Gransnet forums

Chat

Shock at sugar consumption

(77 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 03-Dec-19 07:35:12

I took 4yr old DGD to the cinema yesterday. In the ticket queue aisle, at her height, were sweets and sugary drinks galore.
She asked and I said no, I had brought a drink and snack, but the child in front was being bought a fluorescent green smoothie and a huge tub of sweets. DGD eyes were as big as the saucery eyes of Elsa and Ana, animated heroines of the Disney film we were about to see, but all she said was " I like smoothies"

It makes me very cross, especially today when I hear the big companies are still at it with the dangerous levels of sugar in food and drinks. Why? Don't their managers have children?

Newquay Sat 04-Jan-20 09:09:31

Just had DD2 to stay with DGC 6 and 2 while her DH worked. He’s a consultant anaesthetist and has seen many young children having bad teeth removed needing a GA. so sad. Therefore their children’s diet doesn’t contain a lot of additional sugar-not always easy; it requires effort. Unlike local DD1 whose children start the day with sugar☹️
At at afternoon conversation class I go to, we’ve been joined by a lovely man who is obese and uses a stick. We only meet for 1 1/2 hours; none of us has ever eaten or drunk anything yet he constantly sips at pop and munches sweets too!
AND saying “NO” seems to be regarded as harsh too.