Gransnet forums

Chat

Our gracious Queen

(474 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 14-Nov-19 13:58:53

Sad to read that Harry, Megan and Archie will not be with the royal family for Christmas. The Queen and Prince Phillip are so elderly now, who knows if they will be here next year. It would have been lovely to see photos of the family with the little family included. Sign of the times, when even the royal family are being pulled apart.sad

chaffinch Thu 14-Nov-19 14:09:06

To be fair, they have been at Sandringham the last two years, and after all the hoo- ha of late, I imagine Meghan wants to spend it with her own mum, with it being Archie’s first Christmas.
I agree the Queen and D of E will not be here for so much longer, but things move on.
I think they will spend time apart from the other royals reflecting, and hopefully planning on a more positive way forward .

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 14:10:14

Royal families pulled apart - more like they pull other families apart at Christmas. Once people marry into the RF they are supposed to spend every Christmas with her? Although I believe K and W had a Christmas with her parents.How nice for MM’s mum that she will have Christmas with her new dgs ( he’s only the Queens dggs and she’s got plenty of both)

Anniebach Thu 14-Nov-19 14:10:29

They will all be there as usual , with the exception of three minor royals .

Sad though, the queen and the Duke were more involved with
William and Harry than their other grandchildren who had both parents support.

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 14:13:46

And off we go.....

suzette1613 Thu 14-Nov-19 14:17:06

I expect that when someone marries into the Royal Family they know they are supposed to join in with all their conventions. The Princess of Wales found that it is not easy to try to `do your own thing` and Meghan must be finding it difficult too.
We don`t know, perhaps it was all amicably agreed about Christmas arrangements.
Having said that, I like the tradition and pageantry that goes with British royalty but of course am only an observer.

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 14:20:04

A regular Christmas issue up and down the land is families balancing the competing demands of both sides or Christmas visits. I’ve always though ot very selfish and entitled of the Q to think she should have first dibs.

grapefruitpip Thu 14-Nov-19 14:23:25

Thankfully, I could hide behind my husbands shift work and avoid all this nonsense.

It's not really possible to fit much in to a 24 hour window, a bit of a sleep and some food does the job.

EllanVannin Thu 14-Nov-19 14:30:43

The RF won't be on their own with what Christmas brings, sadly. It seems to be a time of the year where there's far too much made of those who " wish to do their own thing " by those who practically insist that it should be their way for various reasons.

There will be other times as I doubt very much that anyone's likely to suddenly die over the Christmas period.
It gives Meghan's mother chance to spend baby's first Christmas with her grandson and to get to know him as he's growing.

felice Thu 14-Nov-19 14:41:34

Glad to see I am not alone in my views, was Meghans Mother included in the invitation or expected to spend Christmas alone?
Good for them to want to spend time with her if that is the case.
I am not a royalist and getting very fed up of all the will they won't they, who is speaking to whom.
Who told the press they would not be spending the season to be jolly at Sandringham?.
They want the publicity, then they take it warts and all.
OK rant over had a stressful meeting last night and not in a good mood.

Kathy1959 Thu 14-Nov-19 15:03:58

I think the RF has become a ridiculous institution which needs to go. The Queen has done a good job, not that she had much choice! She’s been good at keeping stability in our country, against some of our wayward politicians. The alternative might have been, we end up with a “ Trump “ like prime minister. However, the shower coming up behind her are less than desirable, and don’t amount to much more than trashy celebrities. I think Princess Diana struggled with privilege and status, that’s why the public loved her. She would have instilled that into her sons, had she lived I’m sure, but they’re damaged, and it’s starting to show. I’m sure they’ll have a very indulgent Christmas, which is more than many people will.

merlotgran Thu 14-Nov-19 15:06:51

Harry and Meghan are beginning their six week 'retreating from all things royal' on Monday.

That's a sure fire way to have the press speculating over where they're going to be and what they'll be doing between now and the New Year. hmm

Daddima Thu 14-Nov-19 15:11:00

I don’t care.

Cherrytree59 Thu 14-Nov-19 15:12:29

They will do what most modern families do, when they are for whatever reason several hundred/thousand miles apart,

They will face time, Grandpa Charles and Great granny and Greatfather.??

And then they will say Look Archie, Great Granny is on the telly. ?

Anniebach Thu 14-Nov-19 15:18:04

Diana struggled with status and privilege !

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 15:24:11

Here we go here we go here we go

TerriBull Thu 14-Nov-19 15:45:47

I'm not anti royalist, however, I don't think it's unreasonable for Meghan to want to spend Christmas with her mother as she is on her own. I think it's all a big fuss over nothing, I'm sure the Queen doesn't mind she will be surrounded by umpteen grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Pantglas2 Thu 14-Nov-19 16:08:02

Yesterday was World Kindness Day - I wonder if there’s any left overs?

ayse Thu 14-Nov-19 16:15:42

I hope M and H have a great Christmas with her Mum. I think it would be best if M and H were left to get on with their own thing as long as the tax payers don’t have to pay. We have an heir and spares aplenty.

Maybe they’d be better off living abroad or whatever.

Fennel Thu 14-Nov-19 16:19:22

How do we know that the Queen and Phillip are upset about it? They probably understand that Meghan wants to be with her mother.
The press making mischief again.

Amagran Thu 14-Nov-19 16:36:17

The press Daily Mail making mischief again.

Surprise surprise! Isn't Prince Harry suing them about something?

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 16:51:37

Not for some posters when discussing some members of the RF there isn’t Pant

MawB Thu 14-Nov-19 16:53:31

Don’t exaggerate travelsafar ! Pulled apart really?
W and K have spent Christmas at Bucklebury with the Middleton before now.
And look at all the threads about unrealistic expectations about who spends Christmas where every year.

Anniebach Thu 14-Nov-19 16:57:21

If the reports of difficulties in the family are true, then possibly there is relief. And i don’t think the Windsors are vegan ?

merlotgran Thu 14-Nov-19 17:01:21

At least Kate and Meghan won't have to pretend they're besties during the walk to church on Christmas day.