Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(67 Posts)
12Michael Sat 30-Nov-19 06:12:34

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , cold and dry outside here in Brackley .
Usual Saturday trips to Bicester and Buckingham on the buses.
Also get bulk of Xmas cards done and posted , but also laundry.
And hoping this morning as still without TV , that its fixed by the time I get home , lot of angry residents as well.
Mick

Rufus2 Sat 30-Nov-19 11:25:27

TV , that its fixed by the time I get home
Mick G'Day; if it's not, perhaps you could find some time to give me your expert opinion on that "old maps" URL, I posted a while back? smile
Cheers

mamaa Sat 30-Nov-19 11:34:00

I don't post much on here ( have occasionally asked for advice and that which was received was very helpful) and haven't at all on this thread before; do enjoy reading everybody's activities however. Mine seem very mundane compared to what you all occupy yourself with.
So glad to see that things are on the up for the gillybobs what a worrying time that has been for them all.
I am a recently retired Deputy Head of a Primary school (so fit the Gransnet brief there!) with 3 GC who we ( husband of 38+ years) are fortunate enough to see regularly.
Hope you all have a good rest of the day everyone- can't believe its almost lunchtime already- true what they say- 'no idea how I fitted everything in and worked fulltime!'

GrandmasueUK Sat 30-Nov-19 11:40:58

Good morning (just) from a bright but frosty Lancashire/Cheshire border.

Lovely news from gillybob. I do read this thread every day and look forward to reading the updates as well as what everyone is getting up to.

My go-to website every day (after Gransnet) is the Minack webcam to see what the weather is like in Cornwall. I love my glimpse of the sea there. Looks cold and very wet today, I mean the weather there in general because obviously the sea would be wet .....

Hopefully off to do a bit of food shopping at Aldi later.

Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful day, especially Marydoll on her jaunt to NY.

Mapleleaf Sat 30-Nov-19 12:00:03

Good afternoon,

It's very frosty here, but so much more preferable to the damp, grey weather of earlier in the week.
Have a great time in New York, Marydoll and I hope there are no mishaps! ?
gilly, that's such good news to hear about your DH. Onwards and upwards ?.
Hope everyone has a good day, whatever your plans.

Grannysue11 Sat 30-Nov-19 12:03:50

Good Morning Grans,

Well where do I begin? The last week has been overwhelming and frantic to say the least, trying to get the christmas shopping completed on so-called 'black friday' was certainly an ordeal.

My DH was after a new laptop so after a lengthy search on the internet, combined with reading the reviews of course, I settled upon an Acer Chromebook, and as luck would have it, Currys reduced it from £299 to £189 for Black Friday.

With a carefully written description of the laptop in hand, I embarked on my first Black Friday adventure, and arrived outside my local Currys at 5:30am (DH thought I was mad, but I have always been an earlybird so the time didn't bother me). To my surprise a line had already formed, and my fellow Black Fridayers were eager to get there hands on the discounts. I hate to admit this, but I would not reccomend any of you other Gransnetters doing as I did, as the other Black Friday shoppers tended to be of a certain class and demographic making the 2 hour waiting process far more unpleasant than I had planned. They told me that their Jobseeker's Allowance had hit their bank the night before, and thus were more than equipped to purchase their oversived plasmas, probably for an 800sqft Council House if you ask me wink.

Anyway once the shop opened at 8:30am, I was shocked to realise the queuing process had been for nothing, as a number of the aforementioned louts pushed past me in order to get their hands on the goods. I was shocked and demanded an apology, but one of the delightful youths told me to 'f** off, you dirty nonce', leaving me on the brink of tears.

I finally arrived at the Chromebook station and to my horror the stock was depleted, despite only a few minutes having passed. I saw a number of overweight, chavvy individuals carry 4 each, probably to resell to their friends on the estate, leaving me at a loss.

Needless to say that will be my first, and last, Black Friday experience, and my views on the younger generation have been tarnished yet again. What a horrible lot.

Have a nice weekend grans.

Noncay Sat 30-Nov-19 12:10:48

Yo! I must have Alzheimer’s because I don’t remember asking blush

Noncay Sat 30-Nov-19 12:11:39

ok boomer.

Como2020 Sat 30-Nov-19 13:15:49

Good afternoon and hello to all.

What encouraging news gilly! I really hope Mr. Gilly’s progress continues.

Went to a Farmers Market this morning and came home with two herbs which I hadn't heard of before. For any interested Good Morning gardeners, one is Corsican mint (Mentha requienii) ... a matt growing mint ideal for cracks/gravel, and the other one is Landcress (Barbara vulgaris variegata) which is hot and peppery similar to watercress and clump growing.

Grammaretto Sat 30-Nov-19 14:33:50

Just dropped by to say that is wonderful news Gilly I can hear your spirits lifting!!
BTW our teeth are in league,

Glad that Marydoll made it and hope she doesn't get detained at immigration with those eyebrows!! Whatever possessed you?

Here I have been busy but happy with family arriving and sunshine on frost. The frost hasn't melted at all.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Marydoll Sat 30-Nov-19 15:16:55

Great news, Gilly!
NY Update.
Lost my wrist splint at security.
DH left his bag and caused security alert.
Airline allocated our reserved seats to someone else and we are all over the plane, DGD, aged 4 is sitting on her own
Airline, useless and wont help!!!
Apart from that, we are hunky dory!!

EllaKeat Sat 30-Nov-19 15:32:53

Lovely news Gillybob ?

Lovely sunny and crisp day here. Feeling a bit down today, but will no doubt bounce back tomorrow.

Sorry, this should say Good Afternoon ?

Grammaretto Sat 30-Nov-19 16:04:09

Marydoll!! shock
Have a lovely time in NY and r-e-l-a-x grin

Cherrytree59 Sat 30-Nov-19 17:54:05

Just popped in after a busy day to see how Gilly was coping with her painful tooth procedure.
You are one brave lady?
and was so pleased to read your update.
Your husband is certainly a fighter and definitely moving in the right directionsmile.

Hoping my My fellow Scots and all of course all my gransnetters pals had a good St Andrews thistle

Newquay Sat 30-Nov-19 18:07:59

Oh Grannysue what an ordeal you had! There are some AWFUL people about. . .but try to think about the lovely people instead.

NfkDumpling Sat 30-Nov-19 18:23:24

Great news Gilly. Onwards and upwards!

Hope Marydoll was able to swop seats once airborne.

Next time Grannysue (if there is one) take a pointy hike stick with you. My Australian Aunt used her’s to great effect!

cornergran Sat 30-Nov-19 18:30:28

Back after a long but fun day out to check on gilly. I’m so pleased for you and your brave husband. Onwards and upwards now smile.

Blimey marydoll what a kerfuffle. Hope your granddaughter is coping, wouldn't you think someone would offer a seat swap? Enjoy NY, look after yourselves, enough has gone wrong.