Gransnet forums

Chat

Private messages

(33 Posts)
EllaKeat Sat 30-Nov-19 18:15:39

Please could you tell me why someone who has sent me private messages has had them removed at their request?

I am a wee bit fragile today, and seeing three messages just, poof, gone, has sent my imagination into overdrive?
So why do you ask to get back private messages?

love0c Sat 30-Nov-19 18:17:52

Hi ellaKeat, don't worry I had that happen to me as well once. I just assumed they had left Gransnet and so all posts disappeared?

dragonfly46 Sat 30-Nov-19 18:19:29

I have had this with mine and asked the people concerned. They told me they had not done it so I think it is something Gransnet does to make space.

Greenfinch Sat 30-Nov-19 18:21:10

This is nothing to worry about Ella. It just means that the sender has been clearing out their inbox and sent messages and has deleted them. Nothing sinister I can assure you.

EllaKeat Sat 30-Nov-19 18:22:56

Thank you all so much!
I had some rubbish news today, and this just seemed to be another kick!
Teach me to be paranoid?

PamelaJ1 Sat 30-Nov-19 20:30:49

It happened to me too.
I wondered if the poster got fed up of waiting for me to reply.
Trouble is I don’t check very often.

Callistemon Sat 30-Nov-19 20:46:19

They are springcleaning their inboxes and sent mail Ellakeat and probably deleted the lot by mistake!.

Baggs Sat 30-Nov-19 20:51:42

If someone deletes items from their Sent folder it does not delete them from the recipient's Inbox.

Baggs Sat 30-Nov-19 20:54:44

I don't think GNHQ has any control over your inbox either.

annep1 Sat 30-Nov-19 23:46:27

Has happened to me too EllaKeat.
Quite often we can misinterpret things.
But in any case not worth worrying about.
Hope you are feeling a bit better ?

BlueBelle Sun 01-Dec-19 07:21:14

It’s not always the person clearing out their mailbox I had this happen a while back asked the person why they had removed my messages.. and they assured me they hadn’t I was worried I d offended them it appeared on that occasion the HQ had had a sweep up so they did have control then baggs Not sure about in general though

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 10:50:34

Yes, it did happen a while ago as Bluebelle said

Urmstongran Sun 01-Dec-19 11:55:53

I feel for Rufus who has very kindly sent Mick some maps for his perusal, knowing he enjoys them and to date hasn’t had amessage from him about them

Maybe Mick might see this thread which is why I posted - as Rufus lives in Melbourne & he will be asleep now I guess.
?

Greenfinch Sun 01-Dec-19 12:35:56

I have messages that go back at least to 2013 if not before. I have never been aware of a sweep up by GNHQ.

EllaKeat Sun 01-Dec-19 14:32:38

This is the message I have on 3 separate mails

'This message has been removed at user request'

To me, that reads as though the sender has asked GNHQ to call tgem back.
As I have messaged this poster to ask and had no response (she is still active), I can only assume I have offended in some way.

Feeling brighter today, so can just think 'sod it' as opposed to yesterday when it was the end of the world ?

MawB Sun 01-Dec-19 14:42:30

Did Rufus really?

I thought he sent Mick a link to the old maps Urmstongran not the maps themselves. How did he find his name and address?

Prepared to stand corrected.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Dec-19 14:53:27

Greenfinch it happened maybe a year ago and afterwards HQ said they had had a clear up I didn’t imagine it there were others had it happen too hopefully someone else can remember and back me up I ll try and go back and look at the date as I still think the removed messages are still sitting in my inbox with the user has removed message on it

BlueBelle Sun 01-Dec-19 14:57:39

It was January this year just had a look

Ginny42 Sun 01-Dec-19 15:00:57

Yes, it happened to me and I was worried I'd offended someone I regard as a friend. Neither of us had requested it.

farview Sun 01-Dec-19 17:20:55

It's strange...my own PMs that I've sent to a friend(gransnetter)...three have ' been removed at users request'..well I haven't requested that..nor has she...so messages that I thought she'd received...never got sent...What is going on?

EllaKeat Sun 01-Dec-19 17:24:25

Oh farview that is much worse than my situation!

Must be a glitch, must be ? Repeat 27 times ?

Grammaretto Sun 01-Dec-19 18:04:46

It has happened to most of my PMs too EllaKeat. I am glad it's not just me. I thought the person had changed their mind about talking to me. Phew! Thanks for getting that cleared up.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Dec-19 18:15:10

Yes it happened to both sender and receiver in my case and I was so worried I d said something to upset them but they assured me they hadn’t removed it themselves

farview Sun 01-Dec-19 18:45:51

So GN ..What is going on ?..

annep1 Sun 01-Dec-19 20:47:58

Feeling brighter today, so can just think 'sod it' as opposed to yesterday when it was the end of the world ?
Much better attitude.
Glad you're feeling brighter.