Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(43 Posts)
Rufus2 Thu 05-Dec-19 05:45:32

G'Day once again everyone! Opening up a bit earlier as we have a busy day ahead; the kettle will be boiling soon;
good news for insomniacs and sleepwalkers, with steaming mugs of tea/coffee awaiting; even hot cocoa if ordered prior. Iced tea/coffee now off the menu due to lack of demand; not sure if we have a BYO licence, so best if you take your kick-starter additives before leaving home, but don't stumble in the dark. wink
The bad news "graffiti!" The walls of the outside loos were a sight; some of it artistic and clever, but for the rest; makes me wonder how some people can live with themselves.
So I had to spend half yesterday scrubbing them clean ahead of an inspection by OH&S and a food inspector, but we should be OK to keep trading.
The newspapers have'nt arrived yet, nor the ladies glossy mags. which I hear are required reading for some; when I've found the hammer and nails they'll be hanging in the usual place.
Otherwise, all shipshape; no brickbats through the window, and no card yet from Mick. Wonder if he's been appropriated by a predatory beige- clad B'mouth widow?
I expect my cards will be in today's post! sad
Have another good one! OoRoo

fatgran57 Thu 05-Dec-19 06:06:50

Good morning Rufus. Although it's early Thursday evening in Tasmania! You are sailing close to the wind with this postsmile Mine was a large latte but unfortunately whilst reading the rest of your post I spat it everywhere. Your cards will almost certainly be in the mail! Just as well Mick will be back tomorrow.

ScotinOz Thu 05-Dec-19 06:07:25

Good afternoon Rufus2 from a very smoke filled Sydney. We are surrounded by bush fires and the air is thick and the sun orange! Haven't done much today....stayed inside because of the smoke but will have to go out tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday ?

Take care...

Gymstagran Thu 05-Dec-19 06:22:31

Good Morning Rufus and all from a very dark and cold looking Black Country. I know you dislike the name. Getting ready for early morning gym session. Enjoy your days.

ninathenana Thu 05-Dec-19 06:42:20

Good morning and afternoon/ evening Oz from frosty Kent.

First thick frost we've had in these parts which I'm greatful for. A day of pottering after eating the cooked brecky that DH will serve about 9am. He's still snoring at the moment.
Have a good day if yours is just starting or good night.

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 06:52:00

Morning all from a chilly but dry North Leicestershire.

Butcher's and Sainsbury's for me this morning and then we are off to look after Wolfie while his mummy and daddy go to watch his big sister in her Christmas production where she is singing a solo - with 2 other people confused I hope someone records it!

Hoping life is a little easier for gilly and that marydoll is home ok.

Scentia Thu 05-Dec-19 06:53:15

Good Morning all, from a cold Staffordshire.
Just a normal work day for me, I have deliveries to do so may pop in to DD house to look at her decorating, it looked very dark on the photos, (she does like dark rooms, she claims it’s all about the lighting!)
Hope everyone has a good day and we all get just a smidgen of good news to keep our peckers up!

BlueSapphire Thu 05-Dec-19 06:55:16

Good morning Rufus and everyone. I'll have a large skinny cappuccino please!

It feels really cold this morning and there is another hard frost. Going to Milton Keynes yesterday on the bus the countryside looked beautiful with a thick mist hanging over the fields, and the tops of the trees floating above it looking like islands adrift in a sea of white.

Didn't buy much yesterday, but got what I wanted - a particular Chanel nail polish for DD, and spent my beauty voucher in M&S on some expensive foot cream and nice shower gel. Followed by Italian lunch out and a glass of red wine.

Sainsbury's delivery this morning, a bit of pottering and ballet class after lunch. No DGD to collect from school today as DDIL has taken a day off work for Christmas shopping.

Hope today goes well for all.

Beechnut Thu 05-Dec-19 07:06:31

Good Morning everyone. Good to see you have the bbq all ready for our banger butty breakfasts Rufus.

Dark, dry and misty on Severnside.

I got all I wanted to do done yesterday and the boiler serviced too. Not that I did that though.

It’s a craft class for me today and a think about my evening meal....the fridge is very bare.

I hope you all have a lovely day ?

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 05-Dec-19 07:07:08

Good morning from east London, dry outside, no frost and being dazzled by the security lights over the road. There are occasions when I can see a plus side to curtains. Tennis session this morning (the plastic dome we play in is often colder than outside due to the pressure fans needed to keep it up). Visit to check out the polling station I’ll be working at next week this afternoon then choir this evening. I admire all those who are well on with Xmas preps; I’m still in denial. Have a good day.

Greyduster Thu 05-Dec-19 07:10:32

Good morning, all and Michael in absentia (please don’t anyone say “I thought he’d gone to Bournemouth”!). It doesn’t look quite so cold in South Yorkshire this morning, and though it is still pretty dark, we have the beginnings of what looks like it might be a fabulous sunrise, so I am just going to sit here with my coffee and watch it unfold. Food shopping for us this morning and then I must get some cards written. None to Oz this year as BiL has returned to the Welsh fold! Have a good day, folks.

NanKate Thu 05-Dec-19 07:18:56

Morning All.

Dark and very cold in South Bucks.

Off to see the streaming of Present Laughter this afternoon at our local Arts centre. The leading actor, who they say is very good, was in Sherlock and played the baddie. Can someone tell me who he is ? He has very dark eyes.

I’m sure Prue you will get a video of your DGD doing her solo. Our youngest is playing the part of the Innkeeper in the school Nativity, knowing him he will put his own interpretation on it ! I too will expect a video.

Looking forward to an update from our own Marydoll.

Hoping for better news from poor Gilly and her DH. ?

Grammaretto Thu 05-Dec-19 07:20:58

Morning all from the Scottish Borders. Black outside so it's not snowy.
Mine's a tea Rufus. milk please , no sugar.

It feels too early to start the day.
Another busy one here with DGC coming to me this morning.

Glad that Marydoll is safely home.
I hope Gilly is all right.

NannyJan53 Thu 05-Dec-19 07:24:10

Good morning from a very cold and damp Black Country.

Popped round to my friends yesterday for a cuppa, mince pie and chat. She lives about 10 minutes walk away and we have known each other since we were 18!

Today I am over to Wolverhampton to have lunch with Mum, her sister and my cousin. Looking forward to that as do not see my Aunt and cousin too often.

Hoping Marydoll has arrived home safely. Thoughts with gilly and anyone who is unwell or have worries.

cornergran Thu 05-Dec-19 07:24:46

Morning All from a dark and cold corner of Somerset. Distinctly bleary eyed as poorly granddaughter was awake coughing on the hour every hour from 2. Sound asleep now of course. I could do with some caffeine rufus, hope coffee is still brewing. Guess a cough filled day ahead. Love to gilly, hope marydoll is home safe and Thursday is kind to everyone.

annsixty Thu 05-Dec-19 07:29:56

Good morning all from a cold Stockport.
Nankate do you mean Andrew Scott who played Moriarty?
He is very handsome, I hope you enjoy.
Nothing much on as usual here, I have cabin fever, going to see about my hip being replaced on Saturday, have a feeling it will be a no for now.
Have as good a day as you can folk.

Susan56 Thu 05-Dec-19 07:42:04

Good morning from Shropshire.
We had a lovely lunch out yesterday,good food and good company but I am suffering today.Looks like more things are on the list of what I can no longer eat?
Have an ex colleague coming over for coffee and a chat this morning and then collect DGD from school later for her usual Thursday sleepover.
Sending special wishes to Lins,dragonfly,Ann and anyone else with worries or health problems.
Hope that gilly had a more positive day yesterday.Sending love,thoughts and prayers gilly.x

NanKate Thu 05-Dec-19 07:44:24

Thank you Ann for the info about Andrew Scott. Yes he is rather handsome.

Nannytopsy Thu 05-Dec-19 07:46:06

Good morning everyone! Mine’s a flat white please Rufus - I need caffeine!
We have had a glorious sunrise this morning and there is just a light frost. I am off to the twice-monthly village cafe this morning. I have only made it twice in our three months here.
Best wishes to everyone for a good day. Good luck with the hip appointment Ann.

vena11 Thu 05-Dec-19 07:50:59

Good Morning from another frosty morning in Bristol, love the frosty mornings if I am not going out early, hate having to defrost the car.
Opticians appointment this morning to get new contact lenses, happy with what I have but I suppose they know best.
Hope everyone has a nice day and are escaping all these bugs that are going around at the moment.
Take care everyone.

Rufus2 Thu 05-Dec-19 07:52:01

a very smoke filled Sydney
Welcome back ScotinOz; Where have you been? Your weather sounds and looks dreadful; we share the same TV pictures of course, but I hope you are not living near any fire-fronts; smoke is bad enough, but fire adds another dimension. The fire services appear to be doing a good job of containment; the big worry is that Summer has barely started, except that it's bypassed Melb. and headed your way! Believe it or not, our central heating comes on in the evening! sad
Good Luck!

I spat it everywhere
Fatgran; Come on! it can't be that bad!? Don't forget I'm new at this job, a common-or -garden-volunteer, over-worked and under-paid. hmm
Btw; I saw your PM, but before you read my reply put down any drinks!
Cheers

GrannyGravy13 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:10:11

Good morning Rufus and all x

Melbourne is my favourite Aussie city, it holds many memories particularly at this time of year (my DD Godmother lives down near Port Melbourne)

Beautiful sunrise here in SE Essex, bright and chilly.

GS is fed and ready for school, then we are off to Chelmsford, hopefully finish the gift shopping.

Wishing Marydoll a safe journey home, hope she witnessed the Christmas tree light turn-on at the Rockerfella Centre yesterday.

gillybob thinking of you.

Urmstongrsn your PM was very kind and helped with my perspective x

Yiayia4 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:19:47

Morning all,frosty but rain forcast later.Mine's a builders tea please Rufus

Nurse YiaYia is on duty agin today!DGS is still poorly.

Hope Gilly has better news and Marydoll is home safe and sound,thinking of Dragonfly.

Have a good Thursday everyone.

Alygran Thu 05-Dec-19 08:30:06

Good morning from a slightly warmer North Yorkshire.
Off to a charity AGM this morning to present my treasurer’s report. Will then be having lunch with the members.
Tea this afternoon with a neighbour.
Terrible to see the pictures of the smoke and fire from Australia. Thinking of the people there.
Love to Gilly, hope Mary and family have a safe journey home.
To everyone, have a good day.

Brunette10 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:32:31

Good Morning all from a damp Fife. Later up today was wakened twice through the night for some reason. Visiting BIL who has just undergone an operation but will be in hospital for next 2 weeks then taking DGS2 for a couple of hours to let DD get on with some shopping. Everyone seems to be in good moods today and getting on, hopefully the day will go well for everyone.