Gransnet forums

Chat

Early morning thoughts........A lighthearted thread!!

(69 Posts)
DanniRae Sun 24-Nov-19 09:15:26

After thinking about what I have planned for the day I then think about what to wear, what to have for dinner and does my hair need washing (I hate washing my hair!!)
I'm interested to know what are other Gransnetters first thoughts?

Auntieflo Sun 24-Nov-19 15:37:10

I am another who wakes and wonders what day it is. If it's Sunday, I take my weekly tablet, and go and make the tea. Usually DH is the early morning tea maker, and always has been.
Then I have to go and have a wee, and wonder, did I get up in the night, or did I make it through?
Then when I stand up, I wonder whether my knee is going to hold or give way.
I don't wash my hair every day now it is a bit longer, but did when it was short and spiky.
If it is a day that DH brings up the tea, I spend too long on my IPad.

BBbevan Sun 24-Nov-19 16:20:32

I am usually the first to wake. Could be an hour or so before DH stirs. I get out the kindle, do my daily challenge of Spider and Solitaire. If he is still not awake I will browse GN. When he wakes up he goes to make a cup of tea, and puts our small television on. We had it from our children for our 25th anniversary so it is very nearly 30 years old. Tea brought we watch the news and decide what to do with the day. This is very dependant on the weather, as we have a large garden and a house that needs attention. Then we get up.

CBBL Sun 24-Nov-19 16:25:57

Weather today? Do we have any appointments i.e. Doctor/Hospital/Shopping? Then, when I have decided about how cold or not - what to wear i.e. suitable for going out or not? The say hello to the cats (Jack & Bella) By this time, Hubby is making a cuppa. Decide what to have for breakfast.

TerriBull Sun 24-Nov-19 17:01:55

I think about whether I should go and make the coffee, down two flights to the kitchen, so I lie in bed pondering on that a while sometimes hoping my husband will say "shall I make the coffee?" it's usually 50/50. Once the coffee is beside us, I then have to decide "read another couple of chapters or get on the internet/watch the news" I too think about is it going to be a hair washing day, hence 30 minutes more faffing than a non hair washing day. What to wear, if it's a gym day, t shirt and leggings, if not jeans and a shirt Have a shower. Breakfast is easy, put it off as long as possible, keep having coffees until late morning followed by a bowl of porridge. Then I have to work out what we will be eating for an evening meal and whether I have to shop for ingredients.

2mason16 Sun 24-Nov-19 17:23:49

Cup of tea first in bed. Now shall I switch phone on - grand-daughter in Oz likes a chat (her 6pm) Think I need a coffee too - we're chatterboxes!!

Saggi Sun 24-Nov-19 18:24:47

I always wake around 5.30 and my first thought is TEA!! Then I take pills...toast .... and another cuppa tea. Out the door by 6.45...as I walk three miles to daughters house to see to the kids while she goes to work. When grandkids go to school I can think what I’m to do for next few hours, and that needs more TEA!

Barmeyoldbat Sun 24-Nov-19 19:14:52

I tend to walk up late unless we are doing something early and I have set the alarm. My first thought is any pain today. if pain grab a couple of my tablets and then move everything slowly. Get up, look out the window and then a wee followed by a really hot shower and most days a hair wash. Go downstairs and ask Mr B what his plans are for the day and tell him mine. By the time I have done all this and had a coffee it can be 11 or 11.30. Unless like today I was up early to go cycling. N pain.

TyneAngel Sun 24-Nov-19 19:57:06

First thought - what am I going to cook for supper (I look forward to it all day); second - is my sense of humour switched on? If not, don't get up; third - ask myself if I'd like a cup of tea - DH always brought me one first thing, now I make it myself and take it back to bed.

Granless Sun 24-Nov-19 21:09:37

On waking my initial thought is : what day is it, what did I do yesterday.,; what am I doing today. Then I get up and feed the birds - the blackbirds are awaiting me!

Nanna58 Sun 24-Nov-19 22:08:39

I think I must be a bit like you Barmeyoldbat , I have immune system arthritis and different bits of me won’t move on different days, a kind of stiff lottery - so I think first thing “ which bit has gone wonky overnight?” Always a surprise!! ?

TwinLolly Mon 25-Nov-19 04:32:57

Lovely question to ask and interesting replies.

I'm in Napier today with the cruise ship. It was a late arrival so I had hoped to sleep in.

Nope!

People in the gym having been doing a bit of weight lifting and keep dropping the weights on the floor.

Guess whose cabin is right underneath...hmm It started as soon as the gym opened at 6am.... angry (And this happens every day....shock)

I can't complain because i'm in an officer's cabin next to the Bridge (hubby works on the ship), right underneath the gym area and the gym is for guests. Ho hum....thlconfused

TwiceAsNice Mon 25-Nov-19 06:16:11

I always go for a wee first. Sometimes have already got up in the night. Then our out food and water for the cat and scoop her litter tray if necessary. Then a cup of tea which I take back to bed ( in a flat so all on one level) Then think what I need to do . Monday’s and Tuesdays work so out early but other days flexible starts so get up between 8-30 and 9-30 to suit myself and according to plans. Always shower and hair wash , hair is very short so comb and it dries itself .

BradfordLass72 Mon 25-Nov-19 08:26:00

TwinLolly Hope you got the chance to see the lovely Art Deco buildings.

My thoughts differ according to what's happening in my life but always I begin the day by drinking at least 300ml of water and listening to the birds getting up one by one.
I fill the 750ml water bottle on the way to bed each evening, drink some during the night and finish it every morning.

Not long after that, I go for a wee smile but back to bed to think.

I never, ever check the weather, or even care about it unless we're in the middle of winter when I reach out from under the cosy duvet and switch on the heater prior to getting up!

I lie a long time thinking usually, planning the day. If it's a day when I am going out, I make a mental list: Library (what books are due back?), vegie shop (do I need spuds?), post office (last day for posting to UK?), $2 shop (wrapping paper and one of those bungy things).

If not, it's household tasks: making shortbread; laundry, getting stuff out of the freezer for lunch and/or tea.
What do I need to order online and when? I sometimes make notes in a book I keep in the bedside cabinet because I have a memory like a colander.

Far too often I lie worrying about things which have upset me and about which I can (usually) do nothing.

If I'm going out, I'll have a shower and wash my hair. If not, and no one is due to come here, I'll make do with a good all-over wash and leave the shower and hair for the next day smile lazy beggar.

Then up about 6 or before sometimes depending on how I feel. A decaf coffee or Rooibos tea, switch on my PC whilst the jug is boiling and check the emails as I drink the beverage. Thus starteth my days.

Evie64 Mon 25-Nov-19 19:13:34

My first thought is always the same. "Is it Saturday? Can I roll over and go back to sleep or do I have to get up, shower, dress, make up etc and go to work?" Oh and "did I remember to make my packed lunch last night?".

TwinLolly Mon 25-Nov-19 20:21:17

BradfordLass72 Yes, I did see the art deco buildings. And the old wooden 'Six Sisters' are still there. Beautiful! Usually there are vintage cars on the pier and a band but not today. The vintage cars were on display, though, in town.

Saw a funny advert on the wall of a porta toilet: Wee Doo Loo rentals! grin

As usual, today, I was woken up by gym weights being dropped from a dizzy height... lay in bed and contemplated what is going to happen today. Hubby had already gone to the bridge.

I've got a tour, going out to a farm 'Shenadoah' thanks at midday so I will see if shore excursions want help with dispatch as soon as the ship arrives in port; and then go on my tour as and when it gets called.

I must remember to take some anthistamines. Pollen count is high in NZ at the moment and my poor eyes start to look as if I've had too much booze!blush

BBbevan Tue 26-Nov-19 06:10:31

Dark here. Raining, windy and the sea is roaring. More leaves on the lawn. They should all come down in this weather. But fine dry days to clear them are not easy to come by.
DH will be awake soon, so a nice cuppa to enjoy.

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 07:37:20

This morning woke to the sound of wind winding through the trees round the house so my first thought was'Gosh, it's windy today,' followed by, 'It is still very dark', it was 7.00am.

I then got dressed and came downstairs thinking 'Hot drink, hot drink, hot drink'. Now with my hot drink beside me I am at my computer checking news and views. When I wake sufficiently, I will have breakfast and finish dressing before deciding what to do today.

BradfordLass72 Tue 26-Nov-19 08:40:28

Lay a long time thinking about someone who posted on GN and wondering-hoping things would resolve for them.
Sent positive vibes.

Planned my day for when my homecare lady should arrive at 2pm.
She's been away such a lot due to multiple accidents and the 'stand-in' really isn't up to the task, so I was looking forward to seeing my old friend back. She's been with me many years.