Gransnet forums

Chat

Private messages

(34 Posts)
EllaKeat Sat 30-Nov-19 18:15:39

Please could you tell me why someone who has sent me private messages has had them removed at their request?

I am a wee bit fragile today, and seeing three messages just, poof, gone, has sent my imagination into overdrive?
So why do you ask to get back private messages?

Eloethan Sun 01-Dec-19 21:05:38

I noticed this today too - message saying a pm has been deleted at user's request. I too wondered why someone would ask to have their pm to me deleted.

I always forget to look at the Gransnet Inbox At one time, I used to get an e-mail notification if a Gransnet message was waiting but I don't get it any more. I don't know why.

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 21:17:14

I clear old messages and I can tell you that it does generate that message to the person who originally sent the pm.
It’s just a spring clean of the inbox.

Greenfinch Sun 01-Dec-19 21:31:16

That is exactly what happened to me with messages from lemongrove. Those from her when she was under another name are still there. I think the whole scenario is very strange. confused

BradfordLass72 Mon 02-Dec-19 04:59:58

I have a suspicion that it's a computer glitch. I've had reason to query this as well and as so many other cyber-things go wrong, I settled on that explanation. Could be wrong of course.

EllaKeat you can be pretty certain your friends didn't snub you in any way. As you can see, it happens to us all. smile

Hope you're feeling perkier today flowers.

Ginny42 Mon 02-Dec-19 06:10:47

Yes, even in this virtual world we can be upset that we may have offended someone's feelings and they've cut us off. Glad you're feeling better about it all Ella Keat.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Dec-19 06:36:28

It’s not just clearing messages out lemongrove I know you have a spring clean and some other posters do too You also get the same happen when a poster leaves GN but what we are talking about is when the messages disappear just after you wrote them , mid conversation sometimes and you ask the other person if they removed them and they answer ‘no but yours have been deleted too’ and yet they have the usual message against them ‘message deleted at posters request’
It may be a glitch but whatever it is it’s not nice as it leaves you wondering what you said wrong

EllaKeat Mon 02-Dec-19 09:15:19

Yes BlueBelle these messages disappeared 2 days and 1 day after they had been sent.
I had just replied for the second time, and less than an hour later the messages had been removed.

That us why I was so perplexed. But it really does not matter.

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Dec-19 14:01:44

Hi everyone, thanks for letting us know about this problem. Normally this message comes up when people clear their inboxes and delete their messages, and is nothing to worry about. In future, if you have questions about the GN site, please post them in the site stuff section of the forums, because we check that every day so we will spot problems quicker. Thanks smile