year. In fact the next date I have transport will be 13th January... that's a long time to wait for a swim. sad

Luckygirl Wed 18-Dec-19 22:41:25

BradfordLass72 - I'm impressed with the swimming!

This morning I went to stitching group which is restful and convivial. One member was just back from India and had lots to tell us.

Then off to NH to see DH. Once again he is very weak indeed. A friend also called in to see him, but he was pretty well out of it and not able to converse. She too is a singer, and as she was leaving she bumped into a small choir who were coming in to sing carols, so she and I got roped in!

From there horrendous drive in dark and rain and floods to DHC's nativity play - I hate driving in the dark and I missed a turning as I was blinded by headlights so had to drive even further to turn round and drive back!

OH spent a lot of time today talking about dying and what he wants to happen to him - a very rational conversation in the midst of a lot of delusional talk. He has given me medical reasons why he thinks he is dying - it is hard to know how to take this because he veers between rationality and delusions and paranoia. But he seemed calm when I left - although rang me in a panic when I got home to say he was being thrown out and where could he go - very hard for the poor man.

Marmight Wed 18-Dec-19 21:27:56

What diverse lives we all live. I love reading of the daily doings. You are all amazing! Yes GA I really do have a garage attic. I’m awfully posh don't you know ?
This morning I ran Henry over the downstairs floors in a weak attempt to keep on top of things before going to a ‘make a bonkers fairy’ workshop. It was such fun; about 13 of us all producing totally different efforts. Home via Aldi. I’m making cottage pies for Boxing Day for 22 including a veggie version so had to buy the wherewithall. And, it being Aldi, I had a loiter down the middle aisles . Disaster. Really shouldn't do it. Home to more phone calls re the sale of my Aunt’s house. Its becoming tedious now. My poor Aunt would be so upset to know I was having to do all this work although she did take great delight in telling me that I’d have the hard job of clearing out 103 years worth of possessions ?. This evening I made a half hearted attempt at Christmas decorations. My heart really isn't in it. I miss J so much at this time of the year. Well, all the time really but more so around his birthday/Christmas/anniv of his death
Ach well, tomorrow’s another day. Chin up. Night night all

SalsaQueen Wed 18-Dec-19 19:55:52

BradfordLass72...if only grin

Today, Wednesday.... changed the bed, put the washer on, got ready for work. Spent 15 minutes whistling the cat to come in, thinking Him Indoors had let the cat out earlier, only to find the furry beast asleep in the spare room grin.

Work - not a bad morning. Chatted, make a few 'phone calls, visited a few old dears.

Went to Asda, to collect a microwave I'd ordered for son no. 2. There was a group of people, wearing Victorian outfits, singing carols in the shop, so that was quite nice. They were collecting for some charity or other, so I gave them a couple of quid.

Home, had a snack, put the wet washing on the clotheshorse, did a bit of ironing, then went to meet son no. 1 from the tram station, fetched his 2 girls from school, wet to a play centre then Wetherspoon's for dinner. Took them back to their mum, then went home. Just going to have a bath and get my pyjamas on, ready for a cosy evening in.

GrannySomerset Wed 18-Dec-19 17:54:56

Lovely lunch for DH’s U3A Latin group, hosted by a generous member. DH withdrawn and didn’t contribute very much but still enjoyed it.

Home to large pile of ironing and prep for tomorrow’s lunch. Am hoping young relatives will help with getting the tree and boxes of decorations out of the garage. The spring time clearance and reorganisation means that things only needed once a year are on shelves out of my feeble reach so younger help is needed. It seemed a good idea at the time!

BBbevan Wed 18-Dec-19 17:30:52

Not much really. We got up late. DH went to lay the fire but it was still glowing from last night. So he lit it. Then we had coffee and toast, Heaven. I very rarely have toast ( diabetic) , no jam though. Then moved a poorly indoor plant to a nicer spot. Sorted the shopping list and menu for next week and that is about all. Just had dinner and having a spot of GN.
This time next week !!!!!

BradfordLass72 Wed 18-Dec-19 06:15:45

grannyactivist A lovely story, made me go all soft and smiley.
Luckygirl Still battling on - I'm glad you didn't risk the dreadful weather. That counsellor! Blimey, I'd have words.

Up betimes to coffee, a slice of Paleo toast and a poached egg. Watched the trees being blown almost horizontal and the birds bowling along the road, wings outstretched smile like little wind-surfers.

As predicted, I only managed 40 mins (just) swimming today and felt pathetic.
Usually, I rely on the first 15 mins jolly hard work to bring its own energy which then keeps me going. Today that didn't happen.

Home to make a quiche, do some laundry, which all had to be pegged securely (don't want me bloomers ending up in the next street) as we currently have almost 90kph winds.
Sunny though - and the temps have dropped by 10 degrees.

Spent hours trying to make my printer work after dgs used it yesterday. Unbeknown to me he'd pressed many buttons, changing all the setting and loading 12 high-memory things onto the print queue, probably by accident.

Normal 'delete' wouldn't work so I had to delve into the computer's innard and do it the hard way. What a faff but got there in the end.

Had carrot and white sauce for lunch, with a bit of sliced ham.
The quiche was for tea with salad but it's now 7:15pm and I'm past wanting to eat. It'll do tomorrow.

MiniMoon Tue 17-Dec-19 21:54:43

After getting up this morning I pottered about, emptied the dishwasher and did a general tidy up.
I made a smoked haddock and cumin chowder for lunch, which we ate with crusty bread.
Washed up the dinner dishes and a watched the latest episode of His Dark Materials on catch up.
DH went out to work.
I went into the kitchen and got out my baking things (a rare event).
I made 21 currant and almond tartlets. I make these as an acid reflux alternative to mince pies.
Had more crusty bread and cheese for supper, and sampled a couple of the tarts.
Been watching tv since, but must go to bed soon as I've got to be up early to look after grandchildren. The younger grandson has his ADHD appointment at 9 am.

Luckygirl Tue 17-Dec-19 20:48:08

GP appointment this morning first thing - the surgery is a great place to pick up bugs!!!

Then off to see OH in NH. He was awful today - I thought he was going to fade away before my eyes - so weak he could not get a tissue to his nose. I was supposed to go to nativity at GCs' school bit stayed on and sat with him. I hope to see it tomorrow evening.

A nurse from the hospice came to see him, but he was asleep - the hospice are not really involved much with him and actually do very little at the moment. I am a bit concerned about the counsellor they sent to me a week or two ago - she was just chatting about her DDs etc. - not very professional; and even less professional is that I have discovered that she told my neighbour she had been to see me and what a disgrace it was that I was selling my home to pay for NH fees. Neighbour told me this. Hmmm!

Drove home in pea-souper fog and OH rang straight away to say I had got to go back and save him - he thinks he is being killed.

I have wasted an evening lazing about trying to get warm. I have been trying to save on oil but have given that up now as it is so cold. I was going out this evening to a village thing but the cold, dark and fog put me off.

I am just watching a programme about animals in the snow - why am I doing this? - it is not making me feel any warmer!!!! Must find the electric blanket!

Grammaretto Tue 17-Dec-19 20:07:55

What wonderful uplifting stories you are sharing. grannyactivist, that's so nice about your client's present buying. As for DH's cycling. I think I would be worried . I'm glad you aren't. About his knees if nothing else.

I have finished my cards. Not as many as usual but it's always the way, when the post arrives it's a card from someone you've missed and today it was a rather sad (to me) letter from a friend who has split from her DH. Their DC are only young and I can't help feeling sad for them however much the parents say they are still good friends.
I like them both/all.

grannyactivist Tue 17-Dec-19 19:35:26

Marmight - your garage has an attic?!?

Today I went to work! What did I do? I went Christmas shopping with a chap who has a learning disability. Having got his Personal Independence Payments reinstated for him he had enough money, for the first time in his life, to buy gifts for family and friends. It was incredibly moving to see his excitement as we made a list of his relatives and then went around the shop (Boots) buying gifts for each. He was doubly excited at the buy 3 for 2 offers. grin

Then we went along to the support group I run for past and present clients, where tea and cake, or in my case a latte sans cake, were the order of the day (it's held in a local cafe). It was a very jolly little gathering and I was really pleased to be back with my little flock.

Just to put the icing on the cake, as I left the cafe I bumped into my lovely husband who had just kayaked 25 miles along the river/coast from the city and was walking home from the seafront. He's now cycled (!!) back to the city (we do have buses here) to collect the car, he's stopping on the way home to pick up a new bike he's ordered, then he needs to drive back to the seafront to collect the kayak! It's freezing cold here and I'm sure he's completely bonkers, but he has an adventurers soul and I love him for it.