Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm horrified - Prince Andrew and racist language

(32 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Mon 18-Nov-19 16:15:54

Not horrified at him - but at myself.

Ok, so it's the Daily Wail, but that aside . . .
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7697571/Ex-No-10-advisor-claims-Prince-Andrew-used-n-woodpile-slur.html

"Prince Andrew was today accused of using the phrase 'n***er in the woodpile' "

I have been using that phrase all my life, but not quite the same. I thought it was, and have had used the phrase as, "knickers in the woodpile".

I thought it meant something that was out of place, and of course, you'd not expect to find knickers in the woodpile.

Why have I never been picked up on this? How many people have I inadvertently offended?

And from reading the meaning of the phrase, which is next to the article in the link, I've not even been using the phrase correctly!

Won't be saying it again.

Has anyone else had a similar unwitting faux pas? Please make me feel a little better!

EllanVannin Sat 30-Nov-19 12:18:50

Remember the colour of the old shoe polish ?---------brown ?

EllanVannin Sat 30-Nov-19 12:20:40

Nobody would use that term again if " Roots " was to be shown again on TV. What a brilliant series.How cruel we were !!

sunseeker Sat 30-Nov-19 12:50:41

Kalu I asked a West Indian friend the same question. He said it depends on what the intention is. He said if I used the n word he would not be offended because he would know I intended no insult, but if a stranger walking along the street shouted it to him then that would be offensive.

On one occasion by husband was talking to him and said he was tired because he had been working hard - our friend replied "you mean you have been working like a n*****"

Kalu Sat 30-Nov-19 13:33:20

That’s interesting sunseeker. Between friends is acceptable.

As we have now become aware though, how offensive the word is, I don’t think I would be comfortable saying it at all now.

JenniferEccles Sat 30-Nov-19 14:16:28

Oh yes I remember that nursery rhyme.....
If he hollers let him go. Eeny meany miney mo!

I wonder how long that rhyme has been around? Where did it come from originally? Who thought it was a nice rhyme for children ?

I remember saying it as a small child but I probably didn’t know what n.....r meant.

Again there would have been no malice whatsoever but I am sure I wouldn’t have known the word referred to blacks.

sunseeker Sat 30-Nov-19 14:29:54

Kalu Despite my friends reassurances that he would not be offended, I never used the word.