Gransnet forums

Chat

Our gracious Queen

(475 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 14-Nov-19 13:58:53

Sad to read that Harry, Megan and Archie will not be with the royal family for Christmas. The Queen and Prince Phillip are so elderly now, who knows if they will be here next year. It would have been lovely to see photos of the family with the little family included. Sign of the times, when even the royal family are being pulled apart.sad

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Nov-19 18:00:29

I think we can all guess who masterminded this decision.

What did Harry once say to an aide...... “What Meghan wants Meghan gets “

She certainly does doesn’t she?

No doubt the wicked media will be in for more criticism for daring to report this.

The Queen and Philip are in their 90s. M and H are apparently spending Thanksgiving with her mother so surely they could have joined the rest of the Royals for Christmas.

Having said that it’s very probable the rest of them are highly relieved!

M0nica Thu 14-Nov-19 18:06:14

Families are always changing the traditions of centuries. Each generation doing it differently. It is no different in the Royal family to any other family. Just read GN for threads of outrage from grandparents because a child has chosen to come round an hour later than usual on Christmas day, or to spend the day with in-laws, who have as much right as them to spend Christmas day with their family.

I find it quite ridiculous that something like this should even be a something for the press to comment on. It is a normal part of family life.

Not even a storm in a tea cup, a light shower in a very small eggcup.

gillyknits Thu 14-Nov-19 18:11:57

Well said MOnica, I fully agree about this being a non story. My son and family haven’t been here for Christmas for six years. They always go to his MIL (which he hates!) I don’t mind as long as I see him over the Christmas period. It’s onlr a day.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 18:19:45

I'm still trying to work out who heard Harry say "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets".

Honestly...

I'm sure the queen is quite relieved to have less of a house full of grandchildren, jumping on her furniture and pulling the corgis around.

Anniebach Thu 14-Nov-19 18:21:51

Thinking on it, I admit I am thankful we will not have the press frantically clicking in the hope of catching a second of
Harry looking glum or Kate not smiling at Megan.

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 18:23:35

And let’s hear for Meghan yet again.

nanaK54 Thu 14-Nov-19 19:13:18

Fennel I couldn't agree more
Doubt that 'her maj' gives a 'flying flamingo' grin

merlotgran Thu 14-Nov-19 19:25:07

Doubt that 'her maj' gives a 'flying flamingo'

Maybe not but it had better stay out of Philip's way on Boxing Day. His eyesight's not what it was! grin

Jomarie Thu 14-Nov-19 19:26:53

I do agree wholeheartedly with you and Fennel- nanaK54

eazybee Thu 14-Nov-19 19:40:53

The sooner this ungracious couple locate to the United States and start earning their own living the better.
She can follow Emma Thompson round the world to tell people not to use aeroplane fuel , and he can tell the U.S.A. how to run their army, and see how well that goes down.

nanaK54 Thu 14-Nov-19 19:48:06

merlotgran grin

ayse Thu 14-Nov-19 19:51:20

Easybee, I do so agree

MawB Thu 14-Nov-19 19:53:56

As M0nica says

. Each generation doing it differently. It is no different in the Royal family to any other family. Just read GN for threads of outrage from grandparents because a child has chosen to come round an hour later than usual on Christmas day, or to spend the day with in-laws

Which was my point too.

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 20:48:43

EllanVannin I do know of one Grandad who died on Christmas Day, visiting his family.
As his DIL said, at least he had enjoyed his dinner first.

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 20:49:49

I don't think there are any corgis around now, MissA
sad

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 20:51:23

If the queen posted anonymously on here, bemoaning the fact that the family have been to hers for Christmas for the last 30 years, but now one wants to go to her mum (who is on her own) she would get a good telling off!

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 20:53:37

Oh, no corgis?

I read somewhere that buck house often had little piles of dog poo round and about.

Can just imagine Phillip getting out of bed and stepping in it.

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 21:02:10

I think the last one went to the Great Kennels in the Sky a while ago and it was decided not to have any more.
Just as well, they are a tripping hazard.

Esther1 Thu 14-Nov-19 21:07:30

I’m afraid I differ from most opinions. Harry and Meghan enjoy huge privileges as part of the Royal Family and it would have been kind and respectful to spend Christmas Day with the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh - taking into account their advancing years. Thanksgiving could be spent with Meghan’s mother, as well as plenty of other days. Being part of the Royal Family comes with duty.

Luckygirl Thu 14-Nov-19 21:07:34

Mountains out of molehills I think. I wonder where the OP read all this - I think I can guess!

I am not in the slightest bit sad that I will not see photos of the royals all together at Christmas - why would I be?

NanKate Thu 14-Nov-19 21:46:12

I should think the Queen and the Duke of E are heartily relieved they are not having MM to stay at Xmas. I suspect she is part of the Me Me Me generation (not ALL just some females). I may be wrong but she has diminished in my eyes since the wedding. She doesn’t have much time for me either ?

merlotgran Thu 14-Nov-19 22:31:45

I don't care where they spend Christmas but I do care about the PR disasters they don't seem to care about.

Family fall-outs happen all the time but H&M know theirs is being played out on a world stage. They've encouraged it!

Meghan is used to family estrangement but Harry isn't. Remember his comment about the royal family being the family Meghan has never had??

It's all going from bad to worse.

crystaltipps Thu 14-Nov-19 22:47:14

Harry not used to family estrangement? Really? Weren’t his parents divorced? And aunt and uncle?

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 22:48:50

And uncle and aunt - 75% divorce rate amongst Q’s children -did well didn’t she?

Anniebach Thu 14-Nov-19 22:49:09

She wants to be centre of attention, the walk alone down the aisle’ , with the Windsors she can’t be