Gransnet forums

Chat

Shock at sugar consumption

(77 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 03-Dec-19 07:35:12

I took 4yr old DGD to the cinema yesterday. In the ticket queue aisle, at her height, were sweets and sugary drinks galore.
She asked and I said no, I had brought a drink and snack, but the child in front was being bought a fluorescent green smoothie and a huge tub of sweets. DGD eyes were as big as the saucery eyes of Elsa and Ana, animated heroines of the Disney film we were about to see, but all she said was " I like smoothies"

It makes me very cross, especially today when I hear the big companies are still at it with the dangerous levels of sugar in food and drinks. Why? Don't their managers have children?

icanhandthemback Tue 03-Dec-19 11:34:25

It isn’t just cinemas though. If you go to any leisure centre, healthy snacks are very limited but sugary ones are plentiful. hmm

Hetty58 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:42:45

Grammaretto, you are no fun! Cinema just isn't the same without the popcorn (bought earlier and sneaked in). It's what they eat and drink most of the time that's important. Next, you'll be trying to avoid Christmas treats - good luck with that!

Grammaretto Tue 03-Dec-19 11:51:30

Hetty58 don't come with us then. grin I agree that plain popcorn is OK but the version they sell in those cannister things is crammed with saturated fat and can be between 400 and 1000 calories per pot. A 4 yr old? I ask you...

Menopauselbitch Tue 03-Dec-19 12:00:11

The thing is it’s meant to be a treat not an everyday thing so why not? I would rather give my dgs sugar than the drinks with no added sugar that contain the poison called sweetener. I cringe when I see trolleys full of no added sugar drinks and diet drinks.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:15:14

Aspartame makes me really sick!

janeainsworth Tue 03-Dec-19 12:16:23

I am with you Grammaretto, though your username makes me wonder how committed you are to the movement to reduce refined sugar in our diets grin
Only joking.
I do not buy into the idea that Grandparents have a right/privilege/duty to spoil their grandchildren with sugary treats. It’s up to the parents to decide on dietary rules for their children & grandparents shouldn’t undermine them.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:26:47

Agreed, janeainsworth, that it's best to ask parents what is allowed. We have the opposite problem with my GC, though. I'm the one aiming for a more balanced diet and cutting down on junk food - still, I'd take popcorn to the pictures!

Summerstorm Tue 03-Dec-19 13:08:24

It’s easy to blame the sweet companies or drinks manufacturers or even the government, but it’s the parents buying the stuff that’s the problem really

Mcrc Tue 03-Dec-19 13:08:32

you guys sound so grumpy! Don't you remember getting popcorn and candy at the movies? They were treats! I agree that serving sizes are too big now but lighten up!

janeainsworth Tue 03-Dec-19 13:09:42

Same here Hetty. I took DGC to the pictures a few months ago & made them share a very small packet of chocolate buttons grin
Their parents would have let them have one each!

crazyH Tue 03-Dec-19 13:18:59

Ooooooo "I like smoothies" would have melted my heart ❤️

Paperbackwriter Tue 03-Dec-19 14:13:32

Grumpy I may be, but the constant guzzling of 'snacks' at the cinema (& smelly burgers etc) put me off going to the cinema a long time ago. I really don't understand why people can't manage to sit down for two hours without shoving stuff into their faces. Twas ever thus though, I remember my mum buying us a box (not even a packet, an actual BOX) of maltese's when she took us to see a film. I only ever go in the afternoons these days, at a time when I pretty much have the place to myself. Bliss!

Grammaretto Tue 03-Dec-19 15:32:17

You are right about the dreaded aspartamine. Diet cokes indeed!
She does melt my heart but she and I have has been so well trained by her firm mama that I wouldn't dare indulge her and anyway those green smoothies looked terrible. They truly looked poisonous.
A proper milk and fruit smoothie would be fine.

Callistemon Tue 03-Dec-19 15:43:35

I went with my DGD at the weekend and they were allowed a drink (probably contained that horrible aspartame, not my choice! ) and some popcorn, mixed sweet and salty.

It was a treat and not part of their daily diet.

Callistemon Tue 03-Dec-19 15:46:20

Ps Grammaretto there was a huge display of pik 'n' mix sweets on the wall but they seem to have missed that, or Mum guided them past it quickly.

Rosina Tue 03-Dec-19 15:47:08

I suppose if it is kept to a treat when going to the cinema the odd session of sugar consumption isn't going to cause a major problem, but like others I do wonder why we have to eat everywhere - what's wrong with having a meal out before the film as a special treat, or after? The sweets are a crazy price in cinemas too - captive audience, literally. I am a real sourpuss (evidently ) as I never did buy sweets for my children - their grandparents handed over quite enough each week, and I am now the Granny who doesn't buy sweets.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:53:25

Sugar consumption is such a big worry so many hidden sugars in everything, it’s a total nightmare I know many ppl not just children who think nothing of guzzling Diet Coke till the cows come home, I take sugar in my tea n I love chocolate all sweet things I’m trying to cut down myself I don’t eat cakes or bisc or crisps , choc is my downfall, I’ve decided I’m not eating as much this Xmas just cos it’s Christmas , supermarkets have loads of sweets at their tills have done for years , all sweets etc are at shop counters where you pay for items, they are there to tempt us, and now advent calendars full of choc, double. Team with brandy etc everywhere you turn, you have to be very strong willed to ignore, but I’m trying hard lol

TrendyNannie6 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:54:25

Cream not team

sandelf Tue 03-Dec-19 15:54:32

It really puts me off going. I go for the films. I must have been a right humbug - used to tell my child re sweeties at the checkout, in cinema etc 'They are for stupid people' - she took it to heart and to this day - looks at the unit cost of everything. Must have saved her money and teeth smile

Grammaretto Tue 03-Dec-19 15:58:44

Yes Rosina, we weren't hungry as we had had lunch at home before we went out. Mind you sitting through all those ads and then a 2 hour film is a long stretch and some of the weans were dancing in the aisles.

Fiachna50 Tue 03-Dec-19 16:13:10

What is the matter with Diet Coke? I thought people were encouraged to change to diet drinks, rather than the full sugar alternative, as a healthy lifestyle choice. Is this not the reason diet drinks are cheaper than full sugar ones?

Grammaretto Tue 03-Dec-19 16:24:19

Fiachna50 it's debatable whether or not diet drinks are worse than ones with high sugar but they aren't better either and since IMO they don't taste nice, why would you drink them?
They have no food value whatsoever and could be harmful to your health. Tap water is the best low calorie drink. Add ice and a sprig of mint or a slice of lemon.

But today my tipple is tea.

Aepgirl Tue 03-Dec-19 17:21:34

Why can’t parents be more firm with their children, instead of giving in to everything? If people didn’t buy these items, they wouldn’t be for sale.

Fiachna50 Tue 03-Dec-19 18:21:20

Aepgirl, different generation and different parenting now.

sodapop Tue 03-Dec-19 18:56:05

Yes I agree Aepgirl why should sweets etc be banned at till points and in cinemas. Parents should teach their children the meaning of the word 'no' .