Gransnet forums

Chat

What were you not allowed to do as a child because it 'wasn't nice'?

(245 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 22:20:54

I've just been looking at a Monty Python sketch, and it reminded me that I was not allowed to watch it when I was young because my mum thought it wasn't nice.

(My dad loved it!)

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 23:18:22

So was I, gilly grin

BlueBelle Tue 19-Nov-19 23:31:48

I wasn’t allowed a fringe ( because Nan didn’t like the) always wanted one
I wasn’t allowed to go swimming or wash my hair when I had a period
I wasn’t a,lowed to do games without my cardi on (don’t ask) if I had any signs of a cold
I was a slight rebel as a teen and went out and about sometimes with cover ups I remember going to an all night beach party haven’t a clue how I did it as I would never been allowed and sleep overs weren’t invented then as far as I remember

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 23:34:13

I wasn't allowed not to wear a full petticoat, and I wasn't allowed to have my hair down.
It was always tied up, in case I got nits.
Nits are not nice.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Nov-19 23:34:13

Oh yes I remember the radiator would cause piles
An I wasn’t never to let my Dad see a monthly pad clean or not ???

cornergran Tue 19-Nov-19 23:39:19

I wasn’t allowed long hair - no idea why
Or play in the street
Or argue
Or have a friend sleepover. (Not that it would have been called that)

Overall I wasn’t unhappy and certainly didn’t feel deprived, I still wish I’d been allowed to grow my hair though.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 23:40:53

We weren't allowed to argue or fight.
We used to scream silently if we got really hurt whilst secretly fighting. grin

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 23:41:27

The only thing I can remember is my mother liking our clothes to be modest. It wasn't that she ever said so or used those words, but I can remember having my first party dress made when we lived in Kuala Lumpur and my mother made the tailor make the v neckline very high. and the shoulders wide. As soon as I left school and had my own money I got someone to remodel the neck with a deep curving neckline and narrow shoulders.

Chewbacca Tue 19-Nov-19 23:43:57

Radiators cause piles? How odd. In our house they were caused by sitting on a cold doorstep. Apparently.
Sitting too close to the television would "strain our eyes and give us a squint".
Sitting too close to the fire would give you mottled marks on your legs and that was evidence of the blood in your veins "setting". AND THEY WOULD NEVER GO AWAY!

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 23:44:21

I had to have a fringe; I wasn't allowed hair that might look less than "done" it looks like I've been pulled through a hedge backwards these days

Elrel Tue 19-Nov-19 23:50:53

Not allowed plaits, no idea why.
Not allowed a fringe as it was ‘common’?!
By 15, after a school exchange to Paris, I had a ponytail and a fringe.
Have a bicycle, I had had a tricycle, then a scooter, and assumed that a two wheeler was the next step. My mother, who had cycled to the milk train to get to school in Shropshire, just wasn’t having it. I learnt on a borrowed bicycle on holiday but the answer was still no!

grannyactivist Wed 20-Nov-19 03:10:57

Women don't whistle, apparently, so whilst my brothers could whistle a merry tune I was barred. hmm

When I got married and suggested that I'd like to have my ears pierced my (first) husband refused me permission (!!) and told me that was something only gypsies and prostitutes did. Ironically his mum had her ears pierced just before we were divorced. grin

Framilode Wed 20-Nov-19 06:11:18

I wasn't allowed in Woolworths or a local coffee bar. Neither was I allowed to grow my hair. My mother would secretly ring the hairdresser and tell her to cut it short no matter what I said.

Scentia Wed 20-Nov-19 06:29:39

As a small child I don’t remember but I do remember being told by my dad when I got to 18 NEVER accept a brandy and babycham from a man as he was only after one thing. I wasn’t allowed to wear heels so used to swap my shoes when I got out, did my parents really think I was going out in a sparkly dress and hob nail boots??

downtoearth Wed 20-Nov-19 06:34:38

I wasnt allowed to get my toys out
..too messy
Out with out my brother 5 years younger..
To have friends in...
To have friends out,especially Sylvia from up the road,who made the worst mistake ever,she got in when the mums where talking at each other....and got all the toys ougrin
I liked Sylvia,she was my sort of girl,we got into lots of mischief togethergrin

NannyJan53 Wed 20-Nov-19 06:47:18

downtoearth why have toys if you can't get them out? grin

I cannot recall anything 'not being allowed' .

Calendargirl Wed 20-Nov-19 07:00:53

Eating in the street-common.
Sitting on cold doorstop-you would get piles.

Sara65 Wed 20-Nov-19 07:02:34

Oh gillybob, the Not Showing off, just jumped out at me, I was constantly told to stop showing off.

I too was one of the kids from the council estate, but there seemed to be a whole class system within the estate. Some children were alright to play with, some weren’t too bad, but we weren’t allowed to go in their houses, and some had to be avoided like the plague!

I wasn’t allowed to talk about periods.
I wasn’t allowed white knee socks, always a nice shade of faun (not sure about the spelling)
Only allowed to watch the BBC, putting me at a distinct disadvantage at school when favourite programmes were discussed.
I never owned a pair of trousers till I bought some with money from my Saturday job.
Never allowed to do anything like ballet or brownies, because I’d never stick to it, how could they have known?
Those were the days weren’t they?

MissAdventure Wed 20-Nov-19 07:09:25

I wasn't allowed to dip biscuits in my tea, nor wear knickers to bed.

Also, showing off was nipped in the bud, should I ever consider it.

downtoearth Wed 20-Nov-19 07:10:49

Nannyjan,also had games bought for us that had to stay in the box,put me off board games for lifegrin
Not allowed to say it was my birthday.."its asking for presents"

MissAdventure Wed 20-Nov-19 07:13:04

My mum was very like that.
I was never allowed to put up a poster, and it was a crime to leave a doll undressed!

Beechnut Wed 20-Nov-19 07:18:53

Yep, no posters on wall.
No white socks. I begged for ages for a pair.
Not allowed to grow my hair long as it would pull the curl out !

downtoearth Wed 20-Nov-19 07:19:10

A definite crime was to set foot in The Front Room,only used for christmas and Easter,woe betide any one found disobeying.
And friends knocking on door got short shrift,especially if they knocked more than once.,grin.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Nov-19 07:21:23

We had to call my mums friends "aunty" or "uncle", even if they told us not to.

BBbevan Wed 20-Nov-19 07:23:14

Sniff ( had to have a hanky)
Say bum ( always bottom )
Chew gum
Eat anywhere other than at a table.
Eat Polos ( bad for your teeth )
Scoop up your peas. ( back of fork only )
Talk with your mouth full.

The list is endless.

ninathenana Wed 20-Nov-19 07:26:44

I wasn't allowed to have my ears pierced "Until you can pay for them yourself" which I did with my first fulltime wage packet.
Other than that I had a lot of freedom.