Gransnet forums

Chat

Tipping Tradespeople

(58 Posts)
Blinko Tue 26-Nov-19 10:34:07

I remember my Grandparents used to tip all sorts of tradespeople at this time of year (or in the run up Christmas). People like bin men, postmen, milkmen - except they're now all just as likely to be women. (Our post lady is lovely).

Does anyone tip these people nowadays? What's the norm, I wonder?

Oldandverygrey Tue 26-Nov-19 10:37:19

I don't know what the norm is but I tip the window cleaner and the postman.

Calendargirl Tue 26-Nov-19 10:39:46

We don’t have a paperboy, window cleaner, the bin men empty the bins from the roadside, the postman puts the letters through the letter box. No, I don’t tip anyone.

Jane10 Tue 26-Nov-19 10:40:27

I would tip the postman if I ever saw him or her. We give our caretaker a little something as he's so helpful and a real asset to our flats. Everyone here does too to such an extent that he gives us all a gift back!

crazyH Tue 26-Nov-19 10:41:47

I do . Postman gets £5 and dustmen get £20 for their Xmas party

eazybee Tue 26-Nov-19 10:43:31

I tip the postman and the milkman, always have done.

tanith Tue 26-Nov-19 10:48:16

I used to tip the postman of many years but he seems to of disappeared and it’s a different one every day, I won’t be tipping whoever turns up anymore.

Cherrytree59 Tue 26-Nov-19 10:56:51

Generally don't tip as most people are on least a minimum wage, the exception would if it was a young person helping me then I would be happy to give them something.

However I do give xmas biscuits and wine to my ironing man to pass on to the his staff.

I used to get upset when my grandmother, who only had a basic pension would tip all and sundry through out the year.

I am sure they all earned a lot more than she received via her pension. sad

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 11:31:24

I tipped the postman when we had a regular one. But now we get a different postman (or women) daily so I do not bother.

The window cleaner is a team that vary from visit to visit. I do not have a paperboy or milk man and the dustmen collect from the roadside. We live off a short unadopted access road across a bridge over a stream so we have to take our bins to the road and when they have been emptied the dustmen usually leave them in the middle of our road access, so someone of us has to move them to the grass verge for collection by their owners, so I am not inclined to tip the dustmen anyway.

Doodle Tue 26-Nov-19 11:46:16

We tip the postman but not the dustmen or window cleaners. We give a nice box of biscuits or chocs to the cleaners (communal not personal)

sodapop Tue 26-Nov-19 11:57:53

Nobody, they are all doing a job they are paid for.

rockgran Tue 26-Nov-19 12:14:36

We still the tip the postlady as she is very helpful and the binmen if they have gone above and beyond.

SueDonim Tue 26-Nov-19 14:04:12

We tip our postman. He's been going above and beyond the call of duty for us for 23 years and deserves it! We'll tip the bin men if we see them but they have been coming in the early mornings so we're not yet up.

We have two new sets of neighbours and they both buy quite a lot online, which we often take in as we're home a lot more than them. I'm hoping they'll tip us this year! grin

Roses Tue 26-Nov-19 14:13:01

The postman even if he is a grump
The dog groomer who is an angel
My hairdresser who is so patient.

NanaandGrampy Tue 26-Nov-19 14:29:05

We tip the postman, he's a regular and always goes above and beyond . We also tip the dustmen, I wouldn't want their job for anything and again, they will collect the bin from up the drive if I cant get it to the road .

Our dog will tip his groomer ( not a bonio !!) she works hard to keep him looking great . When I had a hairdresser I went to every 6 weeks Id tip her too but now my visits are so irregular I don't bother.

kircubbin2000 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:45:35

I tip the hairdresser and used to tip postman. We have a post girl now so haven't got to know her yet.

genie10 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:59:34

I think tipping should be a thing of the past. Would you tip the shop assistant or the bus driver? Why tip certain people when they all earn a wage?

TwiceAsNice Tue 26-Nov-19 15:04:50

I tip my hairdresser who is lovely and give him a bottle of wine at Christmas. Never see the postman as letters left in outside run of boxes ( I am in a block of flats) ditto don’t see bin men as they empty communal outside cupboard.
So in answer to tour question only the hairdresser who is tipped all year round

TwiceAsNice Tue 26-Nov-19 15:05:13

Your not tour

timetogo2016 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:09:51

The bin men get nothing off me.
I put the bins out they empty them and leave them on the road so I have to go and fetch them back.
In the past they would pick them up empty them and bring them back,
If I manage to get the postie I tip him.
I tip the hair dresser too.
And the Chinese delivery guy.

Oopsminty Tue 26-Nov-19 15:17:16

We always tipped the bin men in the days before wheelie bins. They were always very friendly and chatty. Very helpful as well.

Now I wouldn't know them if I fell over them

Oopsminty Tue 26-Nov-19 15:18:17

Oh yes. I tip my hairdresser. Even though it's his salon and he's worth a fortune

But he does a fabulous job with my hair

Greeneyedgirl Tue 26-Nov-19 15:22:53

I think it's nice to show appreciation at Christmas to those that we see regularly, such as window cleaner, postie and free paper deliverer but I resent tipping the hairdresser, he overcharges for cut & blowdry IMO - £48! I tend to take a bottle or chocs during the year, rather than regular tips.

Gaunt47 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:44:57

Christmas boxes they used to be called?
I don't tip bin men etc, they all earn more than me, but I take boxes of seasonal choccies or biscuits to the small local shops where I have great service all year round.
My hairdresser gets a proper present for birthday and Christmas because I don't tip her!

Thomas67 Tue 26-Nov-19 16:43:35

I don’t tip anyone. They are all paid properly. I do say thank you and wish them a happy Christmas. They are only doing there job.