Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(70 Posts)
12Michael Mon 09-Dec-19 06:11:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and wet start here in Brackley this morning.
Easy day , electricians finally decommissioning the old smoke alarm today.
Usual day of some housework etc.
Mick

Lins1066 Mon 09-Dec-19 08:22:18

Good Morning Mick and all from a still windy South Wales.
We had a very stormy weekend and sadly lots of Christmas events were cancelled.
A Happy Anniversary to Brunette and her DH. ?
Have a good day all.

Alygran Mon 09-Dec-19 08:23:08

Good morning from wild and windy North Yorkshire.
Congratulations Brunette and Sprout.
Dragonfly hope you are ok. Chemo is a tough road.
Into town today for a few more cards and lots of stamps then helping at a Christmas cooking event this afternoon for a local charity before meeting fellow trustees for our Christmas dinner later.
Hope we hear from Gilly. Good wishes to everyone struggling. Hope there is sunshine in your day.

Yiayia4 Mon 09-Dec-19 08:28:06

Morning all very blustery here.
Had a lovely day with youngest GS yesterday he,s a delight but talks for England!
Bit more shopping housework today,catching up from last week.

Hope we have some news from Gilly and Dragonfly and everyone has a nice day.

Scentia Mon 09-Dec-19 08:32:41

Good Morning from a chilly Staffordshire.

Awake a lot of the night as the heating was still on and wouldn’t go off. Note to self though when DH is stomping about naked trying to sort it at 2am don’t say “could it be that button I pressed this afternoon”!!!!
He has text me this morning to say don’t ring a heating engineer I will look at it☹️
Busy time at our factory this next two weeks in the build up to Christmas Break.

My ‘Christmas Day’ shopping is arriving tonight as we will be celebrating ours with our brood on Saturday.
Wonder how long it is until I pop the Pringles open? I give myself 2 hours maximum?

Good wishes to all above and all to come, hoping Mr Gillybob is improving.

mancgirl Mon 09-Dec-19 08:35:56

Morning all from a calm, sunny Costa Blanca. A "doing" day today. Few chores, food shop - if they are open, another holiday here - and a late tapas lunch. I like the sound of your wine Mondays urmstongransmile. Hope everyone has a nice Monday. Check in later hoping for news from Gilly

Nannytopsy Mon 09-Dec-19 08:42:13

Good morning Mick and his followers. We stayed up until the end of MOTD2 last night and as a result overslept! Go Wolves, another point ?.
Suffolk is still very windy but the builders were here bright and early. Better get up I suppose!
I have a repeat blood test this morning so I have been dry and carb free for a few days in a (probably vain) attempt to manipulate the results.

Nannytopsy Mon 09-Dec-19 08:43:25

Hope the drugs work Nankate!.

love0c Mon 09-Dec-19 08:44:13

Happy Monday everyone, dentist for me at 11 am. Had a huge filling on Thursday and when eating cheese on toast on Saturday out it came. I think the old amalgam fillings are best for big back teeth. It is all white ones now. Glad when that is done. Hope your pain subsides Kate.

Anniebach Mon 09-Dec-19 08:51:25

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

NfkDumpling Mon 09-Dec-19 08:52:24

Morning All

Over slept this morning after a restless night. I have opened the curtains but the day doesn’t seem to want to get up either. It’s semi-light out there and very wet and windy. Children are hurrying past to school quietly with heads down. At least the car is getting a final rinse after I washed it yesterday. (It was a necessary wash, I couldn’t find it on a car park because I couldn’t see the colour). The Costa Blanca sounds wonderful mancgirl.

Off to the travel clinic today for holiday jabs for our trip to Africa in a couple of months time. Yellow fever. I feel sure I had it many moons ago but my records have gone AWOL. The we can sort out visas. I suspect it’ll be our last Big Trip. We’ve been very lucky. Very lucky indeed.

Don’t you go overdoing it Marydoll, your ‘holiday’ sounded more of a survival weekend. Bestest vibes and wishes as always for Dragonfly and the Gillybobs. flowers

BlueSapphire Mon 09-Dec-19 08:59:56

Good morning all from a sunny Northampton, although it looks and sounds very windy. Bit late this morning as due to a run of really long sleepless nights I took a sleeping tablet last night, and slept through till nearly 8 this morning. And felt a lot better for for it. My GP prescribed these in August and this was the first one of the pack I'd taken. They are strictly emergency only!

Really enjoyed the screened showing of Les Mis at the cinema yesterday, all 3 hours of it! Thanks to the BBC series on earlier this year I can now follow the story!

Going to neighbours for coffee later, probably about 4 or 5 of us there. There will be home-made cake!

And tonight it is our wine club Christmas dinner at a country pub/restaurant not far away, which should be very enjoyable if I can remember what I've ordered! (Taxis are booked!)

Hope today goes well for all.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:02:56

Goodmorning Mick and all

Blue sky here in SE Essex.

I am off to the gym this morning Then we are going to buy a real Christmas tree for the lounge, hopefully decorate it this evening and finish it tomorrow morning.

Thinking of gillybob and dragonfly and anyone else who is feeling "under the weather"

Sprout Mon 09-Dec-19 09:05:14

Hi NanKate yes getting married in June 2020 after 53yrs of marriage my husband passed away and I have been very lucky to meet another wonderful man who lost his wife. I will be living in Essex instead of my beloved Kent. But my family like him etc so all well with the world.

paintingthetownred Mon 09-Dec-19 09:12:04

Good morning from North Somerset.
I quite like Mondays. Last week though was a nighmare as daughter came down with the flu on the Saturday right before her mock olevels. So this week I'm hoping will be brighter for us.

Waiting for plumber to come and fix 1950s water stop cock so that later this week (hurrah) I can have dishwasher installed that I had saved up for.

all best
painting

Grammaretto Mon 09-Dec-19 09:30:18

Congratulations Sprout! that is a lovely story and I hope you are happy together for a long time.

conor Mon 09-Dec-19 09:45:39

Good morning from a very bright Essex. My quick 'pop' to the shops yesterday turned into a 3 hour marathon. Think I will only stop when shops, are closed on Xmas Eve!! Must get my overseas cards posted today and finish the decorations. DD is taking me out for a festive evening. Not sure where we are going but hope it will involve food and drinkssmile Thinking of everyone with worries and troubles and hope Marydoll is kind to DH?? and we hear from Gillybobs xxx

harrigran Mon 09-Dec-19 09:50:50

Good morning from a sunny NE, it is a beautiful winter day.
Still no wish lists from GC, no shopping started, I am starting to slightly panic. It happens most years so I should have expected it.
GD called in after doing her shopping for school friends, an hour in town and she had a bagful of gifts.
Asked GD what she would like "just an iphone Grandma" ?

Kalu Mon 09-Dec-19 11:28:51

Good morning from a sunny Glasgow. A very welcome change from what was a very stormy weekend.

A romantic visit to the dump for DH and I? then rehanging last pair of curtains to go back up.

I am preparing myself to have a go at gold leafing today on a small frame. I thought a small frame was a good choice as it may well be a disaster. Such fiddly stuff to work with so I will be digging deep for some patience?

Happy anniversary Brunette. We celebrated our 45th last week. How time flies!

What a lovely story Sprout Many good wishes for the future.

Hope everyone has a pleasant day with positive vibes for gilly and dragonfly

Take it easy today Marydoll and I hope you feel better as the day goes on.

Greyduster Mon 09-Dec-19 11:34:02

C’mon Harri - dig deep! You know you want to!?

EllanVannin Mon 09-Dec-19 12:04:00

A late Good Morning to All x
Beautifully sunny and breezy a good wash day but I've got none to do unfortunately.

I got carried away with blitzing the place yesterday before I got chance to sit myself down or nothing would have been done. Nets washed, windows cleaned, hoovered and polished. Then prepared dinner, wrote some cards then nipped to the post box.

The first real sit down I had was eating my dinner and by the time I'd finished Attenborough was on so that was that.

I can sympathise with the tree situation Marydoll. I always made sure it was a weekday when I was working----out of the way from the faffing of my late H---it had to be just so with the lights evenly placed and not slung around the tree. Then the decorations had to be orderly.

Lord knows how long he used to spend on it ( I never used to ask ) It would have driven me barmy, but that's how he was, then he'd stand back to admire his handywork ( about a dozen times )

Anyway, I hope the nausea settles itself, a plain biscuit if you can manage it--a ginger one, though you'll know what works best.

Anyone else not up to the mark I hope it improves before the day's out.

Thoughts as always to the Gillybobs xx and to thank those for their kind wishes that do give me a lift x

This last stint has gone quick Urmstongran. Now you can join the onslaught in town after your renewed energy.

Rufus2 Mon 09-Dec-19 12:04:52

Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?

footer in Scots means to fidget or fumble and the noun – as in ach, he's an auld footer – designates someone (DH) who is a nuisance or exasperating
Mary; I see your N00 York trip has done you a power of good; or was that a different Mary?
Please remember that this is now the season of "Goodwill to ALL Men!" hmm
OoRoo

Marydoll Mon 09-Dec-19 12:29:01

My dear Rufus, some men can make it very difficult for women to show goodwill towards them. wink
Those who know me, know that much of what I say is tongue in cheek.
DH is a good man, but he has behaved true to form in the last hour and I'm tearing my hair out in exasperation. Christmas will be over, by the time he puts those blasted lights on.
I have retreated to GN, to save my sanity. grin

Rufus2 Mon 09-Dec-19 12:33:28

G'Day Megs: Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, but other things kept getting in the way. Thank you for your kind words about thank yous (that doesn't look right!)
The early morning sight of poor grannies clutching mugs of steaming hot beverages was sufficient reward in itself; although speaking of reward, there weren't many tips in the jar. Blame it on Brexit again, I suppose!
One thing I've learned from that job is not to volunteer for the GN Medical Centre when the staff go on their skiing holidays. Looking at recent daily sick-lists, the job would put me on the list permanently! sad
Keep that "naughty stool " well polished; I might need it soon! hmm
OoRoo

Kalu Mon 09-Dec-19 12:39:00

I have just gone all unnecessary with visions of my DH in his kilt! Phwoar!

Damn you Rufus. I am trying to concentrate on gilting a frame?? thistle

Rufus2 Mon 09-Dec-19 13:47:41

some men can make it very difficult for women to show goodwill towards them
Mary; tongue in cheek or not, you're demonstrating very little good will there; although he's not wearing a kilt like what your.DH probably wears all the time, so he's got to be a Sassenach, poor fellow! sad