Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you discover relatively late on in life that everyone else had known for years?

(193 Posts)
SirChenjin Sun 01-Dec-19 19:53:23

Come and confess at the Alter of How Did I Not Know This - no judgments made here! grin

1. I didn’t know that the Earth was tilted on its axis - I thought we just moved further away from the sun in winter and closer in summer, which of course makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

2. I thought gravity was a sort of magnetic force emanating the centre of the Earth that pulled every downwards.

3. I was fascinated to learn that Brazil nuts are actually seeds (that doesn’t make me sound quite so daft as the first two blush)

fatgran57 Thu 05-Dec-19 02:17:03

That HAZCHEM signs mean hazardous chemicals. Had no idea until a few years ago! Really pathetic I knowblush

BBbevan Thu 05-Dec-19 06:07:52

Plant crossing, meant heavy machinery. Not greenery or the Welsh for children

shysal Thu 05-Dec-19 07:28:23

When I was a child we used to drive past a sign which read 'LAYBY LAVATORIES'. For many years I used to wonder how anyone could pee when lying beside the loo!

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:21:16

It was only last year Purpledaffodil that even learned about Hassleback potatoes!
I always use chopsticks to prevent my knife completely going through.

I didn't know, until I started growing them a few years ago, that figs were fertilised by a wasp which, after laying her eggs, dies inside the fig.

Meaning every time anyone eats a fig, they also eat a dead wasp - albeit digested by enzymes in the fig.
Figs are not fruit but inverted flowers.
I didn't know that until quite recently either.

SirChenjin Thu 05-Dec-19 09:17:48

BradfordLass72 - I’m shocked about the wasps and the figs envy <- not envy. A quick google check confirms that it is indeed true (not that I was doubting you...much! grin) I don’t think figs will feature on my shopping list from now on.

I was older than I should have been when I found out that Timbuktu was an actual real place.

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 09:22:25

Now I know why I dislike figs.

My mother used to give me Syrup of Figs when I was young. It kept us 'regular'. All those wasps I drank!

MamaCaz Thu 05-Dec-19 09:27:14

When I got my first job after school, in an office, I was quite shocked to discover that the 'adult' women were as bitchy and fickle as schoolgirls. For some reason, I had always imagined that adults were above such things.
Naive, or what!

Sussexborn Thu 05-Dec-19 12:33:27

For years I prayed “Let the petrol light shine upon us”. Petrol/perpetual? My version made more sense!

MissAdventure Thu 05-Dec-19 13:48:31

The figs, the figs!

I never knew that! shock

Urmstongran Thu 05-Dec-19 14:05:15

I’ve gone off figs now ....
?

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 14:29:42

Bleurgh! I used to like figs, so thanks for that BradfordLass! envy (not envy)

BBbevan Thu 05-Dec-19 14:53:59

Help ! I eat a lot of figs.

Went out for a quick shop. A neighbour is moving next week. so went to get a gluten free cake for a get together we are having before she goes. Got 2 small cakes ( I would have liked something a bit festive but not in free from). The card I bought says new job, and I bought a pair of jeggings to go under a tunic , short when I need regular. So back to the shop tomorrow. I will go early though as it was heaving by lunchtime today.

BBbevan Thu 05-Dec-19 14:56:24

Sorry folks. The last bit should have been on What I did today. I'm obviously having a bad day

SirChenjin Thu 05-Dec-19 18:50:36

grin

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 19:28:34

ah, but you have now learnt that moving house is not the same as having a new job and that short is not regular BBbevan
grin

See, we're never too old to learn.

And that two cakes are better than one

BBbevan Thu 05-Dec-19 19:46:49

And that there are some super quick witted people on here Cheers Callistemon

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 19:47:28

wink