Gransnet forums

Chat

Lol

(87 Posts)
annsixty Wed 13-Nov-19 11:53:00

Does anyone else hate this abbreviation/ expression ,whatever as much I do?
I realised it is used by many people to express many things but I really dislike it.
It was posted as a form of ridicule towards me yesterday, perhaps partly justified in others eyes but it didn't go down well with me .
I am not asking for comments about that situation, just ,do you use it?

icanhandthemback Thu 14-Nov-19 11:42:01

Well, I wonder how many people I have alienated! I use it when somebody sends me something funny and I haven't time to type much. I use it when I want to show I am attempting to be funny about something so it doesn't cause offence. Now it turns out that I have been being offensive. Lol.

bridie54 Thu 14-Nov-19 11:42:30

Haven’t read all of this thread but so many abbreviations have passed me by completely. I do recognise and use some but there are times I just can’t be bothered to look up the meaning. Maybe sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Nanny27 Thu 14-Nov-19 11:47:32

I've never thought to be offended by lol but I've never heard of TU or TU4

annep1 Thu 14-Nov-19 12:06:07

Oh fgs (for goodness sake) it's just used for speed. I've np ( no problem) with shortcuts. We use them all the time on GN( Gransnet.) eg YABU, DiL etc.
However I am a bit disgusted with PMSL. just vulgar imo ( in my opinion) ? and words like guys and hun. My stepson refers to my husband and I as "you guys" aah! Grr!

rafichagran Thu 14-Nov-19 12:17:51

Really don't mind it. My daughter has has a masters degree, is not crass and it a very respected writer in her field. She sometimes uses LOL in her texts. Why does it bother people.

rosenoir Thu 14-Nov-19 12:18:13

DotMH1901 Baby boomers are those born between 1946 and 1964.

FarNorth Thu 14-Nov-19 12:19:48

I don't understand why some people online use 'lol' when they've said something not remotely funny, often something quite upsetting about their own life. confused

My DD & I use text speak for fun - it's actually sometimes more bother than writing normally. grin

I like emojis - did you spot that?

Hazeld Thu 14-Nov-19 13:06:32

I use it sometimes as do a lot of other people I know. There are worse I think.

Madmaggie Thu 14-Nov-19 14:30:11

I use it if I'm laughing at myself but not to mock others. I thought it meant lots of love until I was told it meant laugh out loud. Textspeak can never really convey all messages or intentions.

Kathy1959 Thu 14-Nov-19 14:49:21

I’ve always been a baby boomer, and I was born in 1959. That’s why the pensionable population just keeps going up, but our pensions haven’t!

Juliet27 Thu 14-Nov-19 16:04:33

‘Ha!’ Seems to have replaced lol

annep1 Thu 14-Nov-19 17:05:17

My best friend who died two years ago used to write tee hee.

4allweknow Thu 14-Nov-19 18:05:01

Never use it, end of.

Lindaylou55 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:32:35

The first time I encountered LOL was years ago and a young man in the office used to put this at the end of his email. I caused great hilarity when I asked one of the younger girls why he was sending me "Lots of Love" .

EthelJ Thu 14-Nov-19 19:14:18

I don't like it either annsixty

grannylyn65 Thu 14-Nov-19 19:18:27

Really don’t care

grannylyn65 Thu 14-Nov-19 19:18:56

Certainly not enough to post

EllaKeat Thu 14-Nov-19 19:21:11

I have to confess to liking 'meh'. It is so expressive I understand immediately how the poster feels.
LOL is overused and can be passive aggressive.
However, overall, I am a bit meh about it all ?( is that a lol)????

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 19:57:41

I've seen posters on here use meh and didn't know what it meant. It sounds as if it's a donkey braying.

MawB Thu 14-Nov-19 20:01:30

Oh Rosina Jane Austen was never a Jayne.

Saggi Thu 14-Nov-19 20:04:07

I don’t use it...emoji’s are much better. Although of course they are not available for all!

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 20:08:52

I'm not sure why a lady wearing a duster coat and petalled hat in the 1950s should be vinegar faced Rosina!

I have a lovely photo of my mum at my uncle's wedding wearing such a coat and hat and it was probably about 1963?
I had a duster coat too, very fashionable at the time
I was about 17.
Mum was beaming.

NanaandGrampy Thu 14-Nov-19 21:51:24

I use it, I like it , I don’t care if I’m crass ( I’m definitely not uneducated ) ?. It’s quick, easy and I use it as a signifier that I am a) not serious and b) I find something amusing .

There are plenty of other phrases I find far more crass and uneducated !

grannyactivist Thu 14-Nov-19 22:19:42

I don’t think I have ever used lol, but I have no real objections to any text speak.

Language has always been dynamic and neologisms pop up constantly. More confusing is when words change their actual meaning and it takes a while for society, and therefore dictionaries, to catch up. So the words ‘dirty’ ‘wicked’ and ‘sick’ now can all mean ‘good’ for instance. It’s confusing, but not a new thing at all; did you know that the word ‘nice’ used to be the word for describing a person who was stupid or foolish?

When writing letters (in the distant past, before email and text were ubiquitous) I also used tee hee to indicate something humorous annepl. Now we have this little chap to do it for us. grin

Redactrice Thu 14-Nov-19 22:40:25

I much prefer lol to haha as a way of indicating that your laughing.