Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(71 Posts)
12Michael Thu 21-Nov-19 06:13:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but it looks dry for a start this morning.
Yesterday, I did manage to buy Lenny Henrys new autobiography call " Who am I , again" it is a signed copy as well, so for £20 well worth it.
Today , bus trips out to Bicester via Buckingham and reverse journey , my usual café stops in Bicester around 12,and then getting back to Buckingham at about 2`ish for another coffee , I then sit out waiting for the bus back home just before 4.
Mick

conor Thu 21-Nov-19 08:40:37

Love your shopping escapades Marydoll and your eye for a bargain!! Xxx

Grammaretto Thu 21-Nov-19 08:46:53

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. I saw a patch of blue in the sky. Such an indulgent day yesterday I will have to knuckle down today. Making plans for my in-laws 75th wedding anniversary in December and an invasion of family.

My idea of hell is city centre shopping pre Christmas, Marydoll but perhaps I can send you with a list? grin
I am much happier with Gilly's updates.
Fingers crossed, prayers offered, love sent sunshine

moggie Thu 21-Nov-19 08:47:10

Good morning Mick & all from dry, grey Nottingham. Shops this morning & catch up on chores. Take sister & her DS to train station to begin their journey to New Zealand, they will arrive early afternoon on Saturday.
What a bargain Marydoll
That’s a lot of birthdays loopylou I just have 1, my DS’s.
Thoughts are with Gillybob & her DH for more progress today.
Hope all not well, struggling or in recovering phase have a better day.
Have a good day everyone.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Nov-19 08:47:16

Hi conor
?
Seen your posts recently - where are you in the U.K.?

Anniebach Thu 21-Nov-19 08:50:59

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

aggie Thu 21-Nov-19 08:59:46

Good Morning all , another dark and damp day , soon be the Solstice and brighter
No plans today so will get on with my crochet , I am doing blankets for the Grandchildren and so far they have been greeted with pleasure
Marydoll I have given up trying on shoes ! I have ancient boots that eldest keeps trying to sneak to the bin ?
Love and prayers for Gillybobs and all poorly and worried xxx

vena11 Thu 21-Nov-19 09:01:13

Good morning all from a dry cold dull Bristol.
I hope everyone is managing to keep warm.
Just a bit of house work this morning for me and then I am going to start my Christmas shopping, DH is coming with me to carry the bags. He just loves shopping if it was up to him no one would get a Christmas card and only presents he would buy are envelopes to put some money in. His saying it should only be for children (Bah Humbug).
Hoping gillybob hubby is still making progress and everyone will ills have a better day.

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Nov-19 09:11:46

Boiler re-set and flat a pleasantly warm 16c.
There are times when a man who knows, is indispensible. Hurrah ?

Mapleleaf Thu 21-Nov-19 09:14:31

Good morning all from a grey, dull South Yorkshire.
There's been a frost through the night as there are still remnants on the roofs. (Rooves?)
Going out for coffee with a friend and out this evening to the WI. In between times, I've some ironing to do.
Welcome to Conor and TheReadingRoom - I hope you soon feel stronger after your hip replacement.
Keep warm, everyone. Those with broken boilers, I do hope they are fixed today.
Hoping that there continues to be good news from gilly and send her my good wishes and prayers.

Marydoll Thu 21-Nov-19 09:19:30

Gabriella, 16 C !!!! ? Our home varies from 22C to 24C, I would have hypothermia in your flat. grin

gillybob Thu 21-Nov-19 09:44:54

Good morning from the NE coast.

I have been awake most of the night with terrible heartburn (probably as a result of eating rubbish far too late at night) so running a bit late today. I normally press the buzzer at 10am on the dot, looks like it will be nearer 10.30 today.

Not much change yesterday again. DH is in this kind of twilight world of a little bit awake . Moaning a lot through the speech valves but they assure me he is not in pain as they can detect changes through the heart rate, BP and temperature all of which are monitored constantly through the arterial lines etc .

They are still deliberating over another extubation which will need several experts agreement. If it is not done today then it will be next week as they will not do it on a Friday as they have a very reduced level of doctors available at the weekend.

I am very worried now about the time he has been heavily sedated which I have read makes all the difference between a full mental recovery and not . It’s okay to say we have fixed him physically but at what price?

Anyway I was listening to the nurses chatting about Christmas yesterday . Organising shift patterns. It all seemed very fair with no one doing a whole day and there were more volunteers for night shift than they needed due to the rather attractive financial incentives....they ended up putting names in a hat....guess who pulled the names out ? grin

I found myself laughing (out loud) at their antics which caught me off guard and I later hated myself for.

How can life go on as normal ? My heart goes out to 2 young men in the unit on either side of my DH . One 39 and the other 37. One with a young family too. How can life be so bloody cruel for some and yet so wonderful for others? I don’t get it?

Anyway enough of my ramblings.

I hope Thursday is a good day for everyone. Marydoll I envied your shopping trip, seems a million miles away . Glad you bagged some good bargains. smile .

To those who are feeling poorly, sad or afraid I wish you sunshine
And to those enjoying happy times and holidays, long may they continue.

Love Gillybob xx

PS another huge thank you for keeping DH in your thoughts and prayers xx

gillybob Thu 21-Nov-19 09:49:53

I was thinking the same Gabriella. 16 degrees seems positively Baltic ! Brrrrrrrrr ?

Curlywhirly Thu 21-Nov-19 09:50:02

Good morning from a cold grey Cheshire. Had to hotfoot it around to my son's this morning after he phoned to remind me I neeeded to be at his house for 8.00am to wait for the man who was coming to install a new smart meter - I had forgotten all about it! So it should be a relaxing morning for me, but no doubt I will get bored, and end up cleaning and dusting for him! He's invited me around for dinner this evening (he loves cooking) by way of a thankyou; as his dad is away this evening, I would have been eating alone (was just going to get something out of the freezer) but now am looking forward to being waited on for a change!

Rufus2 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:10:15

It's 4°C/39°F (For the benefit of Rufus) and very damp
Marydoll; Thanks for your weather update! You almost made me feel homesick!
We can beat that; 40C/ 104F (that's for your benefit! smile)' today with a strong blast-furnace- type wind, before a "cool" change this evening dropped the temp. to 20C in half -an-hour!; minimum of 25C last night; fortunately no bushfires near Melbourne, but the rest of the country seems to be on fire after years of severe drought and we have yet to reach summer. sad

Susan56 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:29:51

Good morning from Shropshire.Late posting this morning as a health condition which I usually manage and control successfully reared it’s ugly head big time so have been at the gp’s for the last hour?he is going to give the problem some thought and call me later.Thank goodness for the NHS and thank goodness for our lovely gp.
We have the school run later and then we are hoping to go to the Christmas lights switch on but will see how I am feeling.DGD is really looking forward to it although last year we didn’t stay long as she was scared of Santa.
Ginny,my mum had a home physio arranged by the gp so could be worth a try.
Marydoll,my husband is very like yours where shopping is concerned but on hearing of your husbands bargain has decided a trip to TKMaxx is on the cards next week when we visit our daughter in Stafford.
Things seem to be improving for your dear husband gilly and I hope and pray these improvements continue.You are doing so well and don’t feel guilty about laughing.Sending you love and strength?
Sending good wishes to all unwell,having treatment or with other worries.

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:42:59

16c is fine for me as I don't like over-warm rooms and Marydoll 's 22-24c would have me in A&E.
I can stand very very hot water and drinks and icy weather conditions wearing just a jumper or even a shirt, as I did one evening last week when on a bus journey to a quiz night.
I was asked where my coat was but I was fine in an ordinary white cotton shirt and khaki chinos.
I've always had self insulating properties, both mental and physical. winkgrin

Urmstongran Thu 21-Nov-19 11:03:49

I’m the complete opposite to you then Gabriella I need several layers and/or a cosy room!

That said, I might have cold hands but I do like to think I’ve a warm heart!
??❤️

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Nov-19 11:07:07

Indeed you do Urmstongran indeed you do and a very comforting warm personality.

mcem Thu 21-Nov-19 11:07:52

Another one who is comfortable with ambient temperature of 16° to 18° but always bump it up when the GC are around!
Visiting friends the other night, I found their home uncomfortably warm while they both wore short-sleeves cotton shirts.
Pointing out that they were wasting vast amounts,of energy would not have been appropriate but I was tempted!

Curlywhirly Thu 21-Nov-19 11:30:25

Gillybob, our posts crossed, so pleased to hear that Mr Gillybob is holding his own and there have not been any new setbacks. Here's hoping he carries on getting better, even though it is little by little. And as for laughing - no need to feel guilty, anything that lightens your load can only be a good thing. Take care. x

Marydoll Thu 21-Nov-19 11:40:19

Gabriella, a constant 16 degrees would have me in A&E!
When I come down early in the morning, the temp is usually about 16 degrees and it hurts my chest!

People with respiratory conditions and heart disease are advised to have an ambient temperature of at least 21 degrees.
I feel the cold dreadfully and would love to be able to wear light clothing.
I'm the woman you see in summer , wearing a fur coat. wink grin

EllanVannin Thu 21-Nov-19 11:59:39

A steady 21 is my comfort zone. It's like a heatwave to me after putting up with no central heating and a temperature of 15 and below through a cold winter, with just a very expensive electric fire in one room.
How I ever managed in a cold bathroom I'll never know now, but I must have been a tough old bird. I don't miss that !

Just a PS from this morning.My INR was acceptable at 2.3 which I'm glad about seeing as the dosage is still reduced, then the nurse decided to vaccinate me against shingles so I can feel the arm getting slightly sore----and hot.
I don't need a repeat of the pneumonia jab as it was a one-off in 2006. Only for those with lung and breathing problems. So thank goodness for that !

Gillybob, there was a local man who'd served in one of the forces and who'd suffered a severe head injury a few years ago. He was in a coma for three months and came through it all.

Susan56 hope all will be well with you.

Grammaretto Thu 21-Nov-19 12:01:45

I'm glad that you were able to laugh Gilly it will be a tonic.
We are all willing him to pull through and for you to keep strong. xxxx

NanKate Thu 21-Nov-19 12:03:46

Hi Marydoll. Thanks for the screenshots will try them out when I am back home. Still on GP duties.

We told the boys last night that they had restricted time on the IPads and then we would all play a game. They decided I had to play ghost granny and chase them round the darkened house with G’dad videoing it. I have to say I found it all rather scary and was lucky not to fall down the darkened stairs! The boys were squealing with delight.

However the youngest aged 6 woke us at midnight as he was having a nightmare. Why am I not surprised. I’m not sure our DS would approve of our antics.

conor Thu 21-Nov-19 12:10:51

Hello everyone!! Have been reading this lovely thread for ages but never posted until Gillybobs started her hospital blog and of course was so moved by everything she is going through so forgot to introduce myself!!
I live in S. Essex and am a retired teacher but still go into school voluntary 3 times a week! Just for the gossip really but do help out, I think!!
I have two lovely DGS age 3 & 7 and another? on the way next Feb. I look after them twice a week with the occasional sleepover as they only live 5 minutes away.
My DH died over 15 years ago but my house is always busy so never feel lonely. So hopefully that's enough about me and I may post again now you know me!! Xxxxsmile