Gransnet forums

Chat

Which country would you choose to live if you couldn’t live where you are?

(131 Posts)
crystaltipps Fri 06-Dec-19 07:41:10

If you had to flee the country you are currently living in, which country would you choose to live in? I would happily live in Ireland, Italy, France or Canada - all places I’ve lived in or have family. I wouldn’t want to live in Australia - too hot or the USA - too many guns. But haven’t visited either, so I suppose it boils down to the familiar.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:46:52

crystal similar question different issue??

I would choose anywhere in Europe I think.

GagaJo Fri 06-Dec-19 07:48:38

China. Not the most logical choice, but I have such wonderful friends there. It has become my 2nd home.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:58:16

Oh gagajo how interesting!! We used to frequently have a Chinese Hong Kong student who was friendly with my son. Her parents lived in main land China and Pricilla (she took a western name?) spoke both Cantonese and mandarin. Lovely bubbly young lady.

She teaches maths in Hong Kong now.

annep1 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:59:16

I'm in Northern Ireland. The south of England for me. So much history, beautiful countryside, just enough warm weather and sunshine, lovely little villages and churches, within easy reach of London and Europe.

Sara65 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:04:03

I’m always drawn by the Scandinavian countries

Mapleleaf Fri 06-Dec-19 08:29:55

New Zealand.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:31:30

annep you’d be very welcome too???.

Hetty58 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:36:39

Another one for NZ!

sodapop Fri 06-Dec-19 08:42:20

Yes I would like one of the Scandinavian countries too Sara65 for the climate and they seem so civilised.

sodapop Fri 06-Dec-19 08:43:23

Canada is high on my list too.

Nortsat46 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:43:32

I would like to rotate throughout the year please:
Provence in the spring
Norway in the summer
New England in the autumn
Portugal in the winter.

Teetime Fri 06-Dec-19 08:50:07

Italy- food, wine, art- Bliss!

Buffybee Fri 06-Dec-19 08:50:25

I would chose Australia, in particular Queensland where my best childhood friend lives.
I visited two years ago for six weeks, not too sure what to expect and I absolutely loved it.
The people are lovely, down to earth and friendly and the place itself is just beautiful.

Anniebach Fri 06-Dec-19 08:59:37

Shropshire, England, just over the border please

Pantglas2 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:27:04

Spain - the life, the people, the food, the language. I feel so lucky to spend so much time there and wish I’d done it in the early 70s when I had the chance.

Missfoodlove Fri 06-Dec-19 09:31:28

Slovenia.
Just beautiful, clean, great health and education.
Low crime.

Kittye Fri 06-Dec-19 09:31:59

Italy for me. Love the place ❤️

JenniferEccles Fri 06-Dec-19 09:33:01

This is an interesting question and one which I’m sure we have all asked ourselves over the years on our holidays.

Although I have enjoyed all our holidays abroad, the food , the different cultures and people, I can honestly say that I can’t think of a single country where I would be as happy as I am here.

For that reason I would have to, reluctantly, chose South Wales purely because it would be easy to return to the Home Counties where I live.

I guess that makes me a Little Englander then ? !!

Septimia Fri 06-Dec-19 09:35:56

Scandinavia appeals to me, too, especially as we've spent several long holidays there.

But our 'run-away-to' place is Orkney.

optimist Fri 06-Dec-19 09:49:35

HOLLAND without a doubt. Wish I had moved there when I was younger. So free from class restrictions/school restrictions. Good elderly care. such open people.

Shalene777 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:50:19

I used to live in NZ and couldn't wait to get back to the UK. Doesn't matter where you go there will be things you dislike and things that you crave from home.

Coconut Fri 06-Dec-19 09:51:45

Another one for Italy here, just love the place and go back every year !

TerriBull Fri 06-Dec-19 10:00:21

France probably, I have cousins there and went every year for quite a while, but haven't been recently. Do love it though. I also really liked quite a bit of the USA that we have visited, and at times have thought I could live there although it has its downsides. Canada is probably a more acceptable society, stayed in Vancouver when we went which is quite temperate compared to other parts with a much harsher climate, but a Canadian told us that they once had almost 3 months where it rained every day, no thanks! Conversely, when I nearly went to live in Australia, stayed in Perth, blue skies every day made me miss the seasons of home confused Have heard New Zealand is pretty perfect, well apart from the odd earthquake, I haven't been, but we have friends there who paint a pretty good picture of it.

Davida1968 Fri 06-Dec-19 10:02:47

Denmark or maybe New Zealand.