Gransnet forums

Chat

Odd (shocking?) requests

(21 Posts)
Ninarosa Sat 07-Dec-19 16:17:18

I visited an elderly gent who was in the middle of donning his only suit, in preparation for an imminent funeral. As he struggled into the trousers the zipper snagged at the bottom.
He innocently asked if I would sew him into his trousers.
I was gobsmacked, but could see the sense in this.
I'm not sure whose face was reddest, as I knelt down in front of him with my needle and thread.

MerylStreep Sat 07-Dec-19 15:20:09

Many years ago before cross dressing was the norm I would often see and chat with a male neighbour while at the supermarket.
Walking home together one day he said "I've often seen you sewing" I did machine in front of one of the bedroom windows.
Then he asked if I would make him some clothes? I told him I'm not a shirt maker. He said " come across and have a chat" which I did. He was a cross dresser and wanted me to make him some dresses and skirts, which I did ?

Sillygrandma5GK Sat 07-Dec-19 14:50:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoraMarr Sat 07-Dec-19 13:46:57

When I was at college I had a holiday job in a well-known family clothing business. The founder’s son, a n elderly man, came in for a few hours every day- like MrGrace in “Are you being served?” One day I was summoned to his office, and we had a polite conversation about my job there and my future plans. Then he asked me if I would like to come and sit on his lap. I said no thank you, and he gave me some toffees from a tin on his desk, and that was that. Apparently he did the same with all new female employees.

kircubbin2000 Sat 07-Dec-19 12:58:23

One day at the gym I saw the husband of a friend so I introduced myself and we had a nice chat. On my way home he came chasing after me and asked me if I would,like to have an affair with him as she had said she no longer wanted sex!
I was shocked but even more so when I discovered he was 80.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 07-Dec-19 12:27:16

I was 27 and had a theatrical career when a pianist, who was literally old enough to be my grandfather, kissed me in the course of a rehearsal in my home with no-one else present.

I asked him to leave and refused to work with him again.

He did apologise, but I was certain I could never feel at ease in his company again, or trust him for that matter.

Hetty58 Sat 07-Dec-19 12:19:54

Yes, BlueSky, or they'd spread rumours that you were a lesbian. They live on another planet where they're God's gift to women, so live in eternal hope!

BlueSky Sat 07-Dec-19 12:09:47

Lovebeigecardigans yes a lot of went on in the working place would now be classed as sexual harassment. I remember cringing 'compliments' and if you said anything they would ask what on earth was wrong with you!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 07-Dec-19 11:54:38

When I was young and in my first job with no self-confidence whatsoever the horrible middle-aged, greasy haired boss asked me if I would ever consider having an affair. I was horrified and can't recall what I said but gave my notice in soon after. Nowadays it would be called sexual harassment. How on earth he thought that I'd be interested in him I can't fathom.

sunseeker Sat 07-Dec-19 10:56:19

When on holiday years ago we met a couple in a bar, we were getting on well when the man whispered something to my DH, he looked shocked, shook his head and then said we were leaving. It wasn't until we were out of the bar that my DH told me the man had suggested wife swapping!

Less shocking I was once asked by my boss to sew buttons on his shirt - told him I didn't think that was in my job description.

grannyactivist Sat 07-Dec-19 10:42:11

My daughter once stopped her car at a junction and an elderly man opened the car door and settled himself into the passenger seat! My daughter’s a nurse and was on her way to work - she was completely taken aback when, in a very plummy accent he introduced himself as the local Lord and told her (not asked her) to take him home as he couldn’t find a taxi. And she did!

She said she was so shocked that she basically just did as she was commanded, apparently you ‘had to be there’ to understand that saying ‘no’ was not an option.

henetha Sat 07-Dec-19 10:35:50

I met a chap when I was about 18 and on our second date he wanted me to meet some friends of his and asked if I would pretend to be his fiance. He produced a curtain ring and put it on my finger. I was too shy to say no, so I spent the aftenoon with these stranger talking about my , - non-existent - forthcoming wedding and all the details of where we would live etc.

timetogo2016 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:09:42

Whilst going through a divorce but still under the same roof separate bedrooms etc.
The grotbag asked me if I would be his F buddy.
It took a few seconds to understand what it was but once the penny dropped I told it where to go.
Tbh I`m still amazed it had the nerve to even suggest it even after 11 years.

BlueSky Thu 05-Dec-19 21:04:39

About thirty years ago I went on a business trip with an acquaintance, a respectable middle class middle aged gentleman. We were both married and knew each other's partners. Our rooms had communicating doors which I duly locked, thinking he would no doubt be offended if he noticed. The following morning over breakfast he said he had been very tempted to come into my room, in fact he had been hoping I would go into his! I was simply shocked as I would have never expected such a behaviour from him. Needless to say I didn't go on any further business trips in his company.

Sara65 Thu 05-Dec-19 17:05:23

I think she apologetically explained she wouldn’t know where to begin.

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-Dec-19 17:03:43

I hope she said no, Sara! envy

Sara65 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:31:08

This happened to my daughter, she moved into a new flat, and one night the old gentleman from down the corridor knocked on her door with a pile of assorted pyjamas and long johns , and asked her if she’d mind doing a bit of darning, they weren’t even clean clothes!

Mapleleaf Thu 05-Dec-19 15:40:21

Glad you clarified that, Missfoodlove ??

Missfoodlove Thu 05-Dec-19 14:59:21

I should add not appalled at the fact I declined???

Missfoodlove Thu 05-Dec-19 14:58:26

A neighbour 30 years ago told me she and her husband were swingers.
It seems their “friends” were moving away so she very casually asked if my husband and myself would like to fill the vacancy!!!
I was a naive 26 year old.
I did decline.
My husband was appalled ?

grannyactivist Thu 05-Dec-19 14:39:48

A friend came to visit me recently and somehow we got around to talking about odd requests. I told her about the time my son, then ten years old, asked me if he could dye his hair blue.

My friend was so shocked when I told her that I did dye his hair that I actually laughed out loud. He had it coloured on the first evening of the summer break and on the last day I gave him a buzzcut, so he went back to school with his hair as normal, if a little shorter.

My friend couldn't think of anything she's ever been asked to do that she thought was as shocking as that! So, over to you - have you ever been surprised/shocked by a request and what did you do?