Gransnet forums

Chat

Tipping Tradespeople

(59 Posts)
Blinko Tue 26-Nov-19 10:34:07

I remember my Grandparents used to tip all sorts of tradespeople at this time of year (or in the run up Christmas). People like bin men, postmen, milkmen - except they're now all just as likely to be women. (Our post lady is lovely).

Does anyone tip these people nowadays? What's the norm, I wonder?

Blinko Thu 28-Nov-19 13:09:35

Interesting to read all the different approaches on here. Must admit, I tip my hairdresser. She does a grand job and is a single mum.

ARCC Tue 09-Nov-21 11:59:05

Wondering about tipping workmen who are doing a job in the house. is Only two have been here throughout the work and others are coming and going. All from the same company. Any thoughts?

Chestnut Tue 09-Nov-21 12:09:40

Workmen I would not tip. I only tip my hairdresser because she provides a personal service. What about taxi drivers? I sometimes give them a bit of change (if the fare was £4.90 they would get a £5 note) but my journeys are usually short and they haven't provided anything special, not even a conversation. If a taxi driver somehow went out of his way I would give him a tip, but that never happens.

Pepper59 Tue 09-Nov-21 12:18:50

Sadly our binmen, posties etc now are never the same people twice. I do buy a big tub of sweets for my hairdressers and do the same for a couple of local places I go to. Now that Im a nearly pensioner, most people have more income than I have.

Kim19 Tue 09-Nov-21 12:22:28

Binmen always but my postie changes so often that I probably wouldn't.

Ailidh Tue 09-Nov-21 12:28:19

I always tip the binmen. They're OK at their job, never had an issue, and it's a rubbish job (?) that I wouldn't want to do.

If I happen to be at the hairdresser/podiatrist/etc in December, I'll usually round up by a couple of quid, up to +£5, which I don't normally do.

biglouis Tue 09-Nov-21 12:37:20

I tip people who regularly help me with by business.

My regular postman as he is extra helpful.

My regular Fedex and UPS drivers.

I dont tip the bin men as they leave the bins anywhere even though theyve seen me walking with a stick.

sodapop Tue 09-Nov-21 12:38:45

No change from 2019 here. Tipping is unnecessary unless someone has gone over and above what was needed. I don't tip anyone.