Gransnet forums

Chat

Fav perfumes past or present

(72 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 24-Nov-19 17:55:44

I used to love Jovian musk oil as a teenager but my favs at the moment are black opium YSL Sensual by Estée Lauder
.Midnight Rose by Lancôme

lemongrove Sun 24-Nov-19 20:31:32

Another vote here for Guerlain’s Shalimar and Chanel No 5
My two fave perfumes.

petra Sun 24-Nov-19 20:31:43

Either No 5 or Van Cleef & Arpels Santa Blanc.

Soupy Sun 24-Nov-19 20:35:54

Rive Gauche was my go to perfume but used to wear Tweed or Blue Grass - much too sickly now!
Currently wearing Marc Jacob's Daisy

Sara65 Sun 24-Nov-19 20:40:28

Calendargirl

When I was in hospital having my eldest daughter in 1974, one of the girls in our ward called her baby Khadine after the perfume!

Greyduster Sun 24-Nov-19 21:00:15

Back in the day, L’Aimant; Tweed; Je Revien. Later, L’Air Du
Temps and Samsara. Now, Jo Malone Vetiver, and Jo Loves Green Orange and Coriander (which I really like, but as others have said, it doesn’t have much staying power).

Chewbacca Sun 24-Nov-19 21:03:25

L'air Du Temps was a beautiful fragrance. Think you can still get it. I've just remembered Gingham, in a brown and white checked bottle. Like that too.

Roses Sun 24-Nov-19 21:12:41

Have worn many perfumes over the years the very best was called Maroc it was made by Ulltima 2 I don't think I ever wore it without someone telling me how lovely it was.it was discontinued and I tried to buy it all over the place I did get some in Florida but then gone for ever. Years after I saw it online and bought it but it was fake I was gutted

Scentia Sun 24-Nov-19 21:24:19

When I was a teenager we all loved a perfume called ‘Babe’. I remember my bottle smashed in my school bag when I was running away from teachers and I threw my bag over a wall before I scaled said wall. My books stank for the rest of the year, and I got caught skiving so all in all a bad morning??

JessK Sun 24-Nov-19 21:33:42

Anyone here remember Topaz and Wind Song?
My favourite now is Miss Dior or Rive Gauche

blondenana Sun 24-Nov-19 21:41:36

I still like anais anais,
lou lou
Obsession
Opium
Ysatis
My favourite at the moment is Alien

Calendargirl Sun 24-Nov-19 21:46:50

Sara65

I liked the perfume, but not enough to name my daughter after it!

BlueSapphire Sun 24-Nov-19 22:13:48

Aquamanda and Revlon Intimate when I was younger.
Now, almost anything Chanel. I love the new Gabrielle, but have most of the others - No 5, Chance, Coco Noir etc.

Framilode Sun 24-Nov-19 22:14:28

Guerlain L'heure Bleu

callgirl1 Sun 24-Nov-19 22:21:05

Back in the 70s I loved Flambeau by Faberge, but it `s been unavailable for many years now. Then in 1994 I fell in love with a new perfume by Rochas, called Tocade, still around online but not in shops in this country, but only in EDC form, not the full strength perfume.

Juliet27 Sun 24-Nov-19 22:24:53

Anyone remember Hartnell's In Love? Kiku was always in yellow containers if I remember right.
Mystere by Rochas

Juliet27 Sun 24-Nov-19 22:27:08

Scentia you rebel !

Tartlet Sun 24-Nov-19 22:35:25

I still use L’Air du Temps which I think is lovely and also inexpensive because it’s rather out of fashion.

I have lots of other scents which I like but wear only rarely because they are heavier and it’s so easy to overdo it so they’re probably not worth mentioning.

michelleblane Sun 24-Nov-19 22:48:45

My teenage perfume was Aqua Manda but I moved on to Masumi by Coty. It was gorgeous and orangy. Now I use Estee Lauder Modern Muse, and Chanel No 5

Nico97 Sun 24-Nov-19 22:58:02

As a teen my favourite was Cachet. Kiki and Xanadu were from the same stable, one being in a yellow ball and the other in a purple ball. My all time favourite now is J'Adore L'or by Dior - it is beaut.

Nannytopsy Sun 24-Nov-19 23:06:44

Aqua Manda
Femme by Rochas but I now find too sweet
Caleche by Hermes
Coco Mademoiselle
Current love Twilly by Hermes.
( Hated Rive Gauche!)

MawB Sun 24-Nov-19 23:21:38

I had my first bottle of Calèche when I went into hospital to have my first baby 46 years ago. He only lived for three weeks but it has remained my favourite perfume of all time and while it would be exaggerating to say it reminds me of him, it does remind me of how happy I was for his first week.
Still the best!

MawB Sun 24-Nov-19 23:23:52

Mum always wore Tweed and my German granny (Oma) wore 4711. That being as daring as she was prepared to be!

Nortsat46 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:14:44

My partner bought me a bottle of Chanel no 19, when I was about 20. He was working hard and saving to buy a Les Paul guitar, so receiving Chanel perfume was a complete surprise.
It seemed impossibly glamorous.

I have worn it ever since, despite the fact that there have been occasions when buying it was a struggle and a bottle had to last a loooong time.

My mother also wore Tweed and my grandmother wore something by Elizabeth Arden (possibly Blue Grass).

oldgimmer1 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:15:34

Started off with Ambergris, Patchouli and Musk.

Then graduated to Tramp, Aqua Manda and Babe. Then Rive Gauche.

Then onto Chanels 5 and Coco, Youth Dew, Eternity, Obsession.

Now? I can't find one strong enough. I've tried Boudoir, Tom Ford, Opium etc but they're not quite hitting the spot.

I'm using Goldigga at the moment. £5!.

Chanel 5 is still my favourite.

For my auntie, it was always Blue Grass and Tweed; for my mother Je Reviens and L'Aimant. I thought JR smelled of cats'pee.

BradfordLass72 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:40:44

For a long time, 25 years maybe, my sons bought me 'Charlie' (blue); it's still sold here so I have a bottle in a cool drawer as an everyday, light perfume.

Then, I asked a friend the name of the fragrance she was wearing and she said, 'Gucci "Rush"'. And generously bought me some for my birthday a month later.

From then on, my son or daughter in law has bought it for Christmas or birthday and I still love it.

I also like 'Anais Anais'.
And there's a new one out called 'O Linda' which is quite flowery. I don't like anything musky.

Mum used to wear 'Rive Gauche' and 'Emeraud'

Reading about Chanel No.5 - I bought myself a bottle of that en route from New Zealand to the UK. Lovely.

I was a teenaged Avon Lady (sounds like a confession! grin) and Topaz was my favourite then.