Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(44 Posts)
Rufus2 Thu 05-Dec-19 05:45:32

G'Day once again everyone! Opening up a bit earlier as we have a busy day ahead; the kettle will be boiling soon;
good news for insomniacs and sleepwalkers, with steaming mugs of tea/coffee awaiting; even hot cocoa if ordered prior. Iced tea/coffee now off the menu due to lack of demand; not sure if we have a BYO licence, so best if you take your kick-starter additives before leaving home, but don't stumble in the dark. wink
The bad news "graffiti!" The walls of the outside loos were a sight; some of it artistic and clever, but for the rest; makes me wonder how some people can live with themselves.
So I had to spend half yesterday scrubbing them clean ahead of an inspection by OH&S and a food inspector, but we should be OK to keep trading.
The newspapers have'nt arrived yet, nor the ladies glossy mags. which I hear are required reading for some; when I've found the hammer and nails they'll be hanging in the usual place.
Otherwise, all shipshape; no brickbats through the window, and no card yet from Mick. Wonder if he's been appropriated by a predatory beige- clad B'mouth widow?
I expect my cards will be in today's post! sad
Have another good one! OoRoo

travelsafar Thu 05-Dec-19 08:37:06

Very grey and misty here in Letchworth this morning. Bonus is it is warmer. Alygran I was in your neck of the woods at the weekend, Chatswrth House on Saturday then the Christmas market in York on Sunday, cold crisp, blue sky and sunshine, just perfect for both things.smile I am off to the shops this morning to do a normal food shop and then hopefully will get my Christmas Twig out of storage and decorate this afternoon. Off out tomorrow for lunch witht he girls from the knitting group, out with my sis on Saturday and to my daughter then my son on Sunday so really need to get a wiggle on with te 'Twig' as i have a very full diary leading up to the 'day'!!!! What ever you are doing hope it all goes well.

conor Thu 05-Dec-19 08:44:48

Good morning from another lovely winter day in Essex. Yesterday's Xmas production with DGS1 was just amazing and I was a very proud, tearful Nanny! All the children behaved and performed beautifully and even DGS2 age 3 sat quietly on my lap and I didn't even need to open my bag of distractions for him(biscuits, raisins, drinks books etc) ?
Volunteering in school day today for me so expect previews of more productions and out this evening to the musical Hamilton in London as a birthday present from DS. Have seen it once already and loved it although not sure if it would appeal to everyone!
Hope everyone has the best day they can and Marydoll returns safely. We await the updates xxxx

DoraMarr Thu 05-Dec-19 08:52:27

Good morning from a very misty Birmingham. I slept in this morning after a very busy and late night hosting drinks for a group of friends. I’m hoping the fog will clear so I can go for my usual walk, then I will go to my eldest daughter’s for lunch. I haven’t seen the baby for a week because of my cold, and she is smiling now (the two things are not related.) I will bring her two year old brother back here for tea and a sleepover, for logistical reasons, because we are all going to a children’s concert tomorrow morning. So, I’d like a nice filter coffee pleas, Rufus, and one of those croissants I can see.....

Anniebach Thu 05-Dec-19 08:53:26

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Urmstongran Thu 05-Dec-19 09:07:13

Good morning everyone from sunny Malaga. Funny that you opened up Rufus as I’d just woken from a very clear dream where I was chatting away with an old friend who has lived in Perth 12y now!

Yesterday was lovely we got the train into Fuengirola and sat at a bar outside in the sun under the orange trees. It was so nice people watching - very relaxing. Then crossing the plaza by the church a couple we know who live out here arrived and joined us! I love it when that happens.

This evening we are getting the train into Malaga city to see the spectacular Christmas lights. We are taking our friend and neighbour who is 85y old today - she’s really looking forward to going as she hasn’t been for many years. We are all meeting a friend in Malaga. He lives in the city and works at Malaga Hospital as a translator. Such a nice man - he is 70y and loves his work - he has just cut his hours down these last few months and only works 2 or 3 days a week now. Semi retired I suppose!

Hope to hear from Marydoll and gillybob later. Sorry you’ve been under par with your treatment dragonfly but glad you are feeling better enough now to post once more.

GG13 ?

Hope Thursday is good to us all whether we have plans or none. x

harrigran Thu 05-Dec-19 09:08:58

Good morning from an overcast NE.
Slept late today, we had a busy day yesterday and were tired.
New bed was delivered at lunchtime and the rest of the day was spent assembling it.
Woke this morning with terrible pain in my left wrist and am unable to use fingers, thankfully I am right handed.
Thinking of gilly.

EllanVannin Thu 05-Dec-19 09:22:39

Good Morning All x.
The most beautiful red sky earlier, it was as though everywhere was on fire----remarkable. A red sky in the morning was never a good sign weatherwise, that comes next week apparently when we'll have a taste of New York, snow !

More parcels expected, so I'll sit and write cards and get them out of the way. Treated myself to a lovely jumper yesterday, a " Mint Velvet " gold thread fluffy jumper for Christmas-----beautiful stuff but not cheap.

I do have to nip out for a fresh loaf though so it's a bit of a nuisance when stuff's being delivered it makes you feel a bit tied. I vowed each year I wouldn't do this but hey-ho here we are again.

I didn't have the best of nights either, up and down like a fiddlers elbow crippled with wind and it's never good when I have bouts like that, thankfully not too often or I'd be worn out. Mint chewing gum sorts it out.

Hope the Gillybobs are doing okay also Dragonfly xx

Everyone else stay warm and well and enjoy the day whether home or away. Stay safe too.
Hope there's no jet-lag in the Marydoll household. They'll all need a good rest anyway today.

Mapleleaf Thu 05-Dec-19 09:37:26

Good morning everyone,

We do not have any frost this morning, but instead light cloud cover making it feel a little bit warmer.

Need to finish writing cards and wrapping presents, as I didn't finish this yesterday.

A few outdoor chores to do, too.

Hope you all have a good day.

Auntieflo Thu 05-Dec-19 10:50:29

Morning Rufus, Annie and all.
Up a bit earlier today as DH had an early Dr's appointment., but still takes me time to get going in the morning.
Have put two small loads of washing in the machine, so at least I have done something.
My hip/back is still so touchy, I have only to move in the wrong way, and off it goes. I have an appointment to see a physio, on Monday, so hope she will be able to help.
Yesterday I had a lovely surprise, in that I had a small win on the premium bonds.
Nothing much else planned, but I would like DH to retrieve the christmas decorations from the loft. (I am working on it)
Hoping the Gillybobs are still making a bit of progress, and all those who have been poorly, are beginning to feel better.
Have a good day one and all.

CaroleAnne Thu 05-Dec-19 11:04:42

Good your evening Rufus and good morning to everyone else. My daughter lives just outside of Newcastle NSW and is suffering from smoke. She said that the sky is orange and you could actually see particles of the dust in the air if you looked towards the sun. A terrible time for you all.
It is so good to have positive feedback from Gillybob and hope that it continues.
Hope that Marydoll arrived back from NY
safely. We are going there on the Queen Mary next December so that is something to look forward to in all this gloom at present. Only a week away from the general election.
Have a nice day everyone whatever you are doing or not, and best wishes to those who are unwell.flowers

Rufus2 Thu 05-Dec-19 11:56:41

cold looking Black Country. I know you dislike the name
Gymstagran; Could you blame me, living in the land of sand, sea and surf!? grin Only joking! My word , you've got a good memory, but you can erase all that because Dora put me on to a very interesting URL all about a site devoted to gin, or Mother's Ruin as some say! I thought there was a Gin Palace in Brum, but I can't find it on Dr. Google so maybe it's moved. Not that I like the stuff mind you!
Cheers

NfkDumpling Thu 05-Dec-19 13:08:00

Afternoon All

Its been a lovely sunny day here in the north of Norfolk but the sun is getting low already which I find rather depressing.

For the first time in for ever, I overslept this morning and didn’t wake until half eight. Fifteen minutes later having just finished my cornflakes DH appeared and asked if I’d forgotten my hair appointment. At nine. I thought it was next week. A quick lick and a promise (is that a local phrase?), dressed, out and into town and I arrived at the hairdresser two minutes early! So pleased to live near the centre!

Rufus, I’ve heard from a friend inland from Goffs Harbour that there’s a lot of smoke around again. We’ve had nothing on the news about the fires and had assumed things were better now.

dragonfly46 Thu 05-Dec-19 13:21:52

Good afternoon everyone. A late one this morning as had to set off very early this morning for a hospital appointment. Apparently my bloods are very good so all set for my third chemo tomorrow. It really cheered me up that I am doing okay although it does mean I will have 8 sessions instead of 6. Pleased I have bought most of my presents as I will be a little rough for 7 days.

I am hoping Mr Gilly is a little better and less anxious and that Marydoll has arrived back home safely after her adventures.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 05-Dec-19 13:38:13

Afternoon all from a chilly South Notts. A few chores today and then a 'do as I please' day. I've put a few Christmas decorations out.
Hope all is well with the gillybobs and others with worries.
There's nowt wrong with beige, Rufus I'll have you know.

Urmstongran Thu 05-Dec-19 14:03:07

I think it’s called ‘cream’ or ‘stone’ these days to avoid being associated with ‘oldies’
?

Marydoll Thu 05-Dec-19 18:27:50

Just to say, we have arrived home safely, on the go for 27 hrs, little sleep, no internet this afternoon, so consequently no updates, possible. sad

I have had my IT hat on trying to solve the problem, but my addled, sleep deprived brain couldn't cope and DH wouldn't listen!!!?
You will never believe the latest disaster(s)......................✈?
More tomorrow!

Grammaretto Thu 05-Dec-19 19:09:56

Marydoll good news that you are safely home but what happened??

Rufus2 Fri 06-Dec-19 06:25:47

There's nowt wrong with beige
lovebeige Nowt at all! Otherwise we'd have to call you "hatebeige"
Sir Ken Dodd once noted that the audiences at his afternoon Seniors' shows were mainly dressed in beige, so he renamed the show "Fifty Shades of Beige!"
There was nowt wrong with Sir Ken either! grin