Gransnet forums

Chat

Charging Vietnamese families to repatriate their dead, trafficked, family members

(115 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 04-Dec-19 07:26:57

Dominic Raab is a nasty piece of work!.

First he shuts down Harry Dunn’s father outside his hustings venue, then refuses entrance at his hustings.

Now we discover that the Foreign Secretary is charging the families of the Essex lorry victims £2,000 to have their bodies repatriated.

The victims who were enticed with the promise of a prosperous life in Britain were charged up to £40,000 by the traffickers only to be killed in a container. Those arrested and charged for people trafficking, illegal immigration, manslaughter are British citizens.

The government is deliberately pushing these families into further misery and debt. Knowing very well people sold/mortgaged their homes, land or took high interest loans. Surely the right thing to do is seize the assets of the culprits and use that money at the least.

This government lost compassion long ago now it has lost its soul.

craftyone Wed 04-Dec-19 07:37:57

The money should come from the ill gotten gains of the people doing the people smuggling

love0c Wed 04-Dec-19 07:49:48

Quite agree craftyone! It is unfair to expect the taxpayers in this country to pay. Every week we hear of people denied treatments for themselves and their children due to the high cost. We do not have money trees. A hard decision by our government but tax payers cannot pay for everything for everybody.

Shelmiss Wed 04-Dec-19 07:56:15

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t moan about how there is child poverty in this country due to the government not spending enough etc etc and then expect them to spend money on something like this.

Maybe if Labour get in they can use their magical money tree to pay for it.

BlueBelle Wed 04-Dec-19 07:59:41

Oh my word I m gobsmacked what a nasty nasty piece of work and how dreadful does it make our country seem, not an ounce of compassion
Of course it should be paid by the perpetrators but it won’t be Is it £2000 each or as a whole ?
Let’s hope someone starts up a petition to raise the money from the general public I ll happily give to it

BlueBelle Wed 04-Dec-19 08:03:28

Oh shelmist that’s dead mean two wrongs don’t make a right that amount wouldn’t touch the sides of child poverty
you re on another planet Vietnam is a very poor country really poor, nothing like us, the 6th richest in the world really mean

Nortsat46 Wed 04-Dec-19 08:03:45

GagaJo, I almost wish I didn’t know this ... it’s so dreadful.

What on earth is wrong with Raab?
Perhaps a tiny percentage of the funds used (wasted) to prepare for Brexit could be diverted to cover the costs of repatriating those poor people to their families.

The number of occasions when I feel ashamed of this country is becoming legion.

Riverwalk Wed 04-Dec-19 08:06:21

Is there a link to this story - I can't believe that even this government would stoop so low!

Of course the UK should pay for this and later seize assets after criminal convictions.

I'm sickened that people are unsympathetic.

EllanVannin Wed 04-Dec-19 08:32:58

Where/how did the families of the deceased manage to get together thousands to pay for the initial transportation ?
This is a poor country.
The repatriation expenses should be paid by those who smuggled them into the country in the first place.

Newquay Wed 04-Dec-19 08:39:01

We cannot continue to pour money out when we have so much poverty here.
This is not a land of milk and honey for many and folks must be discouraged from thinking so and getting further into debt and, indeed, paying with their lives to come here. The money must be retrieved from those who profited IMHO.

MawB Wed 04-Dec-19 08:41:28

I also am shocked if this is true (not impugning OP, but the media are so unreliable these days)
I am also saddened at those who feel it is justified.
It is mean and mean-spirited of HMG to pick on the Vietnamese families and does them no credit.
I agree that the culprits, if found guilty of course, should foot any bill but £2000 each for what, 20+ victims? The government spends many more times than that on security for BJ’s new dog.
Badly done.

PamelaJ1 Wed 04-Dec-19 08:52:13

The cost to repatriate them would be a drop in the ocean for us.
We should show our compassion for these poor families.
Is there a site to donate to?

mumofmadboys Wed 04-Dec-19 08:57:56

I think our government should pay. It is a small amount of money in the scheme of things. The least we can do in this dreadful situation

travelsafar Wed 04-Dec-19 08:58:56

It is a terrible situation to be in. I thought i heard that the Vietnamese government was going to loan them the money and they will have to pay it back to their own government. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Anniebach Wed 04-Dec-19 09:01:46

So the Vietnam government are charging the families ?

crystaltipps Wed 04-Dec-19 09:02:53

What there is money for
£100 m on Brexit ads
£ 11m on scrapped Brexit 50ps
£8bn on no deal preparation
£13.8 m on ferry company with no ships
£1bn to DUP for votes
£70bn on Brexit already
What there’s no money for
£78k for repatriation of children’s bodies to their families,

eazybee Wed 04-Dec-19 09:08:34

The nasty piece of work in the Harry Dunn connection is the cowardly Ann Sacoolas, who will not leave the safety of the USA to face trial about the accident in which the boy died; it is not right to attempt to disrupt meetings by heckling, when Dominic Raab can do nothing in the face of diplomatic immunity. Try heckling President Trump, and see how far that gets.

Secondly, the migrants who died were attempting to force their way illegally into a county with which they have no legitimate connection. Perhaps the Vietnamese government will provide funds; it is not the responsibility of the British government, and it is not the 'least we should do.'

sodapop Wed 04-Dec-19 09:11:04

I would have thought both Governments could have com to some agreement but that won't happen will it. I agree with craftyone in principle but again it won't happen. Morally I think we should bear the cost of this. Seems like the traffickers should be held to account for this as well.

Urmstongran Wed 04-Dec-19 09:12:28

I think our government should pay.

But perhaps it’s smoke and mirrors as who believes everything a politician says?

Saying you are charging the families sends out a tough lesson as in ‘look what you’ve done was illegal and this is how we will now proceed’ - it sends out a message to the world.

In reality?

I doubt the government will even try to recoup money from these poor families.

Is the Vietnamese government in a position to pay? If they get charged for repatriation due to the human trafficking from their country they might be more disposed to look for the perpetrators - the ones who organise this heinous crime. It has to start somewhere.

crystaltipps Wed 04-Dec-19 09:15:01

So if they can’t pay what will happen to the bodies ?

Urmstongran Wed 04-Dec-19 09:18:08

X posts eazybee

Hetty58 Wed 04-Dec-19 09:18:39

I'm truly ashamed to be British. Surely, it can be paid - then the funds will be recovered through the proceeds of crime act?

crystaltipps Wed 04-Dec-19 09:19:08

We presumably pay for illegal migrants to be imprisoned/ deported so paying this small amount is relatively tiny.

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 09:34:33

Yes, this would make me ashamed to be British. Oh course we should pay for their poor murdered relatives remains to be returned to them.

I’m shocked that anyone on this forum thinks otherwise.

Hetty58 Wed 04-Dec-19 09:36:54

I used to be proud to be British and thought we set a really good example to the rest of the world - what happened?