Gransnet forums

Chat

Giving flowers

(27 Posts)
annsixty Tue 12-Nov-19 10:31:44

I do realise that what I am going to say may gain some criticism and I need to say I am very grateful for the thought, but..
My GD's Aunt came to see her last week and she brought me flowers.
It was a kind and welcome thought ,however the "flowers" consist of those small ornamental cabbage things, I don't know what they are called.
It also includes two stalks of lillies and something else I don't recognise.
My point is I would never give them to anyone as I just don't like them.
In my opinion they are not attractive, the stalks are thick and look as if they should have Brussels sprouts attached.
I have them on display as they were kindly given.
Do you give flowers you wouldn't choose for yourself?

Greenfinch Tue 12-Nov-19 10:37:13

I don't generally give flowers but I would only give colourful ones that I like myself and certainly never lilies. Lots of people dislike their powerful smell and they are toxic for cats as well.

M0nica Tue 12-Nov-19 10:37:34

No, I would never give flowers I wouldn't buy for myself, but everyone has different tastes and at times one is given flowers that one would prefer to not have. I just say thnk you, because it is the thought that counts and place them somewhere not too obvious.

Calendargirl Tue 12-Nov-19 10:38:53

I know what you mean about the ornamental cabbage things, but TBH I rather like them!
Perhaps she does also, and that is why she chose them.
You are being kind and thoughtful displaying them when you aren’t keen, which is nice as thinking of another thread it appears some people think nothing is wrong in returning an unwelcome gift.

dragonfly46 Tue 12-Nov-19 10:40:35

I often give flowers as I love them myself but I do not like the cabbage type ones or the bunches with lots of greenery. I give flowers I love myself, frequently blue and white ones.

DillytheGardener Tue 12-Nov-19 10:40:44

Goodness, I love receiving flowers. I’m allergic to Lillies so usually give those away, but other than that so grateful to receive them as it’s rare I get given any.

Pantglas2 Tue 12-Nov-19 10:44:58

I’m not keen on cut flowers as they soon die after all the bother of arranging and watering etc and they’re so expensive for something so short lived.

I’d much prefer something potted (including herbs/cacti) which can stay indoors or go out in the garden - that applies to the giving and receiving.

annodomini Tue 12-Nov-19 11:19:06

Freesias are my favourite flower to give or receive. I order them from a flower farm in Cornwall and they always arrive in good condition. Whereas supermarket freesias usually have little, if any, fragrance these have the true freesia scent more delicate than lilies' and, also unlike lilies, they don't drop pollen and make me sneeze. The same flower farm also sends daffodils and other flowers in season.

BBbevan Tue 12-Nov-19 11:39:43

I like bunches of things like chrysanthemums, narcissi, bluebells snowdrops etc. I hate neon dyed flowers so would never send something like that. Not terribly keen on roses either. The more natural the better. My DS once sent me a box of bluebells from Cornwall. They were beautiful and smelled divine. Sadly they did not last long

Teetime Tue 12-Nov-19 12:02:30

Yes I do give and buy flowers never the highly coloured or dyed ones and never chrysanths (so funereal). I love lilies for their structure and scent. I do like the cabbage things, I think they good in arrangements rather than a vase. However whatever anyone gives me is very welcome. flowers

SueDonim Tue 12-Nov-19 13:04:27

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say, so unless they know the recipient very well, I guess people give flowers that they themselves like.

I do give flowers fairly often and try to choose what the recipient will like and will last. I can't think I've ever bought those cabbage ones but I suppose they're a very modern take on floristry. I've revised my dislike of chrysanthemums with the new versions that are like giant pom-poms. A friend gave me some white ones recently, they're about five inches across and I've had them for nearly two weeks!

EllanVannin Tue 12-Nov-19 13:10:27

I wouldn't mind if any of them were perfumed----apart from the stargazer lilies.
No smell of the roses or carnations---very disappointing.

grannyactivist Tue 12-Nov-19 13:17:34

It has taken me thirty years to train The Wonderful Man in the art of flower giving for me. I don't particularly like mixed flowers, preferring a bunch (or two, or three) that are all the same. I do like to receive a well put together bouquet, but one of this flower and two of that don't do it for me.

The problem is I always received his bunches with polite thanks and was genuinely very glad of the thought. Eventually I mentioned to him that he should maybe look at the flowers I buy myself to see what I like and it was a light bulb moment for him.

You can't help liking or disliking something, but it's good to receive a gift with thanks.

J52 Tue 12-Nov-19 13:26:19

I often take flowers to friends and do like receiving them. I try to get something that the receiver will like. Roses are my go to, unless it’s the short season of spring flowers.
I also hate the cabbages, they rot and stink. I’m often disappointed when someone ( usually DSs) has paid a lot of money for a bouquet that’s padded out with branches of shrub.

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 13:26:48

I truly hate those "ornamental" cabbages. Nothing very ornamental about them. They just look like cabbages.

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 13:27:58

DH always gets my birthday flowers from the same little local florist. They always put a lovely bunch together for him.

threexnanny Tue 12-Nov-19 13:34:55

I agree about the lillies, but otherwise any flowers or plants gratefully received.

dragonfly46 Tue 12-Nov-19 13:38:10

My best birthday present is a monthly bunch of flowers posted through my letterbox curtesy of my DD.

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 14:08:27

Oh that's lovely Dragonfly. With us it's the other way round. I send them letterbox flowers. hmm

whywhywhy Tue 12-Nov-19 14:12:07

I love all flowers ? and I give a variety of them to friends.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:14:28

I love to give and receive flowers but not lilies. Their scent is overpowering and they are poisonous to cats. I quite like the 'cabbages'.

dragonflysmile my "best birthday present" is the bouquet of flowers from our DS who lives so far away in Aus.

maytime2 Tue 12-Nov-19 15:05:52

I bought some flowers last week that had ornamental cabbages as part of the display. I would never buy them again, after a few days the smell from the vase was revolting, i.e think stale cooked cabbage.
I usually try to find matching colours in a bouquet but some of them are absolutely garish. Who on earth puts these flowers together for sale.

notanan2 Tue 12-Nov-19 16:27:38

Presumably the giver liked them and would have liked to receive them.

Unless you think there is a lot more to this and have reason to believe they would have known you would dislike them so gavs them as a "sting in the tail" gift.

They clearly sell. I see them a lot so ppl must like them.

annsixty Tue 12-Nov-19 16:31:37

No notanan I don't think there was any hidden message, I don't know the person who gave them very well which made me think that giving me flowers was such a nice gesture.
She must like them herself.

lemongrove Tue 12-Nov-19 16:36:34

Another cabbage hater here!?
Anything else is fine, although I generally wouldn’t choose any yellow flowers.
I often buy flowers for friends, particularly if I know they are feeling ‘down’, and always take some if we are invited for dinner.