Gransnet forums

Chat

Charging Vietnamese families to repatriate their dead, trafficked, family members

(116 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 04-Dec-19 07:26:57

Dominic Raab is a nasty piece of work!.

First he shuts down Harry Dunn’s father outside his hustings venue, then refuses entrance at his hustings.

Now we discover that the Foreign Secretary is charging the families of the Essex lorry victims £2,000 to have their bodies repatriated.

The victims who were enticed with the promise of a prosperous life in Britain were charged up to £40,000 by the traffickers only to be killed in a container. Those arrested and charged for people trafficking, illegal immigration, manslaughter are British citizens.

The government is deliberately pushing these families into further misery and debt. Knowing very well people sold/mortgaged their homes, land or took high interest loans. Surely the right thing to do is seize the assets of the culprits and use that money at the least.

This government lost compassion long ago now it has lost its soul.

Poppyred Wed 04-Dec-19 09:37:37

I disagree. British tax payers should not have to pay! We waste far too much money as it is trying to deport illegals and undesirables from the country.

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 09:39:22

That is the normal cost of repatriating a body.

Someone has applied the rules without thinking this through. We should pay for this and either ask their own Government to share the cost and/or use the money from the seized proceeds of the crime.

EllanVannin I think some families sold everything they had to send one member of the family here for a 'better life'.

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Dec-19 09:39:36

Your post at 09.02 certainly puts this into perspective crystaltipps. I'm shocked and ashamed that those poor people are having to pay to have their loved ones returned to them.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Dec-19 09:42:03

This is terrible - as if the families haven’t suffered enough. Imagine your child suffocating slowly to death in the back of a lorry and the terror they must have felt.

There’s a lack of basic compassion amongst some in this country - it’s like a race to the bottom.

timetogo2016 Wed 04-Dec-19 09:46:10

I`m with craftyone on this thread.
I feel also that we the British, shouldn't have to pay either.
As awful as it is the families wanted them to have a better life,and that`s fine sadly it won`t be happening.
But also if there`s money in the coffers give it to the poor of this country.
We have children looking after their disabled parents for nothing.
That`s child slavery if there`s money to go around give it to those who deserve it.

Shelmiss Wed 04-Dec-19 09:47:32

I’m fed up of reading on this site the old mantra that if someone doesn’t agree with someone else then they lack compassion.

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 09:47:57

Where did you get your information from GagaJo?

All I can find so far is the fact that the Vietnamese authorities are charging the families for the cost of repatriation, not that our Government is charging them.

The other case you mention is surely sub judice and extremely sensitive surely nothing should jeopardise that?

harrigran Wed 04-Dec-19 09:48:53

The haulage company that was involved with people smuggling should bear the cost of repatriation. Sell off the assets of the haulage firm, one lorry would more than cover the cost.

timetogo2016 Wed 04-Dec-19 09:50:19

I`m with Craftyone 100%.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Dec-19 09:51:46

I’m fed up of people who lack basic compassion complaining when others highlight their lack of compassion.

Looks like we’re both fed up Shelmiss. Hey ho.

Granniesunite Wed 04-Dec-19 09:52:28

Compassion sadly lacking in this government if this is true.
Where are our Christian values??
We are a very rich country and should be able to find the money that this repatriation will take.

Of course in the due process of the law the traffickers should be held accountable.

Not the poor families. That to me is uncharitable.

MawB Wed 04-Dec-19 09:59:38

Poppyred
I disagree. British tax payers should not have to pay! We waste far too much money as it is trying to deport illegals and undesirables from the country

Ah well, that says it all. We are indeed a “broken” country if the majority of people think this way.

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 10:03:18

Ten people have been charged with this trafficking in Vietnam - should the Vietnamese government be recouping the cost from them instead of charging the families?
I think so.

It is not the British Government charging the families as was stated in the OP - the Vietnamese Embassy has arranged this and their own Government is the one charging the families.

Whilst I do think this is wrong, it is also wrong for the OP to use this possibly fake news to score a political point.

Hetty58 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:07:20

MawB, let's hope not. My thoughts are with the poor relatives:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/27/vietnamese-families-mourn-39-truck-migrants-funds-raised-help/

Hetty58 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:11:55

Callistemon, I agree that it's factually wrong (rather than fake) but still, essentially, it amounts to the same thing. The British government has washed it's hands of it all and denied any help - nice?

Poppyred Wed 04-Dec-19 10:19:36

Maw B

We are a broken country because of Labour’s open door policy. What a waste of our resources- we are not responsible for the rest of the world. We have enough problems of our own to deal with, child poverty and lack of basic social care for the elderly .....and the list goes on.

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 10:21:59

We don't know what arrangements were made between the two governments though, do we.
Perhaps our government was unaware that the families would be charged by the Vietnamese government.

I would like to know the full facts before commenting more except to say that the families should not have been charged at all.

Riverwalk Wed 04-Dec-19 10:22:21

Labour has been out of power for the past nine years confused

Poppyred Wed 04-Dec-19 10:25:17

And still they come.... by fair means or foul. ......

MawB Wed 04-Dec-19 10:42:15

we are not responsible for the rest of the world. We have enough problems of our own to deal with, child poverty and lack of basic social care for the elderly .....and the list goes on

Oh Poppyred have you not read the parable of the Good Samaritan?
Simple acts of humanity are what define a civilised society.

NotSpaghetti Wed 04-Dec-19 10:48:41

Riverwalk is right.
UK should repatriate and then extract the money from the smugglers. We know at least some of those involved so that's obviously possible.

Poppyred Wed 04-Dec-19 11:38:32

Ah but that’s the trouble MawB we are known all over the world for our generosity of spirit... far too many now taking advantage.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Dec-19 11:58:38

Taking advantage by risking their lives? Really - you see that as taking advantage?

Direct your ire at the multinationals and politicians who take full advantage of the UK - they’re the ones who deserve your lack of compassion. As for the open door policy - the Tories have been in power for how long? They’re quite happy to have the cheap labour from these countries, it’s what shores up the economy.

glammanana Wed 04-Dec-19 12:01:12

It must have cost the UK thousands up to now with everyone involved with this case Police/NCA/Medical and all the other agencies involved so I think £78k is a drop in the ocean,when the criminals are found guilty their assets should be stripped and given over to cover the cost.

gallusquine Wed 04-Dec-19 12:14:44

It would be good use of the Proceeds of Crime Fund to pay for the repatriation of the bodies surely.