Gransnet forums

Chat

Tipping Tradespeople

(59 Posts)
Blinko Tue 26-Nov-19 10:34:07

I remember my Grandparents used to tip all sorts of tradespeople at this time of year (or in the run up Christmas). People like bin men, postmen, milkmen - except they're now all just as likely to be women. (Our post lady is lovely).

Does anyone tip these people nowadays? What's the norm, I wonder?

shysal Tue 26-Nov-19 16:46:37

I do quite a lot of on line shopping so I always give money to my postman and also make up a hamper of fruit and home made goodies for the whole Post Office staff.
I am in two minds about giving to the chap whom I have recently started to pay to cut my steep lawn for me. He is definitely better off than I am and has a very posh home, so not sure whether a gift would insult him.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Nov-19 16:57:31

This has come up so many times before on here
I never tip anyone and I am far far from mean any of my family and friends would tell you that’s, in my opinion it’s a very old fashioned, unfair procedure Why tip a taxi driver and not a bus driver why tip a hairdresser and not a shoe sales girls, why tip a waitress and not the cook

I have close family members work in the NHS saving lives but they don’t get tips, rarely a thank you and someone puts colour in your hair and you tip them, totally daft
I treat every trades person the same they all earn far more than my pension perhaps they should tip me for keeping them in a job ??

Suki70 Tue 26-Nov-19 17:20:40

A shopkeeper in my small town has started to collect money at Christmas and Easter for the local street cleaner. He's an older man who takes a pride in keeping the streets spotless and whatever the weather always has a smile and cheery word for everyone. Last Christmas enough money was raised for him to buy two reclining chairs for his sitting room. His delight and astonishment when the money was presented to him made his smile even wider.

BlueSapphire Tue 26-Nov-19 19:47:22

I tip my paperboy/girl £10. I remember being very grateful for my Christmas tips when I had a paper round.

sodapop Tue 26-Nov-19 20:57:01

Exactly BlueBelle you took the words out of my mouth.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Nov-19 21:11:14

Thank you sodapop it actually makes me quite cross the unfairness of it all The paramedics work through the night to come and save your life but you don’t tip them, a taxi driver takes you 1 mile up the road to the train station and you’re expected to tip them
It shouldn’t be part of the Twenty first century in my opinion

notanan2 Tue 26-Nov-19 21:17:29

Always tip the postman but not a lot more a token: leave a little pack of christmas biscuits and a thank you for delivering our presents card left hanging on the door on christmas eve.

notanan2 Tue 26-Nov-19 21:21:04

NHS staff arent really allowed to accept tips so that arguement is a bit moot.

And while paramedics are amazing, thankfully they havent needed to visit us often enough to become aquaintances. We see our postman at least weekly!

I have given gifts to doctors and nurses in the past, again just thank you tokens. And when my previous GP moved practices I dropped in a little thank you letter and token.

So now am I allowed to leave a little festive fun out for the postman?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 27-Nov-19 09:57:20

I agree in some respects *Bluebell why tip some and not others?
I suppose it was started to supplement poor wages?
I just think it's a nice gesture at Christmas.

craftyone Wed 27-Nov-19 10:27:08

Hairdresser, a new one when I moved, she charges less than half the other one so I round up with a £2 tip. I started getting a newspaper this week and will tip the boy £5 this year and £10 next year, I too remember when my dd was a papergirl. No-one else

sodapop Wed 27-Nov-19 12:05:23

Why are people so afraid of their hairdressers they feel it necessary to bribe them ?

Sara65 Wed 27-Nov-19 12:10:32

I tip my hairdresser generously every month, so don’t do any more at Christmas.

We don’t have a milkman, I never see the postman, but I do tip my log man, because he stacks all the logs nicely, which he doesn’t have to do.

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 13:06:19

I dont tip my hairdresser but dont have any particular relationship with any one individual. And never ask for anything complex: quick trim

Smileless2012 Wed 27-Nov-19 13:08:43

The only one I actually see it the window cleaner, so I tip him.

Jane10 Wed 27-Nov-19 14:36:31

My Dad, a GP, was inundated with presents from grateful patients at Christmas and throughout the year. These ranged from a gold (yes gold) stethoscope to knitted socks. Kind patients also handed in presents for us children too. As we grew up these changed to engagement presents, wedding presents and baby clothes! He was a very good doctor. When he retired the was an absolute outpouring of gifts.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 27-Nov-19 17:03:59

When I worked in the health service we were not allowed to keep gifts but had to hand them back, other than box of chocs or flowers. Could be embarrassing at times.

sodapop Wed 27-Nov-19 17:08:12

Yes we did too greeneyedgirl

BlueBelle Wed 27-Nov-19 17:28:13

Perhaps the nhs Mental health sections are less deserving than the gps ?? Jane10 they only stop people from committing suicide and spend hours talking them into a different frame of mind

If you don’t like my paramedic example notanan why tip the taxi driver and not the train driver then, is that any better ?
Yes I realise it was started to supplement poor pay but many of the people tipped now are not poorly paid In my mind it’s a very outdated thing and why hairdressers are so special I can’t imagine You might for instance go in a shoe shop and have a not too well paid assistant running up and down steps to get different sizes for you, really looking after you, making sure the fit is right, maybe even checking your size, width etc but no one would dream of saying ‘here dear have £2’ yet you’re hairdresser gives you a trim, and you give her a tip it just makes no sense to me at all

I only have a postman and dustmen come to my house they do nothing more that the bus driver that takes me to town or the chap that mends my cycle
It’s not about generosity or benevolence it’s the unfairness that gets my goat

MawB Wed 27-Nov-19 17:30:51

Of course some people give them sandwiches and crisps or lunch money......??????

ayokunmi1 Wed 27-Nov-19 20:05:21

The dustbin men please God let me catch them.They are coming so early now Yes I definitely will tip them as I do every year such a nice bunch .My hairdresser cos every penny counts for them and they do a good job .

Sara65 Wed 27-Nov-19 20:12:18

My bin men? Not a chance! Every week they leave all the recycling bins in the middle of the drive, and I have to park my car, and go and move them before I can drive in.

annep1 Wed 27-Nov-19 21:15:31

I tip my hairdresser every time and an extra big tip at Christmas. Ditto window cleaners. I tip in a cafe/restaurant when service and food is good. Don't do takeaways.
When I go to hospital for any reason I send a thank you card to the staff. People are quick to complain so we should be quick to thank and praise. Even in shops its always appreciated if you email the manager or head office to praise staff.
I don't tip the bin men. For some reason I feel odd about going out to the street and giving them money.
The recycle men, no. They leave everyones boxes all over the place.

Tangerine Wed 27-Nov-19 21:45:27

I tip the window cleaner and the paper boy.

Jane10 Wed 27-Nov-19 22:31:14

That was uncalled for BlueBelle. Dad was involved at all parts of people's lives. He delivered babies as well as end of life care and all points in between. He also spent ages with patients with depression.
If I ever had a GP like him I'd sure as anything want to give him/her a gift.
There's something about the giving isn't there? It can make people feel good to give something to show appreciation even if it's only a little.
A shop assistant in Boots once really went to a lot of trouble to get me some special skin stuff I wanted. I happily handed in a box of chox for her.

annep1 Wed 27-Nov-19 22:54:04

My hairdresser is very important as I'm sure many women will agree.. She cuts, styles, and blowdries my hair. Before that she gives me a relaxing head massage and hair wash. She knows I don't always feel well and makes sure I am comfortable and always has a smile .
I am happy to show her my appreciation.