Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's new kitchen being built while she's absent!

(1001 Posts)
Baggs Fri 06-Dec-19 17:00:32

Right, kitcheners, get busy. You know the routine. The tin of flapjacks to keep you going is in the corner with a kettle. The water's already on.

Charleygirl5 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:21:42

morethan that is heart-rending.flowers

grannyqueenie Sat 18-Jan-20 21:30:38

How heartbreaking for you all, morethan, your dil Is such a strong woman to still be here, her determination shines through despite her physical decline. Sending love to you, I often think of you flowers x

Doodle Sat 18-Jan-20 21:39:37

ann and morethan isn’t this what dear soop’s kitchen is for? A place where all are welcome. Where we care for each other. No need to mention everyone ann just come in and chat.
morethan I am so sorry for you and your family. You are in the thoughts and prayers of many in the kitchen. You are the rock holding the family together so come in here and hang onto us whenever you need to. x

Synonymous Sat 18-Jan-20 21:48:19

Dear morethan just letting you know that we continue to uphold you and yours in our prayers.
I was wondering if you had considered reading to your lovely DIL. We have done this ourselves and used just very short little articles which don't require any interaction and are good for reflection and keeping the mind occupied. Also good for the reader as it gives a sense of purpose and being able to do something if only a small thing. My mother loved 'Anne of Green Gables' and since she knew it so well it made her smile which was so good to see. I also used 'Grace' magazine which is sadly no longer printed but someone else may know of something similar ie wholesome with a wide spectrum of poems, short stories, garden talk, holiday reminiscing, recipes and similar.
We would very gently do small massages just of feet or hands if she couldn't bear anything more. I think she loved to be gently touched. One thing she could manage was a little chilled fruit jelly.
As for yourself don't forget to take a short daily walk if at all possible, it is easy to forget about caring for the carer! If you can find just a few snowdrops she may well like those. We have just a few in the garden atm.
Blessings flowers x

morethan2 Sun 19-Jan-20 00:07:54

Thank you all once again for your supportive posts. It’s all so very sad. My 10 year old granddaughter telephone to ask to come over this evening for a sleep over. Our house is in chaos because we are having a new kitchen fitted. I simply couldn’t understand why she’d want to come but of course we welcomed her. While she’s been here her mobile kept ringing because her other granny wanted to know if her mum had taken her medication. That’s such a lot of responsibility for a ten year old. Now I understand why she wants to be here.( I can also understand her other granny. She is beside herself with worry and distress.) Here she’s treated like a little girl with no demands. Last week the 7 year old stayed with us. After she left I saw she’d made all the beds and cleaned the bathroom. When I next saw her I thanked her and she said mummy has told her she has to take more responsibility and these are her jobs. I know it’s for the best but it’s made me realise that all my efforts to help minimise the damage to the children maybe wasted they are already damaged we just can’t see it yet but we will when they are grown and look back. My son keeps apologising because he thinks our lives revolve around him and he feels guilty. I reassure him we are fine. It’s all so very very sad. My sister wanted us to go to Spain to stay with her to get away from the dust of fitting the kitchen but I just can’t be that far away. So she’d paid for a Warner’s stay for us. I’ll let you know how it goes. I must stop drinking gin it’s making me maudlin. I’m only drinking it because we’re clearing the kitchen cupboards. Grandad isn’t having any because there’s a granddaughter upstairs. Thank you all for giving me the space to get this off my chest. It really helps.

harrigran Sun 19-Jan-20 00:13:22

I feel for you morethan, sending my love and hoping that you can help the children through this difficult time.

MawB Sun 19-Jan-20 00:18:28

Dear Morethan your 7 year old DGD’s response and actions have me close to tears. This is beyond endurance for you all, but you will survive, stronger than ever. But oh how I feel for you and wish this were not so xxx

Feelingmyage55 Sun 19-Jan-20 00:24:57

morethan. I am so sad for how heart sore your family is. You are obviously so loved by your family for your GCs to seek you as a “port in a storm”. Pancakes and cuddles for your little one tomorrow and a film, game or walk then hot chocolate. Will do you both some good to “escape” for a few hours. I send you prayers and love.

Izabella Sun 19-Jan-20 06:32:37

more than flowers

mumofmadboys Sun 19-Jan-20 06:48:42

Thoughts and love to you morethan.x

Susan56 Sun 19-Jan-20 07:27:31

Sending love,thoughts and prayers to you and your family morethan?

cornergran Sun 19-Jan-20 07:27:59

Oh morethan, my heart goes out to you all, sending love and a hug feels so inadequate

dragonfly46 Sun 19-Jan-20 07:33:14

morethan I am so sorry your family are going through all this. I am pleased it helps to offload on here. We are all behind you and wish to provide any support we can. [ flowers]

kittylester Sun 19-Jan-20 07:38:35

morethan, I have hust caught up with this thread.

I have no words for you and your lovely family but send lots of love and the wish I could do something to help.

Marydoll Sun 19-Jan-20 08:36:11

Morethan, what unbearable sorry your family has, I'm in tears reading this.
How kind of your sister. Warners is a good idea, as you also need to think of your own wellbeing and have a break.
Knowing what a loving mother and MIL you are, I suspect you will spend the whole time worrying about everyone else, instead of yourself. flowers

annsixty Sun 19-Jan-20 09:23:48

morethan flowers

Callistemon Sun 19-Jan-20 10:09:44

morethan I'm so sorry to read your update. It is so hard for you all but especially for your DGD who are so young. They sound like wonderful girls.
Your break should do you good and you won't be too far away.
Going overseas at the moment could make you more anxious.

flowers

Ps gin can be a depressant, I know from experience

eazybee Sun 19-Jan-20 10:51:54

Oh, Morethan2.
What to say?

soop Sun 19-Jan-20 13:16:18

morethan Your granddaughters are inspirational. You must feel the urge to wrap them in your arms so that no more pain can reach them. If only that could be so. flowers

lavenderzen Sun 19-Jan-20 13:31:12

morethan flowers

Synonymous Sun 19-Jan-20 15:45:18

Dear morethan please be assured that your DGDs are not damaged, they have experienced far more than many youngsters of their ages but children are much more resilient than you think and they will take hidden depths on into their adult lives. They already sound as if they are very special little people.
Their mummy has given them jobs to do and when everything is over you will find that they will continue to do them because they will feel the need to maintain that link. It will be a challenge to help them to relax and they will need so much love and understanding as they may have unexpected reactions and your talking naturally about their mummy will be so important to them. You will undoubtedly be given professional help but your own instincts will be your greatest help.
You and Mrmorethan are clearly recognised as a safe refuge and you will need to make sure you are good supports for each other and not just for the rest of the family. I hope you will manage to get a good holiday when you feel able.
It certainly makes you realise what is most important in life doesn't it. Gentle (((hugs))) flowers flowers

soop Sun 19-Jan-20 16:53:20

Synonymous Your message to morethan is so right in every sense. I wish that I had your way with words. Thank you.

I have just this minute taken a photo of a perfect sunset. I shall share with you tomorrow.

TOYA and wishing you a peaceful evening. smile moon

Greyduster Sun 19-Jan-20 19:19:05

Bless your girls, Morethan. My heart goes out to them and to you.

Cherrytree59 Sun 19-Jan-20 19:28:36

morethan and your lovely family. ?s and thanks

Doodle Sun 19-Jan-20 19:55:38

synonymous has put it so well. morethan, when your grandchildren look back they may be sad but what they will remember is that you were there for them. Even when times are tough they will know that they are loved and cared for. I feel so for all your dear family are going through.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion