Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do so many people only get the top set done?

(39 Posts)
Alima Fri 29-Nov-19 19:13:59

It seems that every time we watch the TV nowadays there is someone beating their gums showing off a brilliant white top set of teeth and a much more natural looking row of bottom choppers. ( Rylan Clarke Neal being an exception, his teeth must be visible from space). Is there a reason, apart from cost, that so many “TV” people just get the one lot done?

HannahLoisLuke Sat 30-Nov-19 14:13:30

Implants, veneers and crowns are all so obviously fake. Too big, too white and all the same shape and they seem to stand proud of the gum.
Joan Collins' gums seem to have a dark line where the teeth begin.
Not a good look, however much you pay.

KatyK Sat 30-Nov-19 14:55:18

Teeth can be troublesome and I suppose people are doing their best to look better. My mother took me to a dentist when I was 11 and allowed him to take all of my teeth out. It was an horrific and painful experience - ruined my life really. I have had full dentures since. At 70, I don't really consider myself to be very elderly but maybe I am. I wish I had some of these 'celebrity' teeth to be honest.

icanhandthemback Sat 30-Nov-19 16:11:39

KatyK, I'm with you. I don't necessarily want to be gleaming but it would be so much nicer than what I have.

CBBL Sat 30-Nov-19 16:27:54

A single implant to replace a lost tooth is at least £4,000 at my Dentists! I'm afraid when told that, I decided I would just have to live with the "gap". I dread to think what a full set of false teeth would cost today, even on the NHS!

Greeneyedgirl Sat 30-Nov-19 17:04:51

I had to laugh reading in the paper today about what the late Clive James wrote about American teeth. I quote
One day I was introduced to the veteran comedian Milton Berle. I had already realised that large and even teeth were an American standard, but his teeth weren't just evenly large, they were blindingly white. The rest of his kindly head was about 100 years old, but when he peeled back his lips, it was to reveal the killing weapons of a charging adolescent Tyrannosaurus. He is buried in Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery, and the glow must come up through the ground.
Brilliant eh?

Tedber Sat 30-Nov-19 19:42:46

A bit off topic but I can't stop looking at Vanessa Feltz's mouth!
Not teeth but the way she draws a line round her mouth and then fills in with a lighter lipstick? Whoever decided that THAT enhanced the lips? Same with those who fill them with collagen? Trout Pout? Does it look good? Make them look younger? Not in my book.

Fennel Sat 30-Nov-19 20:20:41

I wonder if it's also due to the way we use our teeth.
Like a hammer and anvil, the top teeth grind down on the bottom set, which are more firmly anchored in the lower jaw.
I've still got nearly all my bottom teeth, lost several from the top so I have a plate with about 6 teeth on it.
But not flashing white.

glammagran Sat 30-Nov-19 22:09:24

I remember seeing an actor on Game of Thrones with incredibly white teeth. Seems rather unlikely ?

twiglet77 Sun 01-Dec-19 23:28:58

I wish I could afford to go to the dentist when it hurts, let alone for vanity

Greeneyedgirl Mon 02-Dec-19 09:51:54

I am with you on that twiglet. Had a filling last week which cost £95 and I need more work done which I am dreading.

We will be getting to the stage when poorer people will be having all their teeth out when young, as they did in my mother's day as they couldn't afford regular dental treatments.

It was reported recently that children in UK have worse teeth than in some less developed countries, whilst many dentists become rich practising cosmetic dentistry.

Fennel Mon 02-Dec-19 11:13:27

Greeneyedgirl
"It was reported recently that children in UK have worse teeth than in some less developed countries,"
I also read thatrecently, in the USA too, said to be due to drinking too many sugary drinks such as coca cola. And 'sodas'.

cas58 Mon 02-Dec-19 18:30:57

I recently watched the clip of Rylan when he went through to Nicole's house on X Factor. His natural or real teeth were nice. I think having the veneers has not improved him at all. They're just too perfect now.

Annaram1 Thu 05-Dec-19 09:31:28

I asked the dentist to give me veneers which are one shade lighter than my own cream teeth. He said my teeth are already lighter than most peoples, and added "You don't want American teeth do you? "
I said "Yes I do."
People notice teeth.