Gransnet forums

Chat

Charging Vietnamese families to repatriate their dead, trafficked, family members

(116 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 04-Dec-19 07:26:57

Dominic Raab is a nasty piece of work!.

First he shuts down Harry Dunn’s father outside his hustings venue, then refuses entrance at his hustings.

Now we discover that the Foreign Secretary is charging the families of the Essex lorry victims £2,000 to have their bodies repatriated.

The victims who were enticed with the promise of a prosperous life in Britain were charged up to £40,000 by the traffickers only to be killed in a container. Those arrested and charged for people trafficking, illegal immigration, manslaughter are British citizens.

The government is deliberately pushing these families into further misery and debt. Knowing very well people sold/mortgaged their homes, land or took high interest loans. Surely the right thing to do is seize the assets of the culprits and use that money at the least.

This government lost compassion long ago now it has lost its soul.

Doodle Thu 05-Dec-19 20:42:26

GagaJo the OP suggested, implied, whatever that our government was responsible for charging the Vietnamese families for the repatriation of their loved ones. All I am asking is where the OP and others who have posted the same, got their information from as I haven’t read it anywhere else. If anyone brought politics into this terribly sad situation it was the OP.

SirChenjin Thu 05-Dec-19 20:46:13

I don’t recall the OP making snide comments about other posters’ political views.

Doodle Thu 05-Dec-19 21:36:08

I haven’t made snide comments about anyone. It is not my style I am just asking where OP got her information from. If you look back over my posts on this thread that is all I have asked. I have the deepest sympathy for those that have died in such a tragic way and their families left behind. The thought of how those poor people died is terrible. I just want to know if it is true that our government said they had to pay to have their loved ones returned.

SirChenjin Thu 05-Dec-19 21:51:45

What made you think I was talking about you Doodle?

Doodle Thu 05-Dec-19 22:35:59

Sorry SirChenjin as your post came under mine I assumed it was me you were talking about as you didn’t mention any names. I was surprised I admit. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

JenniferEccles Thu 05-Dec-19 22:36:59

Doodle I am pretty sure I am the one deemed to have made ‘snide’ political comments when I said that I also hadn’t seen any confirmation of Dominic Raab supposedly refusing to pay to repatriate the dead Vietnamese.

As I couldn’t confirm the accusation I just thought it was another dig at the Tories.

I am sure you are in the clear!!

Doodle Thu 05-Dec-19 22:39:09

jennifer I am asking the same question as I have been trying to find out where the OP read about Dominic Raab. I can’t find anything about it either.

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 22:40:21

Gagajo

You may have put this thread under Chat but its rightful place should be News and Politics because it is political.

I am astonished that you chastise another poster by saying if politics are what you take from this then I have no words. Genuinely.

I do not agree with that poster's views but this was a political OP from the start and not well researched either.

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 22:41:02

Nor me Doodle and I've searched long and hard. hmm

Doodle Thu 05-Dec-19 22:43:54

Everything I have read points to the Vietnamese Embassy/Government saying they have to pay. Sad time for all the families.

JenniferEccles Thu 05-Dec-19 22:53:09

Well in view of the fact that Gagajo hasn’t told us where she found the alleged story ,this thread is a bit pointless now isn’t it? !

Dominic Raab it appears you are innocent of all charges!!

Eloethan Fri 06-Dec-19 00:05:32

A massive amount of money has been wasted in this country. Boris Johnson alone is reportedly responsible for the squandering of £940,000,000 on a variety of, mostly failed, vanity projects. £2,000 x 30+ is a miniscule amount by comparison.

These poor people died in Britain in the most terrible circumstances, brought about by the action or inaction of the people who have been arrested. It is, in my opinion, dishonourable of our government to refuse assistance in this matter.

In the past, many British (and other European) people travelled abroad to improve their life prospects or to escape persecution and poverty. They may not have been considered "illegal immigrants" at the time because European believed they were inherently superior and were thus entitled to march into a country, claim it for themselves, forcibly subjugate indigenous populations by seizing their land and assets and depriving them of their culture and beliefs - and killing those who were not compliant. At least these Vietnamese people didn't plan a takeover of Britain - they just wanted to come here and work.

Hetty58 Fri 06-Dec-19 00:37:23

Exactly, Eloethan, and although the government has no legal duty to assist, I strongly believe that they have a moral duty to.

ananimous Fri 06-Dec-19 16:05:30

Fake news on Gransnet again...

Sparklefizz Fri 06-Dec-19 16:27:49

Yes, fake news - this post should be withdrawn.